“I'd rather not”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I had a horrible experience there. I knew this was a new restaurant so I sent them a letter explaining what had happened, expecting some kind of reply. I received nothing. The letter below is the one I emailed to them, please read and take heed before going there. One of the worst experiences I've had at a restaurant.

6/28/2013
Hello,
My friends and I ate at your restaurant this evening and it was not a good experience; in fact it was actually quite a terrible experience. I've been in the restaurant business for 12 years and I know that one bad waitress or bad experience can ruin an establishment's reputation so instead of writing a review I decided to address this issue with you. I know you are a new business and a bad review on Yelp or any of those other sites can really hurt a restaurant especially in such a competitive environment, and I love the idea of your restaurant and want it to succeed.
Addressing the issue at hand, my friends and I arrived around 6pm. We sat in the dining room at first and then moved to the courtyard because we weren't aware until after we sat down that you had outdoor seating. Everything was fine up until our entrées came out. My friend's entrée came out, and the waitress informed us that the rest was coming out soon and that she had messed up the orders. I didn't tell her that I seen our orders brought to the table right next to us. The man she had given it to had picked up the bun and then asked her what it was because it didn't look like what he'd ordered. When we finally got our food my friend's order was wrong. He had ordered an eggplant sandwich and received a turkey sandwich. We flagged down our waitress and told her about the mistake. She offered to get the correct sandwich out to him but he said he would keep it. Three bites into the sandwich he saw two curly brown hairs under the sandwich in the sauce. He set it aside and after waiting to see a waitress I finally went inside and told our waitress and what I can assume is the manager on duty. The waitress apologized; the manager came back and asked to see the plate. I pointed out the hairs and she responded that all the cooks wear the proper headwear in the kitchen. I told her I understand I'm in the business myself. She responded by saying she would take it off the check and walked away. She never asked my friend if he wanted anything else or even apologized. At this point I became infuriated, I know the right way and the wrong way to handle situations and apparently she only knew the wrong way. I understand these things happen but a heartfelt apology is in order, and there was absolutely no inclination of that in her response. The waitress dropped the check off and said the sandwich was taken off and an extra 10% off the check. The manager came by a couple minutes later when she was clearing plates and apologized for the mix up with the food, she said the waitress doesn't know the table numbers yet. Whether she knows the table numbers or not she should have known what we ordered. I understand mistakes happen, sometimes a foreign object gets into the food and sometimes you get an inexperienced waitress. All that I can let go, but the way it was handled was inexcusable. Had the manager offered to make my friend something else he would have gladly taken that (there was no need to comp the sandwich), but she didn't. Instead he left hungry and we all left feeling unappreciated and angry at our experience. I write this hoping all of the issues can be dealt with, especially the way your customers are treated.

2  Thank ljdbianca

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I've been to Beer Belly twice and had trouble deciding what to try, because the menu items might be hard to find anywhere else... chicken wings made with eggplant instead of chicken, for example. In fact, I got the "chicken" wings both times, because they are delicious, and satisfy my craving for wings. Can't wait to go back to try something else.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

A deli on Westcott St! Hooray! I only wish it was good. We ate here when it first opened and were not impressed. We returned twice, hoping it had improved, and were disappointed. The waffle fries are good, but the ketchup is weird. The sandwiches are understuffed and not as good as the local Subway. The service ranges from mediocre to unapologetically poor. The staff seem focused on the bar at the expense of the dining room. I wish we had a good campus deli. This is not it.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Beer Belly Deli is a cute and friendly sandwich and salad sit down restaurant/bar that is quintessential Westcott. Try the waffle fries and beer ketchup, or the sweet potato tots with maple syrup mayonnaise. Reasonable prices and speedy service. Don't miss it!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Beer & appetizers were excellent. We loved the sweet potato tots, French fries w/ beer ketchup & draft selection. Bottle selections were nostalgic, stuff we used to drink in college. We sat at the bar and had a great happy hour experience. I wish they had outdoor seating, it is pretty dark inside.