“This stay was one of the worst we have had!”

Comfort Inn Fairgrounds
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
“This stay was one of the worst we have had!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I always look up on travelzoo before we book any hotel. I was happy at the reviews but was terribly disappointed! Our first room smelled so must and once in we saw why! There was mold covering the walls. My husband went down to speak with the reception attendant and they moved us to another room (with a jacuzzi). Welter second room still smelled musty but we were gonna overlook it this time! That is until a spider crawled out of my bed, the floors were incredibly dirty, and their was hair stuck all over the blankets. Once again my husband went to talk with the lady, 45 min later (almost 1am Thanksgiving night) he came back and had went through 5 other rooms before they found one with two double bed with one of the beds ok enough to sleep in. If it were not for family keeping my two small boys we would have had them with us too. Needless to stay we will never stay again and were very disappointed with the outcome. We left exhausted and with a bad taste in our mouth! Please consider another hotel!!

• Stayed November 2012
gm_ny090, General Manager at Comfort Inn Fairgrounds, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
My apologies for this unusual experience at our hotel. It looks like our guest service agent felt your frustration during this late night check in and did not charge you for your stay ! Again my apologies. I hope you will return during a future visit to Syracuse and give us another chance, Perhaps when our renovations are complete.

MaryJo A.
Geberal Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
philadelphia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Fairgrounds October 11th, 2012. Upon arrival we were greeted by a nice young lady who promptly checked us in. The hotel was near empty, I am not sure if this is slow this time of year but it was crazy empty. The lobby area was nice and the hotel itself was under renovation but you would only know it by the equipment outside, as there was no noise to bother you.

The room were adequate and recently updated. I didn't take advantage of the breakfast, but was told by companions that it was very good. The staff was very helpful also.

All in all a very good experience. I do agree that a sign for the hotel at the access road would be welcomed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
gm_ny090, General Manager at Comfort Inn Fairgrounds, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for staying with us here at The Comfort Inn Fairgrounds! Your comments are certainly helpful and we are continuing to make some great improvements based on our guests comments. It would be a pleasure to have you back and I hope you will choose us again soon !

Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We got a great horseshow rate. nice enough rooms, as they looked like they had recenlty been renovated. Check is was a bit slow. It would be a great help to weary travelors if there was a sign for the hotel at the entrance to the access road.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
gm_ny090, General Manager at Comfort Inn Fairgrounds, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank You so much for staying with us! Your comments are greatly appreciated and so helpful in allowing us to make the right improvements! We are still working on our renovations and we have some great improvements to come! Come on back and stay with us again , we would love to have you and certainly would appreciate your opinion on your next visit!

Thanks again for staying with us a The Comfort Inn Fairgrounds!
bethesda, md
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was one of the few hotels with availability during the time we needed to be in Syracuse to move my son into school. The timing also coincided with the state fair, so it was sold out. The front desk staff were pleasant despite being slammed by some rude guests- including people who didn't have reservations!!! This hotel was basic, good and clean. While the university is only about 15 minutes away, from the direction we were coming from we had to drive past the school to get to the hotel, so for us, not the most convenient. The parking lot was well lit and safe - this was important since our car was packed with college dorm move in stuff.

Tips- ask for a non smoking room on a non smoking floor!
Two beds means two double beds, not queen even though the room is spacious
Ask for a room facing away from the thruway--while it wasn't too loud, you do hear traffic noise, especially trucks breaking to exit.

Room Tip: away from thru way and ask for your non smoking room to be on a non smoking floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Comfort Inn Fairgrounds!. I certainly appreciate your comments. I hope your son is enjoying Syracuse University, it would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again while you visit him. Please feel free to contact me directly @ gm.ny090@choicehotels.com. I will be happy to make any future reservations and ensure your room is located on an all nonsmoking floor!

Thank you again for staying with us!
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Booked a double room for one night on the internet in August. On checking in allocated room 315. The "double" bed in this room measured 48 " wide - for two persons, think 2 feet per person.....! We are not a "large" couple, but found this exceptionally small - I am convinced that more than half the couples in the hotel that night would not have "fit" that bed. When we asked to change rooms, were advised "this is a normal double - and anyway there is nothing else available". Not sure what normal double they have ever used, but 48" is not normal. To top it off, there as no sofa in the room (although advertised as such), so when my wife woke up at 4 AM (seems she had a bit of difficulty sleeping ......), the only place to sit was at the computer desk. The attitude of the staff in rectifying this problem was poor, but the thought behind even putting this size bed in a hotel room boggles the mind.

Room Tip: Title says it all
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

Binghamton NY
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We've stayed here many times; this time, the rate had increased $30/night over 8/2011 to an AARP rate of $105+/night. With the "rennovations", we would have expected improvements, not less quality. One day, our clean towels were still damp and some were stained. The breakfast eggs were overcooked and rubbery. The halls didn't appear to be vaccuumed during our entire stay. Check out service was very slow...hope for better luck next time, if there is a next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
My apologies ! I noticed during your previous stays that you had some great posititve comments, but it looks like we did not do our part on this last particular visit. I would personally like to invite you back and hope you will give us the chance to provide you with service you should experience each and every time you stay! I would like to get in touch with you and speak to you directly to discuss your concerns.
My apologies again. I hope you will stay with us again soon. It will be my pleasure to personally make your reservations and ensure your next stay is pleasant!

MaryJo A.
Rocky Gap
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel is undergoing a makeover. My room and halways had plush new carpeting throughout. Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was much better than many other similarly priced hotels in the area. I would highly reccomend staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We are so excited you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again soon. We are in the process of adding some great improvements so come on back again! We would love to get your opinion!

Thanks again for choosing the Comfort Inn Fairgrounds!