“Great hotel with great value”

Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Highly recommended. Hotel is super clean and modern. Always go back to this Holiday Inn when in the area. Much cheaper than downtown Syracuse and only 10 minutes from Carousel Mall and 25 minutes from Waterloo.

1  Thank R D

Reviewed June 12, 2012

My family stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for one night on the way to Plymouth, MA. from Toledo, OH. We pulled in around 11:30pm and were in our room rather quickly. The guy at the front desk was very helpful, informative and good at his job... which is not usually the case for some hotel desk workers on the night shift.

The hotel was very clean/nice and the room was just as clean/nice. Beds were very comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was excellent as well. We were very pleased and would definitely stay here again.

Only drawbacks... The 4th floor smelled horribly of cigarette smoke even though the rooms all say they are non-smoking. Also... there were noisy guests in the halls until 3am (sounded like they were just hanging out.) Was too tired to call the front desk and just dealt with it... So I don't blame the hotel... can't control what you don't know about.

All in all... good experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I would of gave a 5 star but I was told this was a non smoking room, and was put in a master suite on the 4th floor with smoking rooms right down the hall. Some of the smoke did seem to make its way in at time of check inn, but the girl at the front desk was awesome. After trying several different options to try to my stay as best as possible, she offered me a serious discount on the room. I did drive to the mall to get a candle and they gave me air freshener, and that took the smell away. Other then that it was very clean and new looking. Quiet hotel and it was book solid. staff was really great. Breakfast was good, fruit was included. Pool was nice for just a refreshing time. AC worked perfect and it was high 80's all day. Stayed there for 2 nights and If i ever go back to Syracuse I will be back at this hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms, but this one did have a Mini Fridge, Microwave, Lots of room with a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2012

It was a fantastic hotel perfectly located pet friendly and very very modern great experience would go back anytime.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Spent one night at the Holiday Inn on Easter weekend. Arrived late in the evening, good thing I had a GPS as the location is a little out of the way. Clean room, comfortable bed and wifi worked great although a little slow. I did notice walls were a little thin but not a major issue.

Breakfast was good, no fruits but the cinnamon buns seemed to be made on site and were excellent!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Hotel seemed fine, but then we noticed large black ants. Two on the pillows, one in the bathroom, and two on the walls. You just know there are more. Continental breakfast was adequate, nothing more. Hotel is in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Sarah W,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed March 29, 2012

It seem Holiday Inn Express has come up with a way to "trick" people into buying rooms that are non-refundable and non-changeable. I guess they are trying to copy the airlines. So here is the deal - when you go on their website to book a room - it will call the room "pay in advance rate" (but this title does not stand out on their website and you might even miss it). This rate is not really much less that the others, so along with their 20 other types of rates (all are about the same) - it is easy to pick that one not really knowing that you are signing up to lose all of your money if you change your mind, get sick - it doesn't matter the reason. THEY DON'T CARE. I ended up getting my money back after 8 phone calls/ faxes to the General Manager of the hotel with a receipt from the hospital. What a sham - this is a totally new idea to me that a hotel chain would try to rip you off that like. Not only that - when I tried to find the prepaid/non-refundable rate again a two days before my reservation (I was getting ready to dispute it with my credit card as a fraudulent charge) - it didn't exist and a lower rate that was totally flexible showed up on the Internet. WATCH OUT! Just out of principle - I will NEVER stay there again. SHAME ON YOU HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Dear LTTBHHIA,

I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you, please allow me to explain our advanced purchase rate.

We have recently implemented a new pricing structure that allows us the opportunity to offer deeper discounts to our customers. In order to offer these rates we must attach restrictions such as cancellation fees or full prepayment. Some of our lowest discounted rates carry full prepayment requirements while others carry a cancellation fee.

If rooms are available for your travel date, we will always offer the option of booking either restrictive (with cancellation/prepayment requirements) or non-restrictive (can be changed and cancelled without penalty) rates. This will allow you more flexibility in making your specific travel arrangements. For example: if you are certain about your travel plans, the restricted rate will be a consideration, whereas if your travel plans are less definite the unrestricted rate may better meet your needs.

Katie J