“Sweet old hotel full of character”

Jefferson Clinton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2014

It's fun and increasingly difficult to stay in a hotel which has some character and a unique place in the local landscape, so it was a pleasure to find the Jefferson Clinton.

It's an elegant building with stylish furnishings. The location is great, near lots of nice independent shops, bars and restaurants (ie not a ghetto of cookie cutter Starbucks/Subways). Our room was small but nicely turned out and the staff were super-friendly and helpful. It was great that after a long day of driving down from Canada we were able to leave our car on the street and the receptionist took the key, went out to find the car and moved it into their lot, leaving us free to sample the offerings of the Empire Brewing Company brewpub in the next street. They also have an omelette station/chef for breakfast, which is a nice touch.

My only concern was that there was something in our room which made noise (sort of like an air con unit) but I couldn't figure out what it was. I sleep with earplugs (and it was kind of a white noise anyway so not the kind of thing which would awaken you in the night) so it didn't present a problem, but if you're sensitive to that kind of thing ask to have a look at the room first.

Room Tip: Tell the receptionist and/or ask to see your room first if you're sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Steve B, Owner at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Thank you for being our guest and writing such a nice review about our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed yourself while staying with us and hope you will return should your travels bring you back to Syracuse.

The unit in your room you mentioned is an air purification system. It is part of a group of rooms that we have in our hotel for allergy sensitive guests. Again, thank you for being our guest and truly appreciate your comments. Kind regards, Steve

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Great central location, very nice and helpful staff, cozy rooms (the air purifier/ humidifier made it feel very comfortable and relaxing... a nice touch), fast free wifi, delicious hot breakfast, and valet parking is a bonus. The downsides are that many toiletries/ personal care items are not provided in the room and you need to call front desk to ask for lotion, comb..etc. They have an impressive list of things they can provide you with but it would be nice to have some more of the basics in the room already. Another thing, rooms are old and you see a lot of wear and tear. Our sink cap was stuck shut when we just arrived so we had to fiddle around with it for a bit to fix it (not what you want to be doing as you settle in). And about the trademark rubber duckies....they're cute but I don't get the significance since there's no bathtub. But we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
JCHGM, General Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear aati,

Thank you for being our guest and leaving a review! We are happy you were able to try one of our PURE rooms. I'm very sorry about the sink stopper, I will make sure maintenance checks into that. We hope you'll visit us again soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

My 2nd stay here. I stayed here one night 1967 before my military physical the next morning. The US Government and my local Draft Board put me up here when being drafted for the Viet Nam war. Well the place looks a lot better these days. I also slept better this time around because I knew I was going home the next day and not to boot camp. The place is really nice. The people working here are even better. Very nice people both while checking in and out, plus the fellow that parked my car for me. When I checked in I was told that I got an "upgrade". I asked why and the nice lady just smiled. So I received an instant upgrade and have no idea why. My room was a suite. It had a very nice living room with very modern big screen TV and DVD player, nice kitchen with coffee maker, stove, dish washer, refrigerator, sink, and microwave. The bedroom had a real nice king size bed, another TV and DVD player, clothes closet, and large new modern bathroom. This is an old hotel but you would never know it from the inside of the rooms. I slept like a log because this room was so very quite. These walls are thick and these rooms are very very quite. I can't say enough about this hotel, it's employees and this great room. This hotel is close to the popular Armory Square area, it fact it's in the Armory Square area. Also one short block form the famous Landmark Theater, which was my reason for being here. We took in a concert at the theater, dined and toured the Armory Square and all from walking distance from our hotel. This is the place to stay when attending an event at the Landmark Theater and not wanting to drive home after the show. Stay here, you will be glad you did. I would have rated this hotel a 5 start rating if it wasn't for just one thing. The breakfast. They offer a free REAL full breakfast each morning. My only problem was that the scrambled eggs, home fries, and sausage that were in these headed serving containers were cold. However you can get eggs and omelets to order which would have been better. This is my dilemma and I really hate to say this in fear they will stop with the free breakfast. If this hotel did not offer a free breakfast I would have given it a 5 star rating but because the breakfast was so cold I can only give it a 4 star rating. Hopefully they will continue to offer the free real breakfast but will manage to keep it hot or at least warm, in the future. None the less, breakfast or no breakfast I love this hotel and you will too.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the 4th floor or close to it. The elevator is small and if it's up on the higher...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear BurnWash,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and leaving such a nice review. I truly appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. It sounds like you had a lovely visit to Syracuse. I do apologize for the cold breakfast- as it turns out the thermostat was not working properly and has since been replaced. I'm so sorry we overlooked that during your stay.
I hope you'll visit us again soon. The Landmark has been booking some excellent shows!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Great spot in Syracuse. Lemongrass the restaurant next door has great food and spirits. Sit at the bar and take recommendations from the bartender. DVD collection and popcorn is a nice touch. rooms could use a little refresher.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Frank B,

Thank you for being our guest and leaving a review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to visit the Lemon Grass. We hope you'll find time to visit us again.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I occasionally have to travel to Syracuse for work, and I would never stay anywhere else but the Jefferson Clinton. It's a beautifully kept older building in downtown Syracuse with old school charm and all the amenities you could want for a business stay. It's right in the heart of Armory Square, lots of shopping, restaurants and bars are a quick walk away. You're right near the farmers market that happens weekly, and just a quick walk to many corporate headquarters. I love the pure rooms, kitchenette, and morning breakfast, although 2 tv's in each room has always seemed a bit excessive to me. The only people I would not recommend this hotel to are couples with small children. Not much for them to do, and I'd love to keep the quiet atmosphere :)

Room Tip: Unless you are disabled and need a shower only room, request one with a tub! They're lovely. As...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Amy K
Corrin N, Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Amy K,

Thank you so much for your kind words on TripAdvisor! I too enjoy the Downtown Farmer's Market on Tuesdays and look forward to it all winter long. We look forward to your future stays with us!

Best Wishes,
Corrin

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Was on the way from Montreal through to Niagara Falls and stayed overnight. Was very happy with the service from the staff and the amenities provided! To name a few:

Free DVD library in the lobby (and a good selection of recent titles too!), Free breakfast with hot food and custom-made omelettes, Tuesday evening social with free wine and finger food, complementary laundry facilities, and their trademark tiny rubber ducks in each bathroom!

Nice strong wifi signal everywhere we tried on the property.

Room Tip: Lots of nightlife in the area, so choose a higher-up room in the back if you're sensitive to sou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Nogami,

Thank you for your kind words on TripAdvisor! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay on your way to Niagara Falls. I hope that the remainder of your trip was pleasant and that we will see you again when you come through Syracuse!

Best Wishes,
Corrin

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend while attending a wedding on the finger lakes.

We arrived late on Friday night and checked in quick and easy. The grand old hotel is easy to find in the middle if downtown, and with valet parking included in our room we didn't need to worry about anything.

The room was spacious and comfortable with a vintage feel. It had a small modern kitchenette with coffee machine and coffee pods included.

In the morning a hot breakfast was also included, so another thing not to worry about. The omelettes were especially good.

The staff we met were always pleasant and helpful. Will definitely stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: June 2014
SaroffB2, Front Office Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear JuddFamily3,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope that your travels bring you back to Syracuse very soon.

Looking forward to your next stay!

Bridget