“A great day trip for your family!”

Rosamond Gifford Zoo
Ranked #2 of 67 things to do in Syracuse
Liverpool, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A great day trip for your family!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We've recently moved to the Syracuse area and bought a membership for the zoo. The grounds are not huge but there is a good variety of animals for everyone to see. They have a really nice elephant area as well as a great aquarium and aviary with birds that fly freely through the room and around you! They do have a food court but the prices are high (what you would expect for the convenience.) Parking is free and even if you have to park in the far lot, it's not a bad walk. If you have a handicapped person with you, you can drop them off right at the enterance or in the nearby handicapped parking area (with permit of course).

Visited September 2012

Syracuse, Ny
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Winter Zoo a Different Experience”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Every one goes in the summer but winter offers a different view of the animals and habits. Makes for some interesting photo opportunities also.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank DunnSyracuse_Ny
Syracuse
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Nice and convenient zoo”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I love zoos. I also grew up with some amazing zoos in my area (Milwaukee, Columbus, Cincinnati and DC). All of which are big. So when I first came to this zoo I was disappointed. I expected it to be like the zoos that I grew up with. But I have come to love this zoo. We have a family membership and I bring my kids often. Expect a trip to last about 2 hours. Parking is free. Each visit we try to keep our eyes and ears open for something different. Can you find the wolf? Are the baby tigers playing in the water? Did the snake move? We have taken advantage of the adopt and animal program for the kids to learn in depth information on specific animals. The zoo magazine is very informative. Your membership provides discounts to other zoos nationwide. I highly recommend a visit.

Visited October 2012
DeWitt, New York
253 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 399 helpful votes
“Fine medium-sized zoo”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I like zoos and have been to many of all sizes around the country. I'd call this one medium sized and pretty good in proportion to its size. It isn't competition for the truly elite zoos like San Diego's, but if you like animals you're likely to enjoy this zoo.

This zoo has both indoor exhibit areas near the entrance, and outdoor areas arranged along a long path that climbs, then descends, a moderately steep hill. If you have mobility issues you might find the outdoor loop a little challenging, but most people, even those with strollers, seem to manage okay.

There's a very good gift shop, but the small fast food restaurant is rather basic and limited, so unless you plan to eat light, you might consider eating elsewhere after your visit.

The buildings and grounds are clean and well-kept, and the animals are in fairly well designed living and exhibit spaces. There's a walk-through aviary, and a very nice penguin area. At least for now, they have juvenile Amur tigers born on site (and growing fast). They've got some very nice red pandas (my personal favorites). They have several elephants and a nice open yard for them to roam in. If you are looking for unique and rare species, they've only got a few, but the wide variety of more common species they do have makes it worth a visit.

I find that I can see the whole zoo in about two hours. Allow a bit more time if you have kids, or less if you tend to move along at a steady pace.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Joe H
Syracuse, New York, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice Park”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Kids love this Zoo, clean, animals are beautiful. Alot of things for the kids to do. Great gift shop and restuartant is pretty good also. We constantly go to this Zoo, never gets old.

Visited August 2012