“I'm not sure where the bad reviews came from......”
Review of Flat Iron Grill - CLOSED

Flat Iron Grill
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“I'm not sure where the bad reviews came from......”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure where the bad reviews for this place came from! I was impressed with the food. The service was great and restaurant looked awesome. We had the fried mozzarella for an appetizer. Those were very good, but not a fan of the marinara sauce, but good. My wife had french onion soup and I was blown away by the flavor! One of the best I have tasted! I had the prime rib, very good! And wife had the filet, very tender. The daily vegetables of zucchini and summer squash were excellent, and I normally dont eat them! The garlic mashed potatoes were okay, a little on the bland side. Our server Kim T., was perfect, super friendly, had great foresight and was fast. Overall, I would recommend this to my family and friends. Great steak!

Fayetteville, New York
“Good food, odd atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My adult children and I ate dinner here in late July. We arrived at 6 pm to a nearly empty restaurant. When you enter the restaurant you walk into the bar area which is a few steps above you and has tv's all around for sports viewing. The hostess station was unattended when we entered, after a short wait we were greet with the ubiquitous " Hi Guys!", by a young woman who seated us in the dining area.
After being seated I was surprised by the music that was being piped into the dining area. It seemed at odds with a restaurant setting. My kids said it was "club music".
My initial impression of the place was a mixed bag. Is it a sports bar? A dance club? Or a restaurant? Maybe a bit of all of them....
Our waitress named "Kenzie", was quick and knew the menu front to back. She recommended a few entrees for us with good descriptions of each dish.
After ordering the food we were served a bowl of good bread to share, it came with butter as well as a dipping sauce that was quite good.
I ordered one of the evenings specials, the bouillabaisse. It was very good. A generous portion of scallops, shrimp, clams, and the biggest mussels I've ever seen. All in a sauce with lots of garlic served over pasta. My daughter's meal of breaded haddock was good but a bit bland. It came with good garlic mashed. My sons steak was cooked unevenly, half medium, half well, although he said it tasted good.
The meal with tip came to about $75. Given that the meals are about $20 or so on average this isn't the cheapest option in the area. The atmosphere is not one of fine dining. The greeting by the hostess, the music, paper napkins and such, lent a distinct dining hall vibe to the experience. Thankfully the food made up for it!

1 Thank vaultcoach
Jessica G, General Manager at Flat Iron Grill, responded to this review, April 23, 2015
Thank you for the review and feedback! As with most new businesses it took us some time to work out all the kinks. Our playlist has drastically improved and we are working to solidify our niche in the community. We are local and not a chain so we do strive to meet everyones needs and as it may have been confusing at first we are working to improve our atmosphere everyday. We do believe in a relaxed environment without sacrificing great food! We take every guests concerns and make note of it, that being the only way to improve and grow as a business. All of your points are well noted and we appreciate the constructive criticism. We would love to have you back! As you can see were just figuring out the social media aspect of our business and trying to get connected. If you’d like to discuss this further, please reach out to me at flatirongrill1@gmail.com

Thank you!
Alicia Murphy
Ottawa, Canada
“Good food and great waitress”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Travelling to the US, we stayed at the Ramada Syracuse and just a quick walk (not even 5 minutes) and you are at the Flat Iron Grill. The Ramada hotel owns the building and the owner of the restaurant rent the place. It is open since January and the opening event will be in August.

To start with they give you warm bread with whipped butter and some warm tomato sauce to go with it. It was good!
A lot of selection on the menu for everyone. Kids meals available.
We had the ceasar rap (we found the portion to be very good). Also had a garden salad with chicken, that was very good with raspberry vinaigrette. Had also a soup (chicken)...it was nice and had a lot of noodles and big chunks of chicken.
Kim B. was our waitress and she was very nice and very helpful.
We would definitely go back.
Thank you Kim ! Keep up the great work.

New York
“Great Menu and Service-No Problem with Modifications”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Glad this place opened in the former Colorado Mining Company location in Liverpool/Electronics Parkway area. I hope they are very successful given the amount of hotels in this area. If you are staying at one of those hotels I highly recommend this place because of the varied menu without it being so large that you get concerned about freshness of the food. I am sure anyone staying around here could find something they like on the menu. They even had some vegetarian choices that were so appealing to me that I would order them the next time I go there (i.e. grilled vegetable wrap).

Went with my Mom and two of her friends. We all had some special but minor modifications we wanted made to our meals or beverages and all were cheerfully and easily accomodated.

One of us had a turkey sandwich and another had a turkey/vegetable wrap with roasted turkey breast that looked like it was cut off a roasted breast...not that surper-salty slimey deli meat that you often get. The turkey vegetable wrap came with steamed asparagus in the wrap which is rare and welcomed by this asparagus lover. The other turkey sandwich was accompanied with a demi-salad that looked and tasted very fresh. Two of us ordered a "special" of pulled pork sandwich with homemade sauce that was deliciously seasoned. Both were sided with fresh tasting potato salad that was so good that we took some home for later consumption.

House wine was reasonably priced and good at less than $6 a glass and was a decent pour...not like those wimpy pours you get at chain restaurants.

This place might look like a chain but as far as I can tell it is NOT a chain. If it is, it is a part of a small chain and they do a good job. Service was excellent as well. We will be back.

Alexander, NY
“Constant traveler”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I am in Syracuse twice a week for the last 10 months, flat iron grill opened in Jan 2014.
My first experience was a great and I continue to come again. Syracuse offers great options & Flat Iron Grill is AWESOME my first rib eye, blackened with a great bourbon black pepper sauce, garlic mash. Cooked to perfection !!! WOW!!! My 2nd a the flat iron only because I got to taste my associate as I am strictly a rib eye guy. Use to be all flat iron steaks are really really good to get me to change. The mountain goat burger is unbelievable.
What a great place, chef's food & selection are excellent every time I have come (8) times now I haven't had one bad meal. Great place easy to eat at bar or table service. Very attentive service.
Keep it up guys & gals