“A wonderful place to stay”
Review of Parkview Hotel

Parkview Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed August 2, 2007

EVERYTHING about this hotel is wonderful, from the person taking the reservations, to the front desk staff, to the cleanliness of the room, to the quality of the rooms. We recently have been traveling in NYS and Canada. This was the most reasonable hotel we stayed at, and far and away the nicest. If you are ever in Syracuse, stay here. You won't regret it. It's one of the nicest hotels we've EVER seen.

Reviewed July 29, 2007

The Parkview Hotel was rated well on Trip Advisor, so we decided to stay. The exterior and interior are very nicely restored in a manner consistent with the period. There are some modern twists which are tastefully done (like Plasma TVs, comfortable plush beds), and the room (405) was spacious and included the needed kitchenette for our 12 month old son’s supplies. The lobby was very comfortable and it was enjoyable while watching the MLB All Star Game on the 60” plasma while my son was upstairs sleeping.

The front desk staff provided great service. At check in, I inquired about visiting the Irish section of Tipperary Hill. Christian gave me directions verbally, and then called minutes later to let me know he’d printed directions and a map for me that I could pick up on the way out. Great service and staff are hard to come by!

We are looking forward to visiting again next summer, and may try the sister hotel up the street (Gennesee).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2007

I stayed at the Parkview when bringing my son up to school in Syracuse. I had to adjust the actual dates of stay several times and the hotel was extremely accomodating. One night I extended, I got a better rate than on an internet reservation and on the actual hotel site.
The Parkview was very quiet and the rooms were very nice (I stayed in two different ones). Also, the location is ideal.
I wish I'd realized that the hotel had computers in the lobby before my last day, but they are tucked out of the main view of the lobby/registration desk. Just ask!
I would definitely stay here again. I ended up staying almost a week and was extremely pleased with the quality of the rooms and the level of service.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed May 5, 2007

As I write this review, I am sitting at a window seat in Stefon's Place, the coffee shop / wine bar of the Parkview Hotel, enjoying the flowers and fountain out the window of this grand, boutique hotel.

I came to pack up my daughter, who is finishing her first year at Syracuse University. I did not want to be out in "hotel row" north of town along the interstate. I wanted something more distinctive, with charm, closer to campus. I was not looking for the cheapest or most opulent venue, but something comfortable with a great location. I found it.

The Parkview Hotel is a completely renovated older hotel, with easy interstate access, about 5 minutes from campus. They were fixing an elevator the first day I arrived and the mechanic had wiring diagrams laid down the hall. Being an old ham radio buff, I knew how to read diagrams. “1950s?,” I speculated.
“1953,” he replied, indicating that at least the elevator was 54 years old. I would guess the hotel is the same vintage. It has been completely renovated, but not modernized. The charm of the period was preserved, right down to the faux-Bakelite phones on the tables across from the elevators.

The Parkview Hotel is operated by the Genesee Grand Hotel, just west on Genesee street, a more modern and fancy place to stay closer to campus, but without the charm of the Parkview.
The Parkview has a complete set of aerobic machines in the basement. Not much of a view, but the room is properly cooled, as two televisions, towels, and the machines are kept in top condition. Given the size of the hotel, it’s the logical place for them, and if you run, there are ample opportunities right out the front door.

Right out the backdoor is a well-lighted, spacious parking lot with easy access in all directions.

The rooms reflect the 1950s era: high ceilings, large windows (it would be nice if they opened), comfortable beds, tile floors in the bathroom, a flat-panel TV on the wall, and high speed internet. A great mix of period and modern amenities. The hotel only has WiFi on the first floor, but you can tap other nearby hotel’s WiFi from the third floor suite where I stayed, and every room has decent network hard-wired high speed.

My stay was not perfect. The toilet ran slow, and on day 2 plugged completely. However, by the time I was done with my workout, the maintenance crew had it running again. That same day I was running slow (due to the toilet unplugging) and asked the cleaning folks to come clean up later. By 6 p.m. they had not. However, when I brought that to the attention of the front desk, I had a clean room by the time I returned from dinner and a $20 “customer satisfaction” discount. Today by invoice reflected a higher rate than was confirmed on the Parkview’s simple, but effective, website reservations service. One phone call (the Genesee Grand handles the Parkview’s reservations) and a trip to the front desk and this was corrected. No, my stay was not perfect. But it’s the recoveries, not the errors, that matter, and Parkview came up with the ball the few times it fumbled it, with a smile and an apology. That’s what counts for this traveler.
Stefon’s Place is not a full service restaurant. But for coffee and a ham and cheese bagel, which is all I wanted in the morning, it was fast, cheap and has a great view.

The Parkview delivered exactly what I wanted: location and charm and a fair price. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful. It’s not a place for doing hard-core business work, but a great place for a weekend at SU. I’ll definitely be checking back in the next time I come to visit Syracuse.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
7  Thank Buff_Flyer
Reviewed May 3, 2007

This is an interesting little hotel. The building is old and rooms are configured like efficiency apartments with kitchenettes and small bathrooms, but have been recently renovated and are very clean and comfortable.

They went way above and beyond by allowing me to cancel the second night of my planned stay with no notice and with no penalty when I finished up my work ahead of schedule.

It is less than one mile from Syracuse University, and also near downtown. The neighborhood behind is dicey, but in front is all hospital and university related with lots of restaurants, etc. Free wireless internet is included.

The hotel had a very pleasant lobby and cafe, Unfortunately, the hotel did not seem to be very busy when I was there, but it deserves much more business. I will definitely stay there next time.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank maikerum
Reviewed April 25, 2007

My wife and I had to take a one-day trip for a morning appointment in downtown Syracuse. After using Tripadvisor to locate the Parkview, I have to agree that it is a very good hotel. The room was spacious and well-appointed and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the AC/heating unit worked well.
They had an LCD TV unit in our room, not huge but great picture and sleek-looking.

The neighborhood is not fantastic, but that is to be expected for a downtown hotel. We did not feel unsafe. The price was right at $100 including all taxes, and free parking was included. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We would definitely stay here again, especially if we had things to do downtown.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank danimal6
Reviewed April 24, 2007

I was a little skeptical at first when I originally reserved the room but when we got there, I was amazed! It was wonderful!
Yeah, the bathroom has no counter space but there is a shelf in the bathroom where you can place your things and a shelf in the shower for which you can place your bathing materials. The room was great....good size. The bed was comfy and there was great closet space. I loved the look of the room and bathroom as well....really historic. There is a refridgerator and coffee maker in the room but no microwave. TV appeared small but when you turned it on the picture was big enogh for you to see. I really enjoyed my stay there and when I'm in Syracuse again, I will stay there!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple