“Overpriced, mediocre steak”

Ranked #375 of 692 Restaurants in Syracuse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was visiting Syracuse for a trade show and was looking for a quick bite to bring back to the hotel room after a long show set-up day. It was close to the hotel, so I gave it a shot. I got what equated to a $30.00 take-out dinner for one. The Petite Sirloin was tiny, although it tasted fine & was an OK cut of meat, it was not a $19.00 piece of steak. There were also no napkins or utensils in the bag.

1  Thank davef123
There are newer reviews for Scotch 'n Sirloin

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Was recommended here for steak while visiting for Xmas. I am in the restaurant business myself (in Massachusetts) and I know quality meats . I understand meat prices are high. I ordered the ribeye and at $26.50 this cut of meat was very very tough. They know how to cook to temp..I ordered med rare and got it that way. The mashed potatoes were ehh.. like someone's grandmother made them and couldn't mash them enough..very chunky. But not in a chunk here and there way..but all around chunks. Service is top notch , atmosphere is ok for a old steakhouse which it is and they want you to feel that old friendly meat house feel. Salad bar was fine..but its a salad bar. Nothing special about it. The steak I couldn't finish because I kept taking it out of my mouth because it was way too tough to even chew and i had a pile building up of chewed meat. I left half and didn't bother bringing it home which is saying something because I ALWAYS do with steak because ill throw some cajun spice on and blacken it the next day. I pay way less for better meat other places. Maybe here in Syracuse there's no better options . I don't know.. but I do know I wont be going back here.

1  Thank Jazzy413
Reviewed December 16, 2012

No windows, so dark inside but still nice atmosphere. Nice bar, bar area with a central fireplace. Eat you peanuts and drop the shells on the floor. Small but nice salad bar. Menu a bit limited and a little expensive, but still good, a definite must for business dinners.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Scotch 'n Sirloin has been an institution in Syracuse for many many years.It used to have the best steak in town.
Our last visit there was a disappointment.The steak was good, not great.The service was slow and there were many differnt servers stopping by our table, but it took a long time to get our drinks and our meal.Things have changed there and not for the better.

1  Thank Margaret g
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Came back to Syracuse for my college reunion and went to one of the places we used to go for fancy nights or when the parents were visiting. It hasn't changed a bit. Even the bathrooms were unchanged. You start with a very basic salad bar - big bowl of salad (which was just about empty) and a small collection of add-ins and dressings, plus some really good pumpernickel. My sirloin steak was as ordered, and very juicy, and the baked potato was hot and firm. The service "team" was attentive and helpful when choosing a wine. All in all, a fun blast from the past.