“Nice addition for downtown Syracuse”

Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed September 5, 2013

In the last two years, I have needed to stay at a hotel in Syracuse to break up the long drive from Boston to Cleveland. A few times I have stayed at the Sheraton near the University. The Courtyard is further from campus, but likely a doable walk.

The Courtyard and Sheraton offer equivalent rooms, though the Courtyard is brand, spanking new. The biggest plus of staying at the Courtyard is the room windows open up and have screens, allowing for plenty of fresh air which is important to me.

The Sheraton offers self-parking in an attached garage. I had no problem using the friendly valet at the Courtyard and liked the fact that I did not have to walk through a garage late at night or early in the morning.

The area around the Courtyard is in transition. I did not explore, but directly across from the Courtyard I noticed an upscale athletic clothing boutique (Lulemon) and a hair salon. The reviewer who scathingly wrote the Courtyard's neighborhood is so awful omitted that detail.

So, where would I stay again my next trip - Sheraton or Courtyard? It is a toss up and would depend on how important it is to be steps from the University (Sheraton) or sleep with fresh air from having the windows open rather than the recirculated air from the HVAC unit (Courtyard).

If you are traveling with Fido, the Sheraton allows dogs. Marriott Courtyards do not. However there is a Residence Inn attached to the Courtyard and likely it allows them. I did not have my dog with me this time, so it was not a concern.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 28, 2013

New hotel is clean and has friendly staff BUT the location is so bad that Marriott's website description is nothing short of blatant lies. This property is not in the "heart of the action" but is actually surrounded by vacant and abandoned storefronts that are further enhanced by addicts and assorted vagrants that go on for block after block. We were panhandled five times(Yes--Not exaggerating) in just two days. The Marriott description said the hotel has a connecting corridor to Syracuse University. Since we were in Syracuse for the express purpose of touring the University, we thought this was great.another absolute case of fraud. The school is a two mile ride through about fifteen blocks of complete urban blight. I assume the arts district referred to in the hotel's website must refer to gang grafitti.

I advise you to avoid this hotel if you value your safety.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Mikeod446
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay as well as discussing your concerns with our staff while on site. We value the safety of our guests above all else and are disappointed that our downtown area did not meet your expectations. As downtown Syracuse continues to see growth and redevelopment, we hope you will allow us to offer an overall positive experience during your next visit.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Reading the earlier reviews it certainly appears that they are experiencing a few new opening pains. We stayed for one night on August 16th and everything was excellent. Parking is indeed $10, but I parked my own car in the valet area.

The rooms were of course very nice looking since everything was brand new. The room was very clean. Someone commented that the closet blocked the TV, but it is on a sliding platform, so all you have to do is pull it out.

Their food area is called a Bistro. In the morning the chef/cook fresh prepared an excellent breakfast. I found the prices to be normal.

Everyone on the staff that we came in contact with (valet, front desk, housekeeping and Bistro) could not have been nicer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

It is wonderful to hear about your stay at the new Courtyard Syracuse Downtown hotel. Thanks for providing feedback from your experience with our rooms and dining area. As for your excellent breakfast, I have passed on the compliments to the chef!

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The Courtyard and Residrnde Inn are connected and are both new, look and smell new. It's a little pricey for a Courtyard but very conveniently located in Syracuse. Friendly workers and very clean. Serves its purpose well.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your review on our Courtyard in Downtown Syracuse connected to our Residence Inn. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our location and overall service. Come back to visit soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We reserved a stay at the courtyard for August 5 to 8 but when we got there we were told that we were switched to the Residence Inn which adjoined the Courtyard. We were not happy about the switch without being told but had no choice. The room was big and nice and of course clean because the hotels are brand new. The problem was with the air conditioning and the location of the room. The air conditioner was so loud that we couldn't sleep. We also found that the street noise from this downtown hotel was also very loud. We had a very bad night that first night. We then spoke to the general manager of both hotels and he moved us back to the Courtyard and this time on the side of the hotel away from the street. It seemed to us that he did this grudgingly. In the new room, which we are sure had never been used (why we weren't given this room in the first place, I do not know), the street noise was quieter but the air conditioning unit was still too loud. Did the hotels cheap out on the units. The compressors are just over the beds and when the go on in the middle of the night, if you are not asleep, they will keep you awake. Another problem we had was with the WiFi. It was free and it worked, at least for internet access, but for some reason I couldn't send or receive email. The hotel staff just shrugged their shoulders. Other than that, all staff that we encountered were very helpful and nice. That's a good start. One problem is though, staff while very pleasant, are not trained enough. A case in point, we were at the bar, getting tea and the bartender was trying to open a bottle of wine and she just couldn't figure out how to open a bottle of wine to be able to pour someone a glass of wine. Eventually she asked me to do it. All in all, I liked the location and rooms but the jury is still out because of the loud air conditioning units.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is not on the street side of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dadofjessie
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay at our new Courtyard in Armory Square. I am sorry for the change in accommodations you faced upon arrival. While we may be adjusting to the new properties, we expect our facilities to be fully functioning and have asked our Mechanical Division to investigate and remedy any climate system noise. I am pleased we were able to relocate you during your stay and apologize for any displeasure you may have perceived during our interactions – it was purely unintentional and not in keeping with our high service standards. We thank you for your patience during our grand opening period while we fine tune our systems and ensure a fully-trained staff. I invite you to return to our Armory Square hotel during your next stay in Syracuse and am confident you will be pleased with our progress.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The good: Hotel was like-new, the room was large and comfortable. Spacious bathroom. The only odd thing about the room was the placement of the TV, which if you lay on the bed, approximately 4" from the right side is cut off the screen because it is blocked by the closet.

The miserable: Parking is valet-only, $10 for overnight stay. You can only enter the hotel/parking from one narrow driveway. The garage exits are blocked with cones, so you can't just pull in to the garage. During our check-in, cars were backed up into the main street. I counted 6 cars waiting just to pull in the driveway, waiting for others ahead to pull in, unload, get the valet to take their car away to the garage. We sat in line for 20 minutes. A few hours after check-in, we drove out for the evening. Had to call the valet to get the car. Upon return, we experienced the same drill - cars in line out to the street waiting for the valet. You can't get around the cars; most drivers were somewhat in the middle of the driveway. We pulled in to the exit (after moving the cones) and parked ourselves - I still had the previous valet tag in my window and matching number on my keychain. When walking back into the hotel, the valet confronted me for circumventing the system... while there was still a line into the street! Parking is truly horrible here. They state they don't want the general public using the lot - so why not have a gate that works off your room key?? 30-40 minutes spent getting into an leaving the hotel is ridiculous. Not well thought out, valet not well staffed. Prepare to wait - and this was on an early Saturday in August, prior to the college students moving in or any big games or events on the Syracuse campus.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay at The Courtyard in Downtown Syracuse. We are glad that you enjoyed our clean, modern rooms and amenities in the heart of Armory Square. Our goal is to provide an easy stay from arrival until departure and apologize for any delays our guests face with Valet Parking during our grand opening period. Please be assured that we are constantly reviewing and refining our services and have discussed your comments with our parking staff. We hope you will join us again the next time you are in Syracuse and I’m confident you will be pleased with our improved efficiency.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Hotel is brand new and they are definitely working the bugs out. Our room on the top floor was sweltering. They moved us to another room where the air conditioning was working better, but not great. Our family of four was only given two towels and we had to ask for more. There was an awful smell in the lobby. The staff was accommodating and apologetic when there were problems, but they didn't go above and beyond. They don't seem to care about Marriott Elite status. The area is OK. If you want to go to the Dinosaur BBQ restaurant down the street, go early as it is a long wait.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I sincerely apologize that your recent stay at the Courtyard Downtown Syracuse did not meet your expectations. While we have just recently opened, we expect our climate control systems to be operating fully and find the extreme temperature in your room unacceptable. I am pleased that our staff was able to relocate you and your family. Thank for you bringing to our attention some issues with our Lobby and in-room amenities. I have asked our Housekeeping and Facilities Departments to ensure these areas are addressed. We hope to see you again during your next stay in Syracuse.