“Great new location and wonderful food!”
Review of Gentiles Restaurant - CLOSED

Gentiles Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Syracuse, New York
“Great new location and wonderful food!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were a little worried about Gentiles moving to Geddes Street, but our worries are over. They have decorated the inside to make it feel more intimate than it actually is and the menu was very diverse. So much so, my husband and I both had a hard time deciding what to get. Our waiter, John, helped us out with that and he did a good job, besides the fact that his service was very attentive.
Nice wine list, good bread, many salads to choose from and our entrees were fabulous. We were not disappointed and will definately be back again.

• Visited October 2012

Los Angeles, California
“90's hot tub time machine”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I could have titled this Better Luck Next Time. Because, I really, really wanted to love this place. The chef is friendly accessible, the menu is ambitious, he obviously cares. But the reality is this would not fly in a real food driven city. Drop this place in Chicago/NYC/SF and it wouldn't make it. Why not? For one thing it seems very cliched, the menu reminds me of a me-too 90's restaurant. Everything sounds good, but the actual execution is lacking. Maybe it's just me and it's targeted to local tastes, but I found it sort of bland with a fancy sauce dribbled over it. If I were the Chef I would close during a slow month and go eat my way through a major culinary destination city.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank happygwailo
Syracuse, New York
“Fantastic lunch”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

What a diverse menu. I went for lunch and had the sweet and sour chicken and mango risotto.It was delicious! There were many other great choices on the menu so we will be back to try other dishes. Our server was very personable and helpful.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Karen D
New York City, New York
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Had dinner here recently with my husband and the food was not as good as the last time we'd been several months prior. We liked the atmosphere and decor of their previous location, the new place seemed a little slapped together without much thought and it didn't really give off the vibe of a "high-end" restaurant. The food was good enough- I had the marlin with citrus tomato sauce and crabmeat. It was a generous portion of food but the marlin was swimming in sauce an although the waitress said the chef cooked the fish to medium-rare, the middle was still raw. My husband had the stuffed chicken and he said certain bites were rubbery as if it had been reheated in a microwave. The mashed potatoes were chunky and bland and the squash served alongside was undercooked and flavorless. For what we paid (my entree was $30), I expect to have a meal prepared with good ingredients (which they were) and better quality overall. This was a disappointing experience for us.

• Visited August 2012
Syracuse, New York, United States
“One of the best in Syracuse!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Gentiles is eclectic italian, which only means that many of the dishes are pasta based, but they are far from traditional american-italian flavors. The chef, Kevin, creates brilliantly balanced dishes that are mouthwatering. You'll be eating the leftovers as a midnight snack, just because it was so good.
Kevin is also very accommodating of food allergies and preferences. I am gluten, sugar and dairy free and I never have a problem getting exactly what I'm looking for. If you don't see what you're craving on the menu, don't be hesitant to ask if he can change up a dish to fit your desires.
A bit pricey, but well worth it. They offer a more affordable lunch menu before 2pm. The staff are wonderful, and exemplary of what true waiters should be.
I would eat there every day if I could!

Visited August 2012