“Great Mexican in the city”
Review of Alto Cinco

Alto Cinco
Ranked #25 of 687 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Skaneateles, New York
“Great Mexican in the city”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

You will love the relaxed atmosphere in the city. Westcott Street is a great neighborhood with a lively interesting scene. New twist on Mexican and great vegetarian options. Would go here on any occasion. Take out and delivery in Syracuse. Not your typical Mexican but very creative and fun. Don't know what else I can say. I cannot seem to get this review submitted. I wish that TA would make it easier to review and move on with the rest of your life. Too bad I cannot get them to accept this.

• Visited July 2014

Toledo, Ohio
“fresh ingredients”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

wow, place is top notch. will not find a more unique place. will be back. dan was great! spinach salad excellent. miss the hook and ladder chard : (

Visited April 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“Slooooowwww service, good food (?), unique ambiance”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I was in Syracuse for work and my work-friends and I decided to grab lunch here based on reviews we read on-line that said it was a must-do. When I walked into the restaurant, I was impressed by the rustic decor and spaciousness. It felt like you could really have a good time there. However, it was 10 minutes before anyone brought us water or a menu, even though the restaurant was not busy. It took another twenty minutes for anyone to come back and take our order. After we ordered, it was almost a half hour before our food came. It probably would have taken longer if one of my colleagues hadn't complained. The manager was gracious and agreed that the food took way too long and discounted our bill by 10% and gave us free sodas. By the time the food came, I was so hungry, I basically shoveled food in my face. I had the catfish tacos, and I'm not sure how good they were since I ate so fast. Same went for my colleagues. Overall, I wasn't impressed and don't think it lived up to its hype. However, I can see how others could have had a great dining experience, especially for being in a small college town. I guess if you are looking for a twist on Tex-Mex in Syracuse and are in the area for a few days, Alto Cinco is worth a visit.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank brinabean
Skaneateles, New York
“Nuvo Mexican”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

If you're looking for the typical mexican food experience, you will not find it here. I would call it more Mexican inspired. The flavors types are the same but used in a more creative and vibrant fashion. The cat fish is perfectly prepared and served in all of the burrito, enchalada and taco applications. The guacamole is bright and flavorfull. Do not forget to order it as a side. Everything I saw that came out of the kitchen looked wonderful. They have a fair wine list and offer lots of selections of beer. It could be called pricey, but with 50% of my tab taken up with two glasses of wine, the food was totally worth the $$. We sat at a table outside and our server, Stephen, was engaging and took good care of our needs. I will be back.

• Visited June 2014
“This IS NOT Mexican food!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I visited Alto Cinco for the first time a few weeks ago. We had not had any luck finding an authentic Mexican restaurant in Syracuse, and had high hopes. Sadly, and as it turns out not too surprisingly, we were disappointed. I'm not sure if their chefs have ever eaten authentic Mexican food before, but the flavors and absence of spices in both of our meals are reflective of their lack of experience. Oh, and don't let anyone tell you that it's really more "Spanish" cuisine than Mexican, because that's a load of garbage as well!
We started by ordering margaritas, which were the saddest drinks I've ever had. Have you ever heard of a margarita made with wine rather than tequila!?! If not, don't try it. Not even a little! To be fair, I did not see on the menu that they were made with wine rather than tequila, so that's my fault. But, the fact that they are offering such a terrible version of a classic is totally on them!
We started with chips and house made salsa, which tasted like tomatoes. Just. Tomatoes. There was absolutely no heat from peppers and no other seasoning to be found. We probably should have just stopped after that, because the house made salsa is usually a pretty good reflection of how delicious the remainder of the meal is going to be.
I ordered one of their specials and my husband ordered a "covered" burrito. My dish looked terrible and was much more like a dip for chips than an actual meal. My husband's burrito was dry, completely under-seasoned, and had a green chile "cover" that contained about 1tsp (LITERALLY) of green chile that was mostly chile seeds. We ended up sending both of our dishes back and asking for our check. What followed was supremely frustrating!
As I have been a server/bartender in the past and my husband is currently a restaurant manager, I completely understand that it is not our waiter's fault that we did not enjoy the garbage coming out of the kitchen. Which is why we fully intended on paying for the food/drinks that we tried to consume and leaving him a 20% tip for his decent service. We waited several minutes before he returned to our table to tell us that they had comped the entire meal and we had no check to pay. We politely thanked him, but insisted that we pay for, at the very least, the items that we had consumed. He refused to bring our ticket to us and walked away, albeit very politely. As we had no cash, and our server refused to run our card for any amount, we left without leaving a tip, which only aggravated the situation and made us feel like complete jerks!
I understand how customer service works, but at no point am I ever planning to return to Alto Cinco no matter how much food they are willing to comp! The food is absolutely terrible and this establishment should not be advertising themselves as a Mexican food restaurant.

• Visited May 2014