“Still a great place”

Dining options: Lunch
Palm Coast, Florida
“Still a great place”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I remember the Brooklyn Pickle from the old days when the sandwiches were piled high on large oval slices of real quality bread. My favorite was Corned Beef on Rye with Thousand Islands, or what we used to call Russian back in the day. I've never experienced anything like those sandwiches anywhere else since then. I've been to the Brooklyn Pickle a few times in recent years and it just isn't the same as it once was, but it is still one of the best places on the entire east coast to get a sandwich. I make it a point to go there each time I'm in the Syracuse area and yes, I still order the Corned Beef on Rye with Thousand Islands.

• Visited July 2014

DeWitt, New York
“Maybe not a substitute for a true NYC sandwich shop, but still very good”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

There are two Brooklyn Pickle sandwich shops in the Syracuse area and, because we had out of town visitors, we visited them both on consecutive days. My review applies to both, as the two locations were virtually identical with respect to food and service, although a bit different in size and construction.

If, like me, you have been to delis and sandwich shops in the New York City area in general, or Brooklyn in particular, you will probably note that many ethnic specialties common to that area aren't available here. In some cases, the breads and meats in the NYC shops are a bit better than here as well. But don't let that turn you away; the Brooklyn Pickle shops are among the very best sandwich shops in the Syracuse area.

You'd have to be an extraordinarily picky eater not to find something here that you will like. The sandwich choices are extensive, and there are plenty of sides, soups, and breads to choose from. Everything I've had here in my various visits has been consistently very good.

The BP shops are handicap accessible, have sufficient seating nearly all of the time (though weekday noon is always crowded), and the staff really hustles to assemble your order and keep the line moving efficiently.

Perhaps the one thing that could be improved here is the choice of breads. I would appreciate it if kimmelweck rolls, genuine hard rolls, and crusty French or Italian bread were were offered for the bread choices. Syracuse, sadly, has few places where these are available.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Joe H
Cicero, New York
“CORNED BEEF ON DARK RYE”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We have been going to The Brooklyn Pickle for decades.....both on Burnet Avenue and West Genesee Street in Syracuse, NY. We went there recently and I was surprised to see that they have raised their prices AGAIN. A whole corned beef sandwich is now well over $8.00. The best part is.....the meat was not fresh. We got them to go and when we got home, the meat was slightly slimy. YUCK! There is nothing worse than old meat on a sandwich. We discarded them as it was not worth getting sick! I think we will think twice before going there again. It is such a shame too because we went there when they first started out on Burnet Avenue in a little bit of a building. They need to check their products closely on a daily basis! Thank you!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank eyerishwoman
Buffalo, NY
“First Visit Enjoyable”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Finally made it to the Brooklyn Pickle while in town for work.
Initially tried to go for lunch, but the crowd inside was too much, and the place was not what I expected, so I left with plans to try again for dinner.

For those who don't know, as I didn't, this place is not sit-down service, but a "corral-style" line leading to orders at the counter.

I grabbed a drink from the cooler and a bag of chips from the rack on my way through the line as I struggled to read the menu board behind the counter. Essentially the menu is sandwiches, subs, salads, and soups. They also had some puddings for dessert.

I asked the cashier to recommend a sandwich for me. She quickly replied that the "Brooklyn Pickle" was their best seller, so I agreed to try it. It was a corned beef and pastrami sandwich on dark bread, with Russian dressing and cheese. Sort of a "Reuben", but with pastrami added. She offered to heat the meat and cheese, but told me they could not grill their sandwiches.

In a couple minutes my sandwich was wrapped with some pickles and on the tray. I paid and ventured to find a seat in the dining room.

The bread was very fresh and soft. The meat was piled nicely and there was just the right amount of dressing. I enjoyed the sandwich, but the addition of the pastrami made it more salty than I am used to. With the chips and drink, I had a filling meal!

It was a nice sandwich, but I would definitely try something different next time.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Barry D
Syracuse, New York
“Best Sandwiches”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is by far one of the best sandwich shops. They have lots of choices and everything tastes fresh. It's not too pricey. The lines always move fast even during lunch hour. Highly recommend!

• Visited August 2013