“Smells like a porta-john”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Taps Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #481 of 708 Restaurants in Syracuse
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Yes, most of the negative reviews here are true. Sadly, these types of places are allowed to exist. If you want a two dollar pint of Genesee or Pabst you'll be fine. They also have a couple of video games and darts and pool. There are two TV's usually airing popular sports. There is free popcorn. Just recently I met some people who were not allowed into Taps because they were accused of being drunk, yet they were sober. Hmmm....

1  Thank chefjeffbishop

Reviewed June 5, 2013

They don't even let me in because I am "too messed up" when i am completely sober. If they do let me in, they beg me to sit down and to have my jacket on the coat rack. I will never try to go back there because they do not deserve my money. I just want to sit, relax, and have a few drinks after work.
I hope this place closes down, if i ever win the lottery i am going to buy it and make it a better bar. BOYCOTT TAPS!

2  Thank ShenBaw315
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not a restaurant, they haven't served food since the first year they opened. Regulars are territorial, and they will vibe the unfamiliar. The belligerent, staggering, reel down the steps, appears to be the exit style of choice. There is a very nice sushi restaurant with a full bar (a little pricey) right next door, and there are several other places that serve GREAT food, and sell beer and wine, right across the street. Unless you like sloppy drunks fighting over the electric dart board, while they pump the worst music on earth out of a cable jukebox at 110db, the best thing about Taps is that it is easy to ignore.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I know it's been stated before but it's really a dump bar. It smells and the staffs are very cold and rude.

It has that cowbell hanging on the door. Our friend just arrived, opened the door and the bell clang loudly. They then unpleasantly looked at him and said: "you've had enough for the night". Our friend said he didn't even have a drink that night. They didn't say anything, they just glared at him, like GTFO. We said that he's with us. They remained silent, and then the other staff and the bartender started to stare at him as well. The atmosphere was silent and tense. We then left. It was a very bad mood killer.

This is the worst bar I've ever been. Some other review said that it's good because the beers are cheap. Well, if I want a cheap beer, I'd just stay at home.

If you want a fun time and be treated respectfully, go across the street at Alto Cinco for some good beer, wine. Or if you want liquors, go farther to Faegan's, a pub around the University area, or even downtown. Believe me, it's worth it. This is like, after spending time cooking a fine tasty food, you go and eat it in the bathroom.

3  Thank cathy M
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Taps is a dive that serves liquor. If you live nearby and can walk to/from, that's a bonus. I have a feeling that is the exact crowd that keeps Taps in business.

Drinks are average price, average quality, below-average variety - cheaper than armory square, cheaper than Alto Cinco across the street.

If you are already driving/cabbing to go out, there is no reason to go to Taps.

You go to Taps because you want to drink at noon, you want to drink dressed like a scumbag without feeling bad about it, or you are walking distance.

Many of Taps' bad reviews are unfair, because it is a pathetic dive bar and shouldn't be held to any other standard.

I am a white American so I have no ability to comment on the alleged discrimination, prejudice and/or racism of the owners/bartenders. On the other hand, I rarely see any patrons of color in Taps...which may be an indicator.

1  Thank Andrew M