“Ants in bedroom!”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Ottawa
“Ants in bedroom!”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Hotel seemed fine, but then we noticed large black ants. Two on the pillows, one in the bathroom, and two on the walls. You just know there are more. Continental breakfast was adequate, nothing more. Hotel is in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Sarah W,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 29, 2012

It seem Holiday Inn Express has come up with a way to "trick" people into buying rooms that are non-refundable and non-changeable. I guess they are trying to copy the airlines. So here is the deal - when you go on their website to book a room - it will call the room "pay in advance rate" (but this title does not stand out on their website and you might even miss it). This rate is not really much less that the others, so along with their 20 other types of rates (all are about the same) - it is easy to pick that one not really knowing that you are signing up to lose all of your money if you change your mind, get sick - it doesn't matter the reason. THEY DON'T CARE. I ended up getting my money back after 8 phone calls/ faxes to the General Manager of the hotel with a receipt from the hospital. What a sham - this is a totally new idea to me that a hotel chain would try to rip you off that like. Not only that - when I tried to find the prepaid/non-refundable rate again a two days before my reservation (I was getting ready to dispute it with my credit card as a fraudulent charge) - it didn't exist and a lower rate that was totally flexible showed up on the Internet. WATCH OUT! Just out of principle - I will NEVER stay there again. SHAME ON YOU HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear LTTBHHIA,

I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you, please allow me to explain our advanced purchase rate.

We have recently implemented a new pricing structure that allows us the opportunity to offer deeper discounts to our customers. In order to offer these rates we must attach restrictions such as cancellation fees or full prepayment. Some of our lowest discounted rates carry full prepayment requirements while others carry a cancellation fee.

If rooms are available for your travel date, we will always offer the option of booking either restrictive (with cancellation/prepayment requirements) or non-restrictive (can be changed and cancelled without penalty) rates. This will allow you more flexibility in making your specific travel arrangements. For example: if you are certain about your travel plans, the restricted rate will be a consideration, whereas if your travel plans are less definite the unrestricted rate may better meet your needs.

Katie J
IHGCare
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I recently stayed here and thoroughly enjoyed the room. The staff was friendly and courteous. The room was very clean. The only thing I did not enjoy was the painfully slow internet. 512kb/s (0.5mb/s) I was there for business and using old style DSL like connection was not great. Surprised for a big hotel they don't have higher connection speeds. I stayed at a motel that had 14.5mb/s connection. I reccomend they upgrade their internet. Other than that its a nice hotel that I recommend.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank tzc5035
Châteauguay, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I was away for business trip, my boss booked this hotel. it is in the middle of nowhere, thanks to gps. got there to meet pleasant staff. my room was perfect. they even went the extre mile, as I did not have money on me when I ended up on the thruway and foe 35 cent they did not let me go. they gave me a paper to go pay within the next week, having no intention on taking the thruway again, i asked the front desk if they could take care of it for me. they accepted with pleasure to help me.thanks so much for a great stay

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Cato, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2012

The surrounding area landscape was quite undeveloped, (yo, get a sign out by the road!) so we were a tad apprehensive, but went there on another's recommendation. What a beautifully pleasant surprise! I've been in a bunch of places, over the years, and I always manage to find some overlooked detail, in even the nicest of places. Drives my wife crazy, cuz I'm such a detail freak, more out of curiosity than being critical. Our room was freakin gorgeous. They got someone with a really good eye to design every last piece of moulding and placement in there. Really, very impressed with the appearances of everything there. Breakfast in the AM was WAY better than we'd anticipated and all the staff was super courteous. Froze our butts off in the pool, though it was the last hour it was open, and the jacuzzi couldn't warm us up enough, either, so that was the only bummer. Except for the thumb in the chili...just kidding! Out of five stars, I'd give this a 6. thnx, folks! - Dick K See ya in 4 yrs! (I don't want to spoil her, ya know...)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dick k
Killington, Vermont
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our overall stay was a good one. We were booked into a suite. It was a little misleading, we were expecting a jacuzzi tub when all we got was a bathtub with jets, but no big deal. We were a little shocked with the movies on demand and the prices. $14.99 for a movie rental was a bit outrageous, but I'm thinking this is how it probably is at most chain hotels. We were very comfortable during our stay, but my issue was with the bill. We were charged the correct amount when we checked out on Sunday and the money was taken from my account, however Wednesday after check out, I checked my banking statement only to see that I had been charged AGAIN! I called the hotel and they said it was only an authorization charge and that the money would be back into my account. However, with the economy the way it is, having an extra $400 taken from your bank account and be told it will be back "around 3-5 days" is a major set back. The hotel didn't seem to eager to help us. We ended up just gritting our teeth for 4 days waiting for the money to be put back. Thankfully nothing too bad came from it, but i'd hate for it to happen to someone around the end of the month when there are bills to pay. I probably wouldn't stay again just for the fact that I don't want to have to deal with money issues.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gersty7
Cotuit, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed here with my kids last week and had an overall good stay.

The hotel staff we dealt with were very nice, including the front desk and the breakfast staff. However, it was very difficult to find the entrance to the hotel after dark on a nasty December evening, and I can't figure out why there isn't an entrance sign on the Winchell Road entrance?! I ended up in the dead end at the end of the road, turning around in the mud and puddles trying to figure out how to get the to clearly lit hotel in the middle of endless blacktop!

After we found the right driveway to get to the hotel, we checked in easily, grabbed a few snacky things from the (limited) pantry, and enjoyed a good night's sleep in the quiet and comfortable room. We always travel with our iPods and a "white noise" app, so we didn't have any issues with the noise of the HVAC units, especially since the room had a clock we could plug the iPod into.

The pool area looked great but we didn't have time to enjoy it. The breakfast in the morning was good - even with the pancake machine out of order, there was enough for each of us to have a choice of items and the staff was very good about refilling items as needed.

The one problem I had was that the housekeeping did not seem up to par. Although the beds were clean and comfortable, there were crumbs on the desk chair when I pulled it out, and the towels in our bathroom were actually disgusting - they ranged from dingy to majorly discolored to stained with rusty looking streaks! I actually didn't take a shower in the morning because they looked so bad I didn't want to use them.

Overall, this was a good hotel and given the dearth of choices on I-90 I might stay there again. However, it seems like a few changes would result in this hotel changing from an "OK-if-I-have-to stay" to a "must-stay" kind of place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family