“Good Birthday Dinner!!”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings
Manlius, New York
“Good Birthday Dinner!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My wife and I had a very nice birthday dinner at Scotch 'N Sirloin last week. We were seated quickly even though we did not have a reservation (it was a Tuesday evening around 7:00PM). The service was excellent as we were taken care of in the usual team approach. The salad bar was well-presented the bread was very fresh! The only disappointment was the escargot appetizer which was bland and has been prepared nmuch better in previous visits. My wife's sirloin stirp was prepared perfectly as was my full-cut prime rib. we were very pleased with the food and the service and it made the celebration day complete.

Visited April 2014

Moravia, New York
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Menu: I'd checked out their online menu and was looking forward to enjoying the Lamb Sirloin. While they updated their menu in the restaurant, they have not updated it online and the dish I was planning on ordering was no longer available.

Decor: The first thing I noticed as we were seated were the dust bunnies that were caked onto the wall and attached onto the lamp above our heads. That caused me to start looking everywhere to see what else wasn't cleaned properly. I glanced up at the ceiling and there were gravity defying dust clumps attached there as well. The whole meal I was preoccupied checking every mouthful to ensure no dust was in my dishes.

Servers: The next mishap occurred during ordering. We'd asked our first waiter for a clearer description of the mushroom flan. He had no idea, checked in his pocket for the list of ingredients he was had written down. While that is a good start to server knowledge, he proceeded to describe it as a quiche without a crust. Even though a quiche has similar ingredients, the way it's treated creates quite a different experience. We ordered it despite the unappetizing description the server gave. It may have been the best thing we ate all night.

Our first server had explained that the dinning room servers act as a team and we'd probably have many servers through out the night to provide us with the best possible service. If we needed anything, we just had to stop anyone in a long white jacket and ask. We attempted that, only to be ignored our first 2 attempts at getting some service. Finally we flagged a server down and ordered dinner.

Food: For dinner we ordered the Scottish Salmon special with parsnip puree and asparagus and the Rack of Lamb with Bordelaise sauce and a side of the acorn squash. The server neglected to ask the temperature I'd like my lamb to be cooked at and while we were at the salad bar he came rushing over to find out. I asked for the rarer side of med-rare. He then informed me that would come out with a warm pink center, before quickly turning and rushing away. I attempted to get his attention to inform him that Medium is a warm pink center, med-rare is a warm red center and I was looking for a border line rare cook (approximately 130º). My rack of lamb came out medium-well, so over cooked it was chewy. While it seemed it had a decent amount of seasonings they were so charred I couldn't get past the burnt taste. I called a server over and they apologized and sent a manager over. The manager took the lamb back and had a new one re-fired. This one came out more medium then med-rare but I was so hungry at this point I just ate it. In the haste to get the food out to me the rack wasn't left to rest so whatever juiciness it may have had ended up all over my plate. While the first acorn squash that came out was perfectly cooked, it had been taken away with the first rack of lamb. The one that came out with the second rack was so charred, again all I could taste was the burn not the flavors. I was so tired of trying to get a servers attention and hungry from waiting so long, I just ate what I had. The other meal we'd ordered was the salmon which was cooked well, however lacking in basic seasonings. The best thing on that plate was the parsnip puree, which was the only other thing we truly enjoyed last night. The asparagus also was bland, lacking in seasonings, a running theme for the meal.

Finally our first server returned and asked what we thought of the meal. I made a face and said it was fine, not wonderful but fine. He proceeded to ask if we'd like dessert and that was where the final disappointment of the evening came in. We ordered the almond-pear tart with raspberry coulis. Tarts traditionally have a crisp exterior and a soft fruit interior. What came out was more cake like and missing that crunch we'd been hoping for. The fruit inside was cooked beautifully, however paired with the soft 'tart' exterior everything just tasted like mush.

Salad Bar: The salad presented was clean, fresh and not a single piece we got was limp. However the toppings, especially the cucumbers and carrot shred, were borderline bad. The we mushy and slimy, not very appetizing at all.

Overall out of our $70.00 check we truly enjoyed the appetizer ($9) the side dish of one of our $25+ dinners. Very disappointing, a waste of our hard earned money to say the least.

• Visited December 2013