“Very nice zoo, an enjoyable way to spend a few hours”

Rosamond Gifford Zoo
Ranked #1 of 70 things to do in Syracuse
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and myself recently (10/2) spent a few hours at this zoo. although it is not large as say the Bronx zoo or the zoo in Washington DC this zoo was quite nice.

Admission to the zoo is 8 for adults cheaper for seniors and kids but it does have discounts available. The zoo has two types of sections, one where the animals are housed inside in what they tried to make seem "natural" settings, and the outside section for the larger animals.

The enclosed section had several animals that I have not heard about. The zoo also has information regarding the animals and lets you know the species that are endangered or in close to being considered endangered.

The outside section had your normally found lions, tigers, wolfs, elephants, etc.

Although a small zoo, it is well maintained including the area's where the animals live. The zoo has a nice setting to it and is nicely laid out.

If you are a zoo "expert" you mind find this zoo small and boring. But for those with kids, for those what what to spend a nice 2-3 hours in a peaceful setting I would recommend this zoo. The zoo also does have a cafeteria area which appears to offer many options, but I did not visit here so will not say anything good or bad about it.

Overall, as one who does like to go the the larger zoos I did find this zoo quite nice and would recommend it if or most people.

1  Thank Pfessak

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I went to the Brew at the Zoo event and had a great time! The zoo was closed to the public for this special event. When you walked in you were given a glass and you walked from station to station sampling beers and wines from all over NY and beyond. There were many more stations then I envisioned. A lot of high quality beer was served.

It was a nice additional bonus that a lot of food was served as well. As you walked between the beer stations you would find food stations as well. Some was a simple as fresh fruit skewers, but other fare was more sophisticated and hearty. I was full when I left.

I will be back again next year!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

my 3 month old son and I went for his first visit to the zoo; ehat an amazing time we had! I am used to larger zoos where you feel rushed to see everything in one visit, but not at Rosamond Zoo... they have a great variety of animals, includig wolves and fox - not to mention some endangered species of deer and big cats... oh and can i say lots of elephants are also on site... that was a shock to see them this far north, but their top notch facility looks like they are very well cared for... lots of penguins, spotted bears and located in the main foyer is Ophelia the Octopus...she was great and i have taken some photos - just no flash photography as it hurts the poor girl...8$ entrance for adults but well worth it!! we will go back for a return visit!!!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

This zoo was a well maintained facility that showed true compassion for the animals on exhibit. The cage areas were large enough to accommodate the animals, and there was a great deal of attention given to their mental as well as physical well being. Unfortunately, we arrived in late morning and there were some exhibits closed because they were being cleaned. This was a very nice attraction for families and singles alike.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We brought our 2 and 4 year old kids there. Free for them, $10 for each adult. They have recently done some paving work, so some of the paths still have cones and caution tape, but it doesn't really get in your way. They are improving the property, which is a good thing. The kids loved the penguin habitat. There is a boreal forrest area which houses linx, foxes, wolves and such, but it was incredibly hot that day so the animals were hiding in the shade. Difficult for the little ones to spot them. I would bring binoculars next time as some of the enclosures are quite large. There is a nice indoor section as well where they keep many of the primates, lemurs, meercats and fish. Wqas nice to get out of the sun for a while and go see these exhibits. A great family attraction.