“Huge wait to get in, and the food will tell you why!!”
Review of Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Ranked #4 of 702 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Being big fans of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, we decided we'd frame our meals for our weekend in Syracuse around places that have been on the show! It was our first time searching out a featured restaurant (or dive!) and we decided to hit the original Dinosaur BBQ. Unfortunately, we only had a short window of time between other scheduled events, in which to go there. We called ahead for reservations and found out they don't take them, so we headed there around 4pm on a Saturday. Upon arriving, there was a line out the main door, and the hostess told us it was currently a 1.5 hour wait for a table for 2 adults and 1 child. Crazy! But that tells you how good this place must be! On the side of the building is their takeout area, so we went around to the side and got our ribs and pulled pork "To Go" in about 15 minutes. Went back to the hotel and ate there. Admittedly, eating in the awesome ambiance and atmosphere of this original Dive would have been the better experience, but at least we got to try the food, and the ribs were "fall off the bone" tender, flavorful, smoky, and just awesome, as was the pulled pork. I bought a couple bottles or their own BBQ sauce as well. If you're in Syracuse, and have the time to wait to get in, go for it!

1  Thank lhousesoccer
Write a ReviewReviews (2,276)

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Wow! All I heard before heading to Syracuse was "Go to Dinosaur BBQ...if you can get in". This is one popular place and it's obvious way - the food is AWESOME! We went at about 4pm on a Saturday and the place was totally packed. We had our infant son with us and decided our best bet was to go the take-out option but even that had a long line. But there was no way we were leaving empty handed once we smelled and saw the orders go by.

The food is great. The price is reasonable. It's a funky atmosphere with a very random and varied collection of patrons - it's totally worth the wait. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

A must if you're in the 'cuse. Bikers (see the bikes lined p outside), students, businessmen, cops, artists, EVERYONE eats here. Can't make up your mind which meat to get with that delicious Dinosaur sauce? Get a set of sliders with one of each! Fresh mashed potatoes, pit beans, and to die for mac & cheese. Great beer selection. Great music, heavy on blues, most every night.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Dinosaur has a number of locations, including two in my area, but I was advised to try the original. It was worth the detour, the search for parking and the wait. My first visit was a week ago. I tried the Tres Hombres combo (pulled pork, ribs and brisket), but ordered takeout as I couldn't wait a half hour for a table. It was superb, even two hours later at my hotel. On my way home yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised there was no wait, so I ordered the traditional sampler (chicken leg quarter, ribs and brisket). As good as the takeout was, in the restaurant it's way better. Service was prompt and friendly, and it's the sort of place where everybody's happy because the food's so good. I will shortly be trying the Stamford and Harlem locations; four hours is a long drive even for food this good.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Liked the food and the atmosphere of the place. Took me a while to get used to the dark light in the restaurant. Staff was friendly. Food was served pretty quick, too.