“Will definitely stay here again!”

Red Carpet Inn Syracuse Airport
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My daughter & I stayed here for two nights towards the end of May. We had often seen this motel, but, due to some of the reviews, were hesitant about staying here. Took the bull by the horns and decided we would try it, and were very pleasantly surprised. Check-in was fast, easy & friendly. The young man at the desk patiently explained about continental br/fast, free coffee, free wi-fi, AND free long distance in the US and Canada so long as the calls aren't over 15 min. in length! Our room was large, clean, and we could actually open our window & have fresh air. Bathroom was clean with a large shower stall, and there was a small fridge in our room as well. Our room was on the lower end, so ground floor, accessed thru a locked outside door, but the area is fine, and we felt perfectly safe. Yes, the carpet at the door next to ours was worn a bit, but the motel hallway was clean, well vacuumed, and really, who of us changes the carpet in our own homes the minute they start to wear a bit? Sometimes I think folks who do motel reviews lose track of what it's actually supposed to be about. It's a MOTEL people, and if you are simply en route, and a motel is clean, bug free, with good beds and shower, and a few good amenities, isn't that what it's all about? We were VERY HAPPY with this motel and have no qualms about reccommending it to anyone who wants a good nights sleep in a clean bed! This motel is close to the airport, so there ARE planes flying overhead on a regular basis. Truthfully tho', after the first few, we forgot all about them, and had a great sleep both nights!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We've been staying at this establishment for four years, while our son was attending college. We booked our FINAL set of rooms a year in advance, so we knew we'd have a room for his graduation weekend. EVERYONE was very helpful, from the lovely lady who booked us a year in advance, to the gentleman who assured me that yes, our rooms DID carry over from the previous year, to the lady who checked us in late at night. Our rooms were clean, the personnel were VERY courteous, and we would not hesitate to stay at the place. THANK YOU ALL!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2011

We decided to try this Motel because we were going to the NY State Fair and it seemed like everything else was booked. We didn’t need anything fancy because we were planning on being at the fairgrounds all day and we just needed somewhere to sleep. We like to go to the fair but we usually wait till the concert schedule is filled in before we make plans. Usually that is in around May or June so most of the hotels near the fairgrounds are booked up and we usually end up in East Syracuse. The Red Carpet still had rooms available and appeared to be closer, and though it got mixed reviews, we figured we’d take a chance.
From the outside the Red Carpet Inn looked like an older motel that was kept up well. The woman at the desk was pleasant and we were able to check in early so we thought everything would be ok. There was a sign at the front desk that said you have 15 minutes to refuse your room otherwise they would go ahead and charge your account. This seemed odd to me because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sign like that so prominently displayed. We were in a hurry to get to the Fairgrounds but we were informed about the bedbug warnings for travelers at all motels and hotels so we figured we better do an inspection as soon as we got into the room just in case.
The room itself was large with a small table and two chairs, an arm chair, bench and small refrigerator. We checked the bed and it seemed to be ok except that the bed spread was badly stained and the corner of the sheet had a black spot on it. The rug looked ok but it was hard to tell how clean it was. There was some cracked plaster on the wall with a piece missing on the edge of one of the walls. It looked like the counter top and sink in the bathroom were new but the older wall tile had a tile that was cracked and broken out around what looks like where something had been attached to the wall. All in all, not horrible for a lower priced motel. We had to use the bathroom before we left to go to the fair for the day and found out the toilet was backed up. I called down to the desk and the woman at the desk said we would have to wait for 20 minutes or so because she was the only one there. She said we could leave and she would come up and take care of it while we were gone and seemed bothered by it all. I wanted to make sure that everything was ok with the room before we left so I told her we would wait until it was straightened out.
After a while I heard the maid down the hall and got her attention. She did not speak English so it took me a while to explain what the problem was. She called a man down to the room, who looked like maybe he was her husband, and didn’t speak any English either. He got a brush and started to push it down the toilet but eventually he figured it out and got a plunger. They made quite a mess so the lady cleaned it up and left. I went to the Kmart across the street and got some disinfecting wipes for when we got back. We decided it might be a good idea to bring a travel pack of wipes with us from now on.
When we returned that night and wiped off the toilet seat we realized how dirty it was. The next morning we took a closer look at everything and saw that the bathroom floor and shower tile were dirty and that there was hair on the floor. The two chairs by the table also had a lot of dust and hair on them.
I’ve stayed at other places with mixed reviews like this before with better experiences. I like to try the independent motels sometimes because some of them are very nice, and I really wanted to like this place. I don’t know if it was just some of the rooms that may be worse than others here but it’s tough to get past the cleanliness issues. This is a lower priced motel so I guess you get what you pay for.

Tip: The hotels and Motels near the NY State Fairgrounds get booked up very early and the prices are higher around fair time. The later you wait, the farther away you end up or the more you have to settle. So if you aren’t concerned with the concert schedule, make your reservations as soon as possible. Normally we end up at a place in East Syracuse which is a little farther away but there are newer hotels and motels there. The location of this motel appeared to be closer, which is one of the reasons we decided to try it, but you have to still drive around the lake and looking back I don’t think it was any quicker than if we had stayed in the East Syracuse area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Freedom_Fliers
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Spend a night in Oct was put next to boiler room kept me up all night ! When i asked to be moved I was told no. Went to frount desk was told they would make it up to me on next visit. Came back in Nov. Mangaer was very rude to me When I pointed this out he got very loud and and even more rude. I at no time raised my voice or cused at him. After I saw how he was acting I walked away. I came back a few weeks later and was refused service because he didnt like it that i stood up to him I have been staying there for years on my trips to the city of Syracuse. i did nothing to warent this treatment.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank balloonsbrothers
Reviewed February 4, 2011

They say a picture is worth a thousand words but not in this case. The room was in a newer section of the hotel. It was clean and cosy and we enjoyed our one night stay before leaving from the Syracuse Airport the next morning. Office staff was friendly and helpful and they had a cute little breakfast of coffee and pastries which hit the spot. It was reasonably priced at about $62.00. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank strasbourg155004
Reviewed October 10, 2010

The room was clean and spacious but the downside was the very loud aircraft and traffic noise which to be fair we should have realised before we booked. A room in the main block near the office probably would have been quieter as a bit further from the main road. Also as our room was probably the furthest away from the main block the hot water supply was erratic. A nice surprise was the continental breakfast. this place is ideal for the a one night stay while travelling, on business or for the airport.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The Red Carpet Inn provices a spacious, clean room with a minifridge and hair dryer, and decent towels, but standard (hard, and with an odd odor) hotel beds and bedding and NO in-room coffee. The wifi was on the weak side and was set up to prevent much more than emaing...I tried to place a bid on an eBay item I'd been watching and the site gave me an error message to the effect I was trying to visit an inappropriate website! I tried to upload some photos to a site to get some prints made, and that too, did not go through (in that case it simply timed out, and those were NOT big photos!). There is a lobby computer but no printer (otherwise you could print a boarding pass). Not the place to stay if you're trying to get things done online. Breakfast is coffee and donuts. You can walk to a chinese restaurant (closed when we looked at it) and a hot dog place. A bit tricky to get to from I-81 from the south, you have to go past the hotel on a divided road, take a side road, and then come back at a light to make the left turn across so you'll be on the proper side to get into the hotel lot (and you have to look sharp so you don't miss the driveway. I would not want to try it after dark.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family