“Sorry Dominick's - not good this time”

Dominick's Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 687 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
New York
“Sorry Dominick's - not good this time”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

When I come back to Syracuse for a visit, we usually head over to our old standby - Dominicks. The service was good, but the food has gone down hill. The sauce, which used to be pretty good, was very bland and watery. The chicken parm was super bland and the pasta was gummy. My husband had lasagna which used to be a favorite of his, but was cold and bland. My sister had prime rib, which the portion had shrunk. She had a side dish of spaghetti with only a spoonful of sauce on it. I'm not sure whether it's the economy or different cooks, but it was not good. Maybe we just caught them on an off night, but honestly, something changed and it was not for the better. Sorry Dominicks, you really didn't do so well this time.

• Visited December 2012

Syracuse, New York
“Reliable Family Restaurant”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Dominick's is a family favorite on which we can rely for a good, generously proportioned meal. The prime rib special on Saturdays is a favorite with the guys as well as eggplant parm, chicken francaise. We always go home with enough leftovers for another meal. The service is consistently good. While its not the finest Italian Syracuse has to offer, it's a good family meal out.

Rochester, New York
1,982 restaurant reviews
“Pretty good for what it was”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I ate dinner at Dominick's last night, and I thought it was pretty decent, with good value for the price. It didn't strike me as an "old family Italian" place, although that's sort of the feel that I think they wanted to bring to the customer. I got a table fairly quickly, although the place was pretty crowded for 5:00 PM on a Sunday night. I imagine you'd need reservations on the weekend.

Service was prompt and friendly, and my dinner was very nice. I ordered broiled scallops with a crabmeat stuffing, and I've got to admit that the portions were very large. There must have been at least a dozen scallops surrounding a nice mound of crabmeat stuffing, which was flavorful but not exceptional. (I couldn't tell if it was real crabmeat or the fake stuff, but it was tasty anyway.)

I felt that their main course was better than their earlier courses. The salad, similar to many other Italian restaurants, is 100% iceberg lettuce, with the normal onions, pepperocinis, etc., on top. I wish they'd use some Romaine or other form of greens mixed in, just for variety. Another improvement they could make is to purchase a bread warmer. Don't get me wrong...their bread is very good, and tastes home made. It's just that cold bread leaves me a little...well, cold! (Please excuse my poor attempt at humor.)

Anyway, this restaurant was still a nice place to go, and you get very good value for the dollar. It is NOT a "romantic" Italian restaurant, as there were a lot of large tables with loud kids a round us. But still, I'd recommend it, and I would gladly return for the food alone.

• Visited November 2012
Phoenix, Ny
“Cheap restaurant with dinner food and thats all”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My first time at Dominick's and my last.

I ordered the Prime Rib which was maybe a select quality but had no flavor like an ungraded, the au jus was very salty and stayed with me most of the night. The Italian salad dressing was not a pleasant blend of oil and vinegar but leaned more to the vinegar stage while the marinara sauce although good was barely enough to cover my pasta.

The smell of fish strongly lingered in the rooms, which for someone that didn't order fish made it most unpleasant.

The wait staff was good but management was not accommodating on going that extra mile to help with a large party on keeping checks separate.

The food was very inexpensive but it was a classic "you get what you pay for".

Will I advise this restaurant to anyone? Not when Syracuse offers such excellent Italian fare.

I will admit they have long lines but that is strictly because it is "family affordable"

• Visited September 2012
Syracuse, New York
“GOOD ITALIAN COOKING”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

You can order ahead for take out or sit down an enjoy. This is the most convenient Syracuse resturant with very good Italian cooking, plenty of it at a very fair price.

Visited March 2012