“Good Stay”

Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at Wingate Inn for one night. The location was isolated and there were a lot of industrial buildings and scraps around the building. Although the location was not very central, my husband and I could not find anything wrong with the hotel itself. It was clean, large rooms, good bathroom, good hot breakfast, good friendly service. For a one night stay it was a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed June 20, 2008

Although a bit isolated, I really enjoyed my stay here. The facility was new and very clean. The staff was nice and very friendly. There is a Quaker Steaks and Lube restaurant next door with a gravel road connecting them, a safe way to get back if you've gotten too "lubed" next door. The only fault I found was that I thought the sheets felt rough, though clean. I'd definitely syat there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I stayed at the Wingate for 2 weeks and enjoyed it. True, it's sort of in the middle of no where but it is easy to find and it was quiet. No road noise, sirens, etc.

The room was great. All the advertised amenities. Very clean; good housekeeping staff. The free internet was wonderful especially during an extended stay.

All the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. (Jessica and Crissy were great.) Good with directions and often would print out Mapquest without being asked. Manager - nice guy and took an interest is my comfort.

The breakfast was basically okay just don't expect a restaurant style meal. (A lot of people were eating it!) There were standard items but the hot entree changed daily (microwaved). If you didn't want to make coffee in your room, there was coffee in the lobby 24 hour a day. Free newspaper at my door each morning.

Small but clean exercise room. Didn't use pool or spa. Washer and dryer worked. The pantry came in handy for late night cravings. The business center was great and well stocked.

Plenty of parking for vehicles hauling trailers.

"The Lube" nearby is a young persons restaurant /bar but the beer was cold and chicken wings were good. Other food was so-so. Bring the family and go inside just to see the cars, m/c and snowmobiles hanging from the ceiling.

Construction will be starting nextdoor so request a room at the other end of the building.

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this place to others; in fact, I plan on returning in a couple of months.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We stayed at this hotel on May 17 through May 19 upon the advice of other friends. The room was nice and clean, spacious. Bed very comfortable, bathroom huge, worked well, fridge (not cold enough) microwave, coffee maker. The hotel lobby not that clean.Management friendly and accommodating (answered your questions, asked you how your day was, smiled) You can hear people talking through the walls from the next room. While in the lobby a guest came to complain that he had a steady noise in his room. Apparently he was above some kinds of vents (?not sure?)The breakfast they boast about was very poor and this is probably why I was turned off. We were not hungry by any means. It just needed some fine tuning. The tongs to take bread, pastries, boiled eggs, etc.were really dirty and sticky. You had to ask for food to be put out. The danish pastries where solidly frozen. The bread was not fresh. You had to ask for food to be put out. Empty platters were visible. In general the area where food was out was a bit unclean. The hostess could have been out wiping the counters, restocking food. It was a poorly presented breakfast. The pool, we did not use, seemed cloudy. The pool was very small. The meeting room was not tidy or cleaned up. It looked like a "junk" room. This hotel is new and sits out in a field. It seems there may be ongoing construction. I personally did not go the Quaker State Restaurant, however some from our party went and they said it was loud, noisy, bar-like atmosphere. The menu looks appetizing and plentiful, but the atmosphere is not.

The breakfast at the hotel really turned me off. Other guests were complaining about the lack of food out as well. Otherwise if this wouldn't bother you, then go for it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Ankar
Reviewed April 10, 2008

Great stay at this hotel. Newer, with big rooms, indoor pool and good hot breakfast.
They have opened a new restaurant, Quaker Steak and Lube right next to the hotel which gave us a good option for a quick dinner last night.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Well, you could definitely tell that this hotel was new, and not in a good way - they did not have their act together with service. I stayed here on both ends of a business trip to take advantage of their free parking and free airport shuttle, and I found the hotel itself to be average. Both times I stayed in a room that had two double beds. The room decor was still reminiscent of bland hotel decor and the carpet was a very unpleasant feeling under your feet (kind of hard, like someone had spilled something all over it). I talked to the manager and he indicated the hotel, which has a rather remote location, is going to have an indoor water park attached in the next phase, so it is obvious the hotel is in phase one of its master plan. The bed was fine, nothing special. The room was clean, and the pool was nice as well. The breakfast in the morning was typical.
However, although this was advertised, the hotel required 48 hours notice on airport shuttles since they only bring on a driver "when needed." I have never heard of airport shuttle service only when your flight is scheduled - since my flights changed on the way home this created a nightmarish situation for me. As my flights were changing, I would try to contact the hotel, and the phone would ring and ring - over 30 times - until I finally called the 800 reservations number and had them dial through for me. This happened about 6 times, and I was only calling to confirm my travel (I ended up having to fly standby since my flgiht was cancelled, and I was calling to update them on their status per their request so they could keep the driver handy). When I finally arrived, they couldn't "get" the driver - he wasn't answering his cell phone. Basically, don't count on this hotel for airport transportation - they're not equipped and it will save you a lot of headaches.
Other than the above situation, the staff was helpful and courteous to make sure that everything was taken care of and answered any and all questions, particularly the general manager. Both times in stayed at the end of a hallway in room 226. I had no problems with the room, except for the weird rug. Also, the curtains were not good at blocking out light, and there was a very bright security light in the parking lot. I would recommend this for a quick stay, but not for airport transportation - frankly, they should just give up on this unless they hire on-staff drivers.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2008

The my boyfriend and I stayed at the Wingate for 8 nights on a little getaway. The hotel itself is off the beaten path, not directly off of I-690 but very close to it. It is in the middle of nowhere, but it's *very* quiet and easy to find, in my opinion. From the moment we checked in, we truly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is geared for business travelers, but anyone can stay. Our room was immaculate, service was friendly and prompt, and it was jut an overall fantastic stay. We would definitely stay again! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2008