“Needs an Overhaul”

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
New Orleans
“Needs an Overhaul”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is incredibly dated and could use a complete renovation. The rooms, while fairly spacious, are kind of retro - popcorn ceilings, non-flat screen TVs, old telephones, etc. We found a random old beverage bottle under one of the beds. We could hear everything happening in the hallway. The beds were decently comfortable, except that I think they try to pass off flat sheets as fitted sheets, so when I woke up in the morning, I was lying on part of the bare mattress, which kind of grossed me out.

The bathrooms are small. Our toilet usually took a couple of flushes to make sure everything went down.

I realize that this is a budget-friendly hotel, but I think that they could spruce things up a bit to make the experience a bit better.

I realize that this is

• Stayed May 2013
BWSAIGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Syracuse Airport Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
May 12th, 2013

Dear corklevy,

Thank you for reaching out to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. Please know that your satisfaction is important to us, and we take your comments on our efforts and amenity quality into consideration as we constantly look for new ways to meet our guest's expectations. I apologize for any discomfort or inconvenience you encountered and for the frustration you faced. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction, and look forward to having another chance to show you the quality hotel experience you expect .

Scott parody

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here on the final leg of our trip north because of the rate and I had stayed there previously. The desk clerk reminded each person at check in about the on site restaurant which was open until late. After finding our room, my husband and I went downstairs for a light dinner. A flight crew was there and one of the flight crew had his phone out and was showing his fellow crewmembers a video on his phone at top volume and they were all laughing, including one of the waiters, with fake diamond earrings in each ear, who joined the viewing. It was incredibly rude. We placed our orders and waited over 30 minutes for our food to come. When we asked about the delay, we were told that they had had a lot of calls for room service! The waitress took my husband's plate away while I was still eating..........and after awhile you just had to marvel at their lack of training. Why steer people to your restaurant if your staff doesn't know what they're doing? The food was actually pretty good if you could get past the guest experience.

Room Tip: this hotel doesn't have an elevator so stay on the first floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BWSAIGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Syracuse Airport Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear naturalbeauty53,

We appreciate your review of our restaurant and staff and I wanted to let you know that I have shared your comments with our staff members; we take great pride in providing our guests with excellent food and service. I’m very sorry to hear the latter did not meet your expectations. Thank you again for your time and input and hope to see you again at the Best Western Syracuse Airport Inn.

Thank you. We appreciate your input.
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the evening as we were visiting the New York State Fair with a friend of ours. I liked the price that we paid but it is a very dated hotel built in the 1960's. There is no lifting device to get one to the second floor thus one has to carry their personal items up the stairs. Walls are paper thin but appears that the management of this hotel is trying to get it in good shape from a maintenance perspective. Morning breakfast was fine but told they didn't give out free Sunday newspapers as it was to too expensive. Hotel management may want to check into this as I find some of the other major chain hotels don't have a problem giving out free Sunday newspapers to their guests!

Room Tip: Near the airport with a good shuttle service there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BWSAIGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Syracuse Airport Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear bob55russell,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, following your visit to the Best Western Syracuse Airport Inn.

I am disappointed we failed to handle all of your requirements in a satisfactory manner and I appreciate your constructive critique of our performance. We offer a predetermined number of complimentary newspapers at our front desk.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Syracuse Airport Inn the next time you are in Syracuse. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one.

travelling
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Please click on my other reviews. I gave the best western another shot, since after my last review the manager contacted me to make amends and assure me that this hotel wasn't as bad as it seemed during my last stay.

It was just as bad. Long black hairs on 3 of the 4 towels provided in the bathroom, and several more under the sink on the bathroom floor, THICK dust on the TV and everything else in the room, gross stained carpet. Never again. Candlewood Suites also has a quick shuttle service to the airport.

Kids running up and down the hall, paper thin walls, i could hear the kids playing cars in the room on one side, and the entire conversation our other neighbor had with her husband on her cell phone.

At least this time, the staff seemed attentive and helpful.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HungryPeople44
BWSAIGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Syracuse Airport Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear HungryPeople44,

Thank you for your comments concerning the Best Western Syracuse Airport Inn. I appreciate your taking the time to review us and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

I am disappointed we failed to handle all of your requirements in a satisfactory manner and I appreciate your constructive critique of our performance. You have alerted us to an area needing attention and corrective action has been taken.

Scott Parody

Travelers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

Us
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Grabbed this hotel on priceline because it's close to friends that I was visiting in the area. The girl working the front desk was nice. When I was walking to my room. A maintenance man greeted me. But I thought it was weird when he asked me what room I was going to and he proceeded to follow me. NOT GOOD! The Hotel is shaped like the pentagon. Very 60's. Very Old. Very Dated. Needs to be torn down actually. Reminds me of an army base.
Front desk manager who is a younger, bald headed man checked me in on my second day. He said he was charging $20 to my card in case I steal anything.(his exact words) When he asked me if I needed my room cleaned. I asked him to send someone to clean the tub since I used a spray tan. Instead of sending someone he himself walked with me to the room to check the tub for himself. He literally GASPED as if I destroyed the tub with the tan. I had to remind him that it easily comes off with SOAP AND WATER. I found this to be ignorant arrogant and complacent. . The cleaning staff are weird just like the manager. She came to clean the tub and was rolling her eyes the whole time. I gave her $5 and she grabbed it without even saying Thanks. Completely ungrateful. Shouldn't have tipped her anything. The hotel is badly dated with old 32 inch tv's. old brass light fixtures from the 80's.Free breakfast was sub-par. Got the room for 2 days @ $47 a night plus $16 tax. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. But I guess you have no choice when you use priceline name your own price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
BWSAIGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Syracuse Airport Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Idaliss,

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Syracuse Airport Inn. I appreciate your taking the time to review your stay and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.
We are disappointed your room did not meet your expectations. We have completed a major renovation of our rooms in the last year which included wall coverings, carpeting, and artwork and window treatments. We have ordered 37” flat screen televisions for all of our rooms.
I have investigated your comments regarding my staff, and have taken steps to ensure that the problems you experienced do not happen again.
We pride ourselves on our professionalism in the business of making our Guests comfortable and greatly appreciate your taking the time to let us know how we can improve.

Best,