“Funky Old Syracuse Motor Inn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Western Ranch Motor Inn

Western Ranch Motor Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syracuse
Western Ranch Motor Inn
You added Western Ranch Motor Inn to your Saves list
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
“Funky Old Syracuse Motor Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I love classic old funky hotels for my American travel experiences, and found this one by searching for an inexpensive place to stay in Syracuse that was *not* a chain. It's an old motor inn from the 1940s, surrounded by a gravelly lot and not much else! Thankfully there is an old-school cafe on the premises and a tavern with a taxidermied raccoon and neon cactus. The cafe isn't for breakfast, and there *is* no breakfast, nor coffee in the rooms, so bring your own, or they will also refer you to Mimi's, which is an old-school diner up the street. The rooms have dark paneled walls, which is fun: there is nothing overtly wrong with anything unless you are super fastidious and/or high maintenance. The front staff are accommodating and sweet and gave us the group discount for a horse show that was happening at the fairgrounds even though we weren't with that group, because I inquired for the best rate. Approach them with sweetness and you will likely get sweetness back. Just enjoy yourself :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank bluecowboyyoga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I stayed at the motel on a trip to the Syracuse Antiques Show in Liverpool as a dealer/exhibitor. There were several other dealers that I met in the dining room who told me that they have been staying at the motel for many years and were happy with the service and the price. The decor isn't great and the furnishings are definitely shabby, but what can anyone expect when the rates are so low? My room was in the main building so I was able to get to the Dining room and the bar without going outside. The staff is AMERICAN and ENGLISH SPEAKING and the rooms are about as clean as they can be considering the age of the fabrics and furnishings. I will be going back there and staying for four nights during the Thanksgiving weekend as I will be a Dealer at the Antiques Show at the Fairgrounds on Saturday and Sunday.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Being a lover of older motels, I had found this place by looking at other reviews here. We were a bit surprised at how far from town it was. I have no idea what road was where I-690 is in 1948, but we were way out of town. This place was about what I expected. It is a pretty large building, one story in the front, two in the back. We got a room around back for about $55. The road leading down to that section is steep, and has an abrupt drop where it goes from pavement to gravel. Our room was pretty funky. There was quite a bit of knotty pine paneling, and the bathroom had beige tile with beautiful aqua fixtures. There is a restaurant, but it wasn't open that night.

On the down side, the carpet was really old and threadbare, with some spots. The TV was small and old, and the mattress was really dead and mushy. Altogether, I can't really complain for the price. I'd much rather support an older family place than pay twice the price for a chain.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

This place is a classic roadside hotel, from the price to the decor. I have stayed here 3 or 4 times and the rooms are a little run down but they are clean. I have never stayed there when it was busy (such as during the State Fair), so they might be overwhelmed at those times.

When I have stayed, it was quiet and hospitable. Having a bar on site is a real bonus. They also have a small resturant; I have not eaten there yet, but the patrons in the bar have said the food is surprisingly good. I will make a point of it to eat there next time.

For about same price as a Motel 8 or other such chains in Syracuse, I much prefer the Ranch where you can drive right up to your room and pretty much have the place to yourself.

• Liked — Bar, Location, Price, Quiet
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit run down, no late check out
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank Chetek65
Canajoharie, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the night of August 30, 2006. We planned on going to the NYS Fair the next day and instead of driving that morning, we stayed here.

I checked on different web sites and this hotel seemed to get really great reviews. What were they thinking?!

As soon as we walked into the office, the smell of smoke and stale beer almost knocked us over.

The man behind the desk acted as though we were bothering him when we checked in. He did tell us how to get to our room and tossed two keys on the counter.

After moving our truck, we found our room. We followed the directions we were given. After walking through an outside "hallway" that had empty Coors cans and dirty towels in a basket we found our room.

The room door stuck - had to push it in. The window did not lock. The room had the same awful smell as the office. The lighting was terrible - very dim lights. The TV sat on a bracket that was hung from the ceiling. The light in the bathroom was a bare bulb over the sink. The carpet was disgusting. The nightstand had been moved and you could see the original color - not even close to what we were walkking on - scary.

Take my advise - never stay here - spend the extra $20 and stay in the City - you'll be glad you did - we wish we had.

• Liked — close to NYS Fairground
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
7 Thank catwoman5

Travelers are raving about these Syracuse hotels