“Good Comedy....Horrible Food!!”

Funny Bone Comedy Club
“Good Comedy....Horrible Food!!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It was our first time there, a our friends won free tickets. We got there at 6:30 and ordered food, as a result of being early...and then hungry. The waitress brought out my Chicken Quesadillas and they tasted a little funny. Fast forward to 2 days later and stomach is still off. Do yourselves a favor and don't eat there....eat before or bring your own...the comedy was Awesome!...just not worth 2 days of horrible stomach.....

DeWitt, New York
250 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 391 helpful votes
“Go for the show, but don't have high expectations for the food”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is primarily a stand-up comedy venue. The shows, of course, vary by performer, and in the several times I've been to FB, the range has been from good to outstanding. The food, on the other hand, is just average, but to be fair, they've got to serve a large number of people in a very short time so you should adjust your expectations accordingly. We now choose to eat our main meal in one of the nice restaurants in Destiny prior to the show and just order a snack or dessert and drinks at FB. Usually the show tickets are reasonably priced but the food and drinks at FB are pricey.

The venue itself is well designed and handicap accessible. Everyone is seated at tables and you can see and hear okay from anywhere in the room (which accommodates several hundred people). You may find the seating process a little unpleasant. Here's how it works: Your entire group must arrive together and after getting your ticket at the box office, you get on line. Be there very early (as much as an hour or more for the top acts) if you want seats up front, because when the doors open, they will seat everyone based on their order in line. You have little to no control over whether you will sit in the middle or to the side, though you can control how close you are by arriving early or later. If you are given a table that is not satisfactory for some reason, we have found that they will try to accommodate your needs, but they usually cannot move you closer to the stage. Mostly, you take what you get, and it works okay.

We find that on nights where there are both early and late shows, that the wait to get in for the late show can vary quite a bit depending on how promptly the early show ends and how quickly they can clean up and prepare for the next group.

It is common for the comics to come out front into the mall after the show to sell their DVDs, and usually they will do autographs and photos even if you don't buy one.

Most of the shows do not accommodate families with kids, because the performers can get pretty raunchy at times. Check the website before making your plans to see if a performance is suitable for your family or group.

A minor tip: After the show, everyone will try to exit to the rear of the showroom, where they entered. However, at the front of the showroom, to the left of the stage, there's another exit directly to the mall. This is the quicker way out if you are anxious to leave.

1 Thank Joe H
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Fun Experience, Definitely Worth it!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I would just like to start out by saying that a lot of these reviews are a little bit harsh....
I won 4 free tickets for entering my email address so I went with friends.
1. Although the club recommends you should arrive an hour earlier than the show, you don't have to... that's why its a recommendation... so if you're complaining abt that that's your own stupidity. We actually showed up at 7:31 (show started at 7:30) and had no problem getting seats together.
2. The drinks and food IS extremely overpriced, but it's absolutely not as awful as everyone's making it out to seem. We got a basket of fries to share as an app and all got drinks. I got the frozen strawberry daquiri for 7.50, it was huge with whipped cream on top and absolutely delicious. A few friends got the 9.50 signature top shelf drinks which were also very good, and it came with a free cup (had no idea either, added bonus!) -- if you're not looking to spend that much beers are 4-5 dollars...
3. The show itself was hilarious. The host Juan I think his name was.. was great, as well as the two comedians Mike Baldwin and Jeff Blanchard. We were laughing so hard, and there was a great vibe in the club.
Overall, we had a great time. It was definitely a nice break from the same old bars every weekend and we will definitely be going back.
The only thing I would recommend to the Funny Bone is lowering drink and food prices, and maybe hiring more waitstaff it was hard to get refills at some points.

1 Thank jen a
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great shows, not great food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The set up this place is a little unusual, and I'm not sure how normal it is for comedy clubs. I have never seen a bad show at this place and have never laughed so much at a live show. I've been there 3 times and have always gotten pretty good seats, but that's because my group gets there at least an hour in advance. It's first-come, first-seated and the place fills up pretty quickly especialy for the bigger named acts.

