“My worst marriott experience that I've ever had - Youtube video:”

Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Denver
“My worst marriott experience that I've ever had - Youtube video:”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

So bad I shot a youtube video: http://youtu.be/bXRE8DX1yu4

My worst marriott experience that I've ever had. Traveling for work, I'm a Marriott member. I enjoy staying at Marriott hotels. This one happened to be my worst experience with this chain, however. Most of the details were minor on their own until I was kept awake at 2:50am for more than an hour while snow plows outside were clearing a particular street (it had not snowed recently, by the way, I actually shot a video from my room showing no new snow on the rooftops. Next was the sink which was barely connected to the counter, and finally the towel rack that fell apart when I touched it. All around terrible job for one of the more expensive marriotts in Western New York.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank DealinDoug24
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
As I mentioned in our previous communication, I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I am truly sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. I have shared your video and comments with our entire team in order to address feedback related to our facilities. Like you, we were extremely dismayed with the City of Syracuse's unfortunate decision to move snow banks in the middle of the night. Had we been notified prior to the work commencing, I assure you we would have voiced serious concern for our visitors. We have spoken to representatives at City Hall about our displeasure with the disruptions faced by our guests. We are a brand new hotel in a great location and we are proud to be part of the revitalization of Syracuse. When your travels bring you to Syracuse again, I would be honored if you gave us a second opportunity to provide you with an enjoyable stay.

Warm Regards,
Jim Wefers, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Greenfield, Indiana
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Syracuse for a basketball game. The staff was very nice but the cleaning staff did not do a very good job with cleaning our king suite before we arrived. The glasses on the counter were very dirty and clearly not cleaned, ironically they were wrapped in plastic with a sticker that said "Sparkling Clean" which was not the case.
On our second day, we discovered a device laying against the wall by the TV, to our surprise it appeared to be drug paraphernalia. We promptly took the device to the front desk and were told that the issue would be addresses by the cleaning manager. I have to believe that a complete inspection of the room would have prevented is from going through this experience. The staff did apologize but the entire experience really calls into question how much the cleaning staff actually did to prepare our room before we arrived. I have stayed at many hotels and this was by far one of the most disturbing experiences.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mike P
Jim_Wefers, Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Mike, thank you for your honest feedback about your recent stay at the Courtyard. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to extend our most sincere apologies in regards to the item you recovered in your room. The lack of thoroughness on the part of our housekeeper and room inspector fell horribly short of your expectations as well as ours'. I can also assure you that your comments and actions have prompted a new level of awareness among our entire staff and have given us yet another tool for training and development of our employees.

In no way is your experience at the Courtyard acceptable or indicative of the level of service we expect to provide for our guests. I hope that, should you return to Syracuse, you will offer us chance to improve on your impression of the Courtyard at Armory Square.

Regards,
Matthew Graber
Assistant General Manager
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a brand new hotel and has very nice facilities. The positives are nice rooms, free internet, great gym and many local bars and restaurants. The valet parking is a bit of a pain but overall this is much better than staying out in Carrier Circle.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
We appreciate you sharing your recent experience at the Courtyard Armory Square. We're glad you enjoyed our brand new amenities and central location near Syracuse's best restaurants and bars. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay!

New York
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I spent a night here with girlfriends for our winter party. It is convenient to Armory Square restaurants and shopping and it meant we could have our dinner, wine and not have to drive after. The hotel is immaculate and the staff friendly. Something like this is just what the square needed. But for a Saturday night in December, the bar closed a bit too early so we had to rush our cocktails.

Tasteful decor throughout, especially in the suite.

Room Tip: Lovely two room suite available made it a real party place for four!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BettysDaughter, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Courtyard in Downtown Syracuse. Our location in Armory Square really does allow visitors to explore the best of Syracuse without having to venture too far from the hotel. I know that our staff with appreciate your comments as well. We hope to host your next getaway at the Courtyard.

Long Island
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I just wanted to say this hotel was so clean. Everything was perfect. The staff was extremely helpful and went out of there way to assist me. It was in walking distance to many restaurants. The staff went above and beyond to get my computer working, giving directions to local restaurants and even getting me a taxi. The have a Bistro and a Market for snacks and drinks.

The only issue was the heating system was noisy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The rooms were modern and cheery. We had a view overlooking the main street. The staff was very helpful and the valet parking very convenient. We wished there were a mirror outside of the bathroom as two women sharing a room, it would have been helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Rochester
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight last Saturday on a cold, below-zero night in Syracuse. It was good to have a convenient valet service. The location was excellent, with an outstanding local Irish Pub directly across the street. The rooms were clean, comfortable and modern. The only thing odd was that the shower stalls didn't have soap dishes. All in all, we would stay again when we had the opportunity.

Room Tip: Get a room above the 2nd floor or facing the street. Our room looked directly over the parking lot...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Bob, thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Syracuse! I'm glad that our valet service offered an easy escape from the frigid weather! I will be sure to pass along your comments during our next staff meeting. Kitty Hoynes is a Syracuse treasure and we are fortunate to be so close. I hope to welcome you back again during your next stay in Syracuse.

Warm Regards,