“More Than Expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albany, New York
“More Than Expected”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was in Syracuse for business for a few days and wanted to stay downtown. After reading reviews for the Jefferson Clinton Hotel, I thought I would give it a try. My travel funds were limited so I stayed in a euro room, which all the reviews said were very small. The room was small, just as expected, but what was not expected was the microwave, mini fridge, sink, stove top, and dishwasher. There were even dishes in the cupboards. The bathroom was also much larger than I anticipated. I will say that the building is very oddly shaped and the pictures of other euro rooms did not look like my room so not all of the rooms are shaped the same way. The parking lot is very small for the hotel but when it is full they have complimentary valet parking - very convenient for my schedule.

The DVD library was also quite nice as my stay included a Sunday and Monday holiday so local establishments were not open to entertain (there is a brewery a block away and plenty of restaurants and bars from which to choose). Breakfast was very good. The food was the same each day but there was a chef on hand to create made-to-order omelets so that made up for the monotony. The only real negative thing I have to say is that the building is a little on the older side so sound-proofing is rather low and there were a few oddly exposed pipes and cracks. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would return any time I'm in the area. I found this hotel to be relaxing, comfortable, and very visitor-friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SaroffB2, Front Office Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear swingdancerebel,

Thank you for staying with us and writing such a kinda review on TripAdvisor! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. It sounds as if you received a complimentary upgrade to our Junior Executive Queen Suite. We are glad it suited your travel needs.

Looking forward to your next stay!

Bridget

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

This fine classic hotel is nestled in an exciting downtown area filled with fun new restaurants within a block or two. The room I got was on a corner and was very nice. Large TV. Professional and attentive staff. Perhaps best of all - jacuzzi shower with four different jets gets day off to invigorating start.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Michael C
JCHGM, General Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Michael C,

Thank you for being our guest and leaving such a nice review. We are thrilled you enjoyed the shower in our Euro Room! We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff.
Please visit us again soon.

Warmly,
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed September 9, 2013

While on vacation visiting family, we spent six nights here and will certainly return. In past Syracuse visits, we've always stayed in suburban hotels, but found that this historic hotel in a downtown Armory Square location was much more fun. Our eighth-floor King Studio Suite had an excellent lay-out. A pocket-door separates the bedroom from the living-room, so if one of us went to sleep early, it was no problem for the other (and both rooms have TVs). The bedroom and living-room were cozy, the bathroom spacious, and the kitchen a real bonus. Plenty of storage space for a couple spending 6 days. And quiet! As rowdy as Armory Square can get on weekends, we could not hear the Friday night bands or street parties. The complimentary breakfast in the lobby was wonderful; full compliments for the made-to-order omelettes. Parking was easy on the surface lot behind the hotel. Best