“Huge Pancakes and Great Service!”

Mother's Cupboard Fish Fry
Ranked #29 of 687 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Cranston, Rhode Island
“Huge Pancakes and Great Service!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If I was just driving past this restaurant, I would not have stopped there to eat, but it came highly recommended by my daughter's friends in Syracuse. It looks a bit run-down on the outside, but was bustling inside! We went on a Sunday morning (about 11:00am) and waited about 30 minutes to get a table. Each of the three of us had a pancake that was bigger than the plate it came on (no joke!) and coffee. My daughter ordered home fries and I had a side of ham. I honestly could eat only one third of my pancake and half of my slice of ham - it was delicious and very filling. We all took home some food, and the leftovers made a great lunch the next day! Our waitress was wonderful about making sure we had enough coffee and creamers; for as busy as the restaurant was, I did not feel rushed to leave at all. It was less than a 10 minute drive from the Syracuse University area and is definitely worth the wait if you enjoy diner-style food and service. We will be planning on going there again on our next trip to Syracuse!

• Visited April 2013

Conway, South Carolina
“Great Breakfast!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a must stop spot! I am so glad my husband and I drove a little further from our hotel to eat breakfast here (we saw it featured on Man vs Food). It is a small place and only takes cash. The service is great and friendly. I had the foot wide chocolate chip pancake and my husband had a 3 egg omlet with hashbrowns. They were both excellent and huge. We took half of it with us for a later meal that was just as yummy. The prices were great too! This is a must stop if you are a breakfast fan!

• Visited February 2013
Castle Creek, New York
“Every time we are in Syracuse”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We go to Syracuse 5-8 times a year, we always go to the Mothers Cupboard. Way too much food and yes you do feel like your in your ma's kitchen again. The few tables are always filled, so go early. There are few of these gems left, so I hope it's always full.
Screw McDonalds!!!!

• Visited January 2013
New Jersey
“Meets Expectations”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Seeing this restaurant on Man vs Food made this eatery a primary objective on a recent trip to Syracuse. It was exactly as portrayed. A small, greasy spoon type of breakfast/lunch (closes at 1:30 PM) restaurant that seats about 20 at tables and another 10 on stools at the counter. The tables will seat 5 at the most. Our party of 3 sat at a table, but I would have enjoyed sitting at the counter to watch the cooks work at the grill.

When you drive up to the restaurant, you see a dingy, run down building the size of a trailor sitting in an unpaved parking lot with plenty of ruts. If people are waiting outside you have to leave your name with a waitress inside.

Service was excellent and our order filled quickly. The waitress stopped by to refill coffees. We had a great meal and enjoyed the experience. Portions are large so come hungry. The waitress offerred to wrap leftovers to go, but we declined. I had the Frittata, but the 1/2 size of the challenge. It wasn't too hard to finish it and I think I could have finished the full order. I enjoyed a touch of hot sauce on my Frittata to give it some extra taste. The other members of my party had omlets and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I would definitely return. It is a little pricely for breakfast, a $30 bill without tip for the three of us, but well worth it. However, given the hotel we were staying at charged $14/person for a breakfast buffet, this was much cheaper and better. By the way, the restaurant is minutes from all of the hotels near the airport so very convenient for visitors.

• Visited December 2012
Syracuse, New York
“Best breakfast in town”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

When the food is more important than the decor, this the place to go. A good, old fashioned diner with no pretense.

Visited November 2012