“A fine place in Syracuse”

The Genesee Grande Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed March 20, 2011

The Genesee Grande is a great choice if you stay in downtown Syracuse. It is an elegant hotel with an unusual layout which makes the rooms look rather interesting. The property is well maintained and clean. The room was fine and had a B&B look. The bed was very comfortable. The furniture looked a bit outdated and the television in our room was really old by today's standards. However, our experience there was a great one and we would stay there again when in Syracuse.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
ParkviewManagment, Front Office Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

Thank you for the great feedback on your recent stay with us. We greatly value your time and excited to have you as part of our ever-growing family. We look forward to your return.

Genesee Grande Staff & Management

Reviewed March 13, 2011

I booked this hotel at the last minute and was very pleased with the outcome. I wish all non-chain hotels were are nice as this place. The staff was extremely pleasant, and the rooms were spotless. We had great service in the lounge after a busy day out and we had a nice breakfast in the morning. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
ParkviewManagment, Front Office Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

We take pride in providing all of our guests with exceptional service. We are extremely pleased to hear your stay with us met your expectations. We truly appreciate you taking time aside and sharing your wonderful thoughts about our property and staff. We look forward to seeing you again.

Thank you.

Staff & Management

Reviewed March 11, 2011

This hotel is nice but I don't know how it figures its rooms are worth more than US$160 a night. If the average rate was $100, I'd be giving this place a five star review.

If you are going to charge someone that kind of money, put a coffee maker in the room!!! Don't make your guests get dressed and go down to the lobby to get coffee and then only provide cream. I know it sounds like such a little thing but other coffee drinkers know what I mean. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that didn't have a coffee maker.

We were given a double room. Fine, no big deal except the beds took up the entire room. The bathroom was also extremely small. The walls are quite thin so if there is a wedding reception going on, you'll hear it (we did).

There was no room service menu in the room. The guest directory made mention of many sections that were no longer in the directory. Also, check-out time is listed at noon in the directory but 11am on the website.

We booked through Hotwire. As others have reported, maybe they aren't that interested in catering to guests who book through those types of interent sites. We wanted to be close to Dinosaur Ribs so we based our choice on location (and stars, of course).

Again, if this hotel have average rates of $100, I'd be giving it five stars but it is not a good enough hotel for those rates. Again, no coffee maker.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write up a review and bring your concerns to us. Please accept our apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. It is our goal to provide each of our guests with an equally exceptional experience. We would like you to know, we do offer coffee makers as well as many other amenities upon request. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Staff & Management

Reviewed March 7, 2011

My kudos to Genessee Grande Hotel and it's professional staff; my colleague and I were treated like absolute royalty during our stay. Our room was clean, spacious and the beds and linens were very comfortable-very much appreciated after a long day of travel! We took advantage of the onsite fitness center, and appreciated many fine details such as the complimentary Aveda toiletries. Other highlights were our superb meal at the onsite 1060 Restaurant. We look forward to our next stay at the Genessee Grande Hotel!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
ParkviewManagment, Front Office Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

We would like to thank you for your excellent review of our staff and property. We are thrilled to hear you had a great experience and look forward to your return in the near future.

Genesee Grande Hotel Staff & Management

Reviewed October 28, 2010

pleasantly surprised by the extremely accomodating staff, convenient parking (free) great food although a little pricey, and the super cleanliness of the entire hotel. Great fitness center! I absolutely loved it. A tightly run ship with staff that loves their job and treats one another like family and it shows when they contact the guests! Free wifi and great tv channels all free as well as Spanish ones. Did I mention free airport shuttle? I wish I owned this place.. Move over Marriott!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Stayed here while interviewing for Upstate. Overall I was impressed and would recommend to others, but you have to approach this with realistic expectations. The lobby is old world gorgeous. If I were a man of leisure, it would have been a pleasure to sit and read the paper there. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. The rooms were very nicely decorated also with an old world charm. The bed was very comfortable and my room was quite quiet.

Now the caveats. This is not a new hotel, so the rooms are slightly small. I didn't have a flat screen or a coffee machine in my room. On the other hand, it didn't feel like a cookie cutter Best Western with some high end amenities tacked on like many 4 star places feel. This place has soul.

The neighborhood also leaves something to be desired, but that's really a function of Syracuse in general. It is not unsafe, but it is on the periphery of the University area and there's nothing of interest in the immediate surroundings. Upstate and SU are a 10 minute walk, Marshall street with its student amenities is about the same. But if you're looking for a good meal then you'll be driving or taking a cab to Armory Square. I haven't tried the hotel restaurant, but the time I was here for an industry sponsored dinner, the meal was terrible.

Finally, there was a major service faux paus. I was part of a group interviewing for residency and there was supposed to be van transportation to Upstate Hospital provided by the hotel. I confirmed that they would take me.When I got down to the desk at the appointed time, I and several other people found out that the van had left early to take someone else and we had to scramble to make it to our interviews on time.

All of that said, when it came time to visit Syracuse with my wife to find a place for us to live, this was the hotel I wanted to stay in.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stayed at the Genesee Grande this past weekend when my husband was attending a conference in Syracuse. We received this hotel after bidding on Priceline, and we very satisfied with the hotel. We had a clean, quiet, and renovated room with a queen size bed. Breakfast at the hotel was expensive, around $35, but because we had received a good deal through Priceline, and because there wasn't anywhere else to eat close by, we made due. The staff at the hotel was gracious and helpful. It also has free wi-fi!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
ParkviewManagment, Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and share your pleasant experience with other guests. We’re happy to read your wonderful remarks and are delighted to find you enjoyed your time with us in Syracuse. Our staff looks forward to seeing you sometime soon.