The main drawback of having to get there at least an hour ahead means you might be hungry and want to eat or drink. We've eaten there twice and both times the food was definitely not worth the money. It doesn't taste fresh or like the cooks quite know what they're doing. My husband got a chicken sandwich and I got mac and cheese with chicken the first time. Both were pretty awful, particularly the chicken tasted off. I think it had a weird seasoning or was too salty or something. All of our friends got food, and no one left very happy. And of course, the food is a little pricey for what it was. The last time we went I stuck with the mac and cheese as a safe bet, but without chicken and my husband got the nacho plate. Again, nothing too great and still the same high price. The nachos tasted stale, the sauce was a weird flavor and the pulled pork was definitely not "home-made".

For Syracuse, the drinks at this place are pretty pricey. I've never gotten a drink here because of it, but the mixed drinks are around $10 each. The sodas are $6 for a cup or $7 for free refills with a souvenir cup. Of course we go for the refills, but each waitress/waiter is working on so many tables we usually only get 1 refill for the entire show.

They won't let you go into the show unless your whole party is there, which is kind of a pain. A friend was running about a half hour late and they said we either had to go in and not sit with him... or wait for him and go in together. If the tickets are purchased, I don't see what the big deal is. But maybe the problem is that they don't have real tickets? They use print out that looks like a receipt and stamp your hand. And I'm pretty sure if you don't pick up your tickets within a certain amount of time, they sell your spots. I've been to at least one show that was sold out. So, it helps to reserve the tickets. But, even with reservations you have to pick them up before a certain time or I think they go back up for sale.

The first time we went we had a group of 8 so we didn't have to share tables, but the 2nd time it was just 2 of us. We had to share a table with another couple, which was a little awkward. This last time was really bizarre because we had 6 people. 4 in our group had their own table, then my husband and I sat next to the group at a different table... which then meant they wanted 1 person from that table to move down (by himself) to the table next to his friends and sit with 3 strangers. So he ended up just staying at our (very small...) table. It was rather squished since the tables are a little small in the first place, but on top of that they had a bunch of drinks and the empties weren't getting cleared until the show was almost over.

Really, I think this place is great mainly for the acts. They have Groupon deals where you can get tickets as low as $3.50 if you have a large group. These can only be used for the lesser-known acts, but it's certainly still worth it at that price. The full price ticket is $20 and each ticket has a $3 fee (they should just say it's $23 instead of charging a random fee...) and at least with the guys we saw were WELL worth it. So far we've seen Tom Wilson (Biff from Back to the Future), Mick Foley, and I can't remember the last guy's name. I know my husband's looking forward to Pauly Shore and Rob Schneider, coming soon! I know some of my friends have seen Tom Wilson before and said a bunch of his jokes were the same as what they'd seen, but obviously that depends on the comedian. Also, I think overall the warm up acts are pretty good. Which isn't always the case from place I've been to in the past.

After each show the comedians have stuff to sell and will take pictures with you. My husband loves getting a chance for a quick hello and getting a picture with them.

Unfortunately for the local comedy club, Wise Guys, I think this place is going to take them down. Wise Guys has the upper hand on food for sure. But it doesn't seem like they can't get the same kinds of big names that Funny Bone can as often as Funny Bone can, and probably not for the same price either.

Visited June 2013
Syracuse, New York, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“HORRIBLE!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

A little upset we had to wait in line to just get in (all ready had ticket in hand) Only had time for one drink at the bar before being herded into the "dinning room" it was all downhill after that went with 6 other people we all ordered food together 1/2 of our table got their food and ordered desert and we STILL hadn't gotten our food over 35 min.'s. After complaining, they did NOTHING!! I went home and wrote to the company they still did NOTHING! Didn't even get a response. Weeks later i find out one of the other couples we went with ( the ones who did NOT have a problem that night ) got 4 free tickets from the manager! So needless to say i am not friends with them anymore and will NEVER go back to FunnyBone again! Oh and to add in we went to see josh blue and he did A LOT of his Stuff was from old and repeated stuff kinda a bummer-but i would still love to see you again josh blue...just not at FunnyBone

Visited February 2013