“Sorry, not impressed”

Cuisines: Italian, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2015

I do believe that when Guy Fieri made his pitstop at Pastabilities, it was probably a nice gem. It seems as though the establishment may not be able to keep up with its growing popularity. A no-reservations restaurant means there's a hearty wait. Once we were seated we started out with the hot oil appetizer as raved about in reviews. It was satisfying, especially to hungry bellies. The pasta entrees lacked a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, my pasta came swimming in sauce. Pasta doesn't need to be slathered in sauce to mask a rubber noodle when the pasta is freshly made in the kitchen. The restaurant was also quite loud as we sat near the bar. I would suggest requesting a table in the back or second room if you plan to visit.

1  Thank TravelBug683
Write a reviewReviews (1,195)

Reviewed May 21, 2015

As an Italian who grew up eating at Nonna's house, I'm typically very critical when it comes to Italian restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised at the authentic nature of the food at this crowded local hangout. Service was good and food was excellent.

The Carbonara was creamy and salty with the sweetness of peas. The portions were large and food was delivered quickly.

My only caution...don't fill up on the Hot Tomato Oil and bread that is served complimentary. This may be the best dipping sauce I've ever laid a hunk of bread into. Simply fantastic.

If you want solid Italian food you can't go wrong at Pastabilities.

Reviewed May 21, 2015

Recently enjoyed a delicious dinner here on an early Saturday evening. We purposely went early because they don't take reservations....very glad we did --- it got very busy very quickly!! Atmosphere is typical downtown yuppie bar/restaurant -- quite loud and tight spaces. Food was fabulous!!! Starting the their signature bread and tomato oil for dipping and moving onto a large antipasto salad shared by 5 of us. Dinners were delicious and served steaming hot!! Most of their pasta is homemade and tastes like an Italian grandmother used to make. One of our group ordered the Chicken Riggies and was warned by the server that they have a spicy hot kick to them ---- she wasn't kidding --- very spicy but also very delicious. Prices were not bad --- a little steep for pasta dinners. We will definitely be going back!!!

Reviewed May 14, 2015

We are regulars at this fantastic establishment. We first ate here about 3 years ago and make the 30 mile drive on a regular basis now to have dinner here. Being in food and beverage for my entire life, I consider myself to be rather particular when it comes to all of the aspects of eating out. My categories are: Atmosphere, service, and food.

Atmosphere: From the moment you walk in the ambiance of the dim Edison bulbs, exceptionally tasteful decor, and local featured artists captures you. All of the seating in the restaurant is comfortable and you feel like you're in a Manhattan establishment. The kitchen is exposed and the Chef's and expediter are expertly and professionally preparing and moving food out to the tables.

Service: The waiters, waitresses and management staff are all so incredibly accommodating. Yes, we are regulars so they recognize us and make us feel special, however even before we became regulars, the service was always outstanding. That's a major component of creating regulars!

Food: The food.... oh the food. Complimentary bread and hot oil begin your eating experience every time. It is beyond fabulous. My husband dreams of their homemade ravioli with the hot oil sauce. They have a beautiful seasonal menu that changes 4-6 times a year. I enjoy a variety of their regular menu items as well as their seasonal items. The attention to the complexities of the layers of flavor in every dish is a culinary delight! Homemade pasta that is perfection. The seasonal fish dish is a grand slam every time. I cannot say enough good things about the food. I am so impressed. The final piece of great food is consistency. I have yet to ever have a mediocre food experience here. They knock it out of the park every, single, time.
We love this restaurant and will continue to be life long raving fans.

Reviewed May 10, 2015 via mobile

I had a dinner and 2 lunches here during my stay because it was convenient to my locale. The lunch is a quick pick up your meal from the counter fare. I had pasta both times, once with Alfredo and once with a tomato sauce, with chicken on top. For dinner, I had the chicken parmigiana. The pasta was homemade, and the food was generally good. The service seemed reliable, and the meals were adequate and enjoyable but not truly memorable. That being said, this is probably a good option for the area if you're there a few days.

1  Thank labor2