“Great staff makes up for the age of the property”

Best Western Syracuse Airport Inn
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Colorado
“Great staff makes up for the age of the property”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

As others have mentioned this is an older hotel, but is clean and well maintained. However its real strength is its staff. We arrived early from a trip on the Erie Canal and Michelle at the front desk treated us like royalty. She even switched us to a first floor room due to our age and heavy luggage, for no extra charge. The lady running the lounge/restaurant was equally friendly and helpful. The layout is odd (essentially circular) which gives two escape routes from each room. There is no elevator (only 2 floors) so if you will be heavily laden ask about a first floor room. The immediate proximity to the airport with shuttle service is a major plus and for years we have used this hotel as a base for trips to upstate NY. The food is serviceable, not gourmet, and reasonably priced. The Airport Inn is strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask about a first floor room if you have a heavy load.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Rossville, Georgia
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Found this hotel last minute and got a really good deal through Priceline. We stayed for 1 night. Location is right by the airport (on the same road the airport is on), but you can barely hear the planes taking off (definitely not loud enough to disturb any sleep). The staff is super friendly - from the check in to the lounge/restaurant and everywhere in between. The rooms are spacious and everything is very clean. Beds are comfortable. There is a lounge, a restaurant and a good size pool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Southern California
Reviewed June 19, 2011

It isn't horrendous, it's just worn. Clean, but definitely average. My wife and our three kids stayed here en route to Lake Placid and if we hadn't been rushed the night before on Priceline, we would have shopped a bit more. No gym, comp breakfast was fair (could have used more fruit). Friendly desk/reservation staff helped us out with a dinner suggestion (Stella's). Housekeeping staff needs to lower voices in hallways.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Binghamton, NY
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The hotel itself is nothing special, but it is located right outside of the gates of the Syracuse airport and will allow you to park your car there and shuttle you to the airport. The savings on the airport parking fees are worth it alone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Pens_Fan_67
North Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2011

The only reason to stay in this old facility is airport convenience. The front staff female was a step above indifferent.. The rooms are very small & arranged in a pentagon type layout with double doors every few yards - I'd assume for fire containment. One in our party needed closed caption but the TVs are so old the newer remotes didn't work. I got the only remote they had for this at the front desk but the batteries were dead. We finally got it to work by taking some from our other remote. There is NO elevator. The lounge was small but the lady working was very helpful & attentive. She even responded quickly to our request for CC on the lounge TV. But I guess the tourism industry isn't alive & well in upstate NY so we didn't expect much.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bekindtoanimals7
Bay Of Quinte
Reviewed January 25, 2011

It is all about their Location right on the Airport grounds in good weather you could walk across the parking lot and get your flight. Best in winter to take their free shuttle which is very convenient. We booked a stay and fly package for an extra $5 a day you can park your car in their open lot. A free continental breakfast is also included. We booked probably their cheapest room one queen bed at $89 a night which considering the room was a bit steep. It was bare bones but relatively clean the pillows and bedding sheets were not nice threadbare very worn and wrinkled we pulled back the covers to look for evidence they hadn't been used by a previous guest and really were not that convinced but with the absence of body hair and toe lint we hoped for the best. We did need to ask for an other threadbare cover since the one on the bed was so thin. The heater was a bit noisy but not smelly and the toilet was leaking on the bathroom floor, the tub and sinks were clean, the walls are thin so you can hear other people and the noise from the hallway. But it seemed most guests were trying to be as thoughtful as possible keeping the noise down. The outdoor pool is in the center of the hotel surrounded by rooms so in summer it could be noisy.
On check in the staff were friendly in a jokey sort of way but being a tired traveler I did not get their jokes at first or appreciate for example being told they would take our car out joy riding as you need to leave your car keys. However next morning they redeemed themselves when we discovered our flight was cancelled due to weather they really rose to the occasion and quickly helped us get to the airport and gave us suggestions for finding another flight. Without their help we probably would have turned around and gone home we were so discouraged. We never did get our free breakfast so I have no idea what it is like.
Would I stay here again? Strangely Yes if I was flying from Syracuse again simply because it is such a great location. I would book earlier than a day or 2 ahead to try and see if they actually do have better rooms and maybe spend a bit more on the room. We read so many mixed reviews about hotels near the Syracuse Airport that in the end location was the deciding factor and the Best Western turned out to be the Best choice for us.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 4theluvofgolf
Pleasanton
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I have stayed at this Best Western several times due to 5:30 AM flights. I find it to be a reasonable hotel, with helpful desk clerks, a fairly varied restaurant menu, enough parking space, and inexpensive. It is very close to the airport, within walking distance, but I have never been disturbed by airport noise. I have, unfortunately, been awoken in the night during two separate stays, by a very LOUD buzzing noise in the walls. When I contacted the desk clerk, I was informed it was due to water pipes being left on, or some such thing. The first time this happened, my son and I had to change rooms at 2AM as the noise could not be stopped. On our most recent stay, the noise stopped after 10 minutes, and we were able to stay in our room but I didn't sleep for the remainder of our stay. The desk clerk did refund our dinner tab as compensation, but what I really wanted was an undisturbed night's sleep when I had to make an early AM flight. It appears to me that if I have experienced this twice, it is an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed and corrected. I am leery of staying here again due to the noise problem. I have contacted Best Western about this, and hopefully it will be resolved as I like the proximity to the airport and the inexpensive cost of staying here and do not wish to have to find another hotel to stay when I need to fly out of Syracuse.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family