“A Light Shining in the Wilderness Go Now!”

Eva's European Sweets
Ranked #13 of 687 Restaurants in Syracuse
Muncy, Pennsylvania
“A Light Shining in the Wilderness Go Now!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I live close to the Pennsylvania coal region and have been searching for an Eastern European restaurant ,but, to no avail. I even travelled to Buffalo, New York, which at one time had the largest Polish population in the country, and still was unsuccessful. And then one day while taking a brief tour of Syracuse, there it was, Eva's. A light shining in the wilderness.

We ordered a number of the dishes and all were excellent. What was of great interest to me, are the menu items which I can't find anywhere else. Try the cabbage and beans, try the green beans, try some of thier salads and you will quickly understand this is more than kielbasa and pierogies joint.

Also, please pay special attention to this advice. They are very accommodating! If you don't want three of an item, just ask for one. Check out the menu and try a little of everything of interest and settle back to enjoy a fantastic ethnic feast.

If this type of food interests you, it is worth a long drive or perhaps stop over in the area.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Josxc

New Bern, North Carolina
“What a Great Meal”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had lunch here with friends after seeing this restaurant on Diners Drive-ins & Dives.
What a great experience.
We shared the Pierogi's where we got an assortment of potato, potato & mushroom, and sauerkraut & bacon.
Then had the Golabki (cabbage rolls). 5 pieces were $14.25. They were huge.
We also shared the Placki Ziemniaczane (potato pancakes) with sour cream and applesauce. 5 pieces were $12.95.
The ladies shared the kielbasa with sauerkraut for $8.10.
The guys had a kielbasa dinner for $12.95 and the Gnieciuchy (polish style gnocchi) for $7.25.
We topped that off with pear pie and raspberry pie with coffee and tea.
A very enjoyable lunch which lasted me all day.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank GmaSandra
Brandon, MS
“It's Polish for sure”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband's family is Polish, so we thought it would be nice for him to enjoy home cooking while traveling. The pierogies were good and a nice assortment, but lukewarm and not quite the quality dough my mother in law makes. The dessert assortment was mainly cheesecakes. Only 2 ladies working the guests and one in the back, so don't be in a hurry. That said, it's like visiting your polish aunt's house.

• Visited August 2013
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Oh My Gosh!!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Having a Polish Mother who recently passed away, I was looking for comfort food while visiting my Daughter. Saw this on the Food Network and wanted to try. I am very glad I did. We set the Nav. to find it since it was a little out of the way and parked on the street. It looked a old store front. But, looks can be deceiving. Inside you find a comfortable space with about 6-7 tables.

Now the best part...the food. How can I describe how I felt eating a potato and cheese pirogi? Little pockets of heaven with a butter and fried onion coat. The sauerkraut was like my mother made...sautéed and sweet, not sour. The stuffed cabbage were the perfect meat to rice ration and the tomato sauce was wonderful. Everything was like a visit to my mother's house...except I had to pay!!! Don't miss out on this treasure.

• Visited May 2013
“Can you say FLAVOR?!? GREAT little place - YUMMMMMMM!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have been told many times I must go to Eva's. I work with a woman right from Poland and she kept telling me how wonderful the food is, and very authentic. WHY DID I TAKE SO LONG TO GO TO EVA'S??? I was absolutely pleased 100% with the deliciousness of the food. I ordered potato pancakes with bacon and saurkraut in the batter, golabki (stuffed cabbage) and we had an order of a variety of six pierogis. My husband ordered their polish stew which comes with potato dumplings and choice of a veggie or saurkraut. Great pick with the saurkraut. Homemade is over the top better than that canned junk you can buy in the store. We were stuffed, but kept eating and trying the different items. We ordered way too much food - thankfully - because we got to bring home leftovers. I can't say enough about this little restaurant.

It is decorated with polish items and it's tiny and very casual. They have a back room that you can also have small parties in (let me tell you - we kept racking our brains trying to think of a reason to use that back room for two reasons: one - to go back as soon as we can and two - to share Eva's with as many friends as possible!) As you walk in the door you are greeted with a huge array of desserts. Unfortunately it was impossible to even THINK of having dessert after eating the amount I did. Eva's also has a large choice of polish beers. I easily found beer I enjoyed. I like a popular brand of lite beer, and they had two that I liked.

The prices are extremely reasonable. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited June 2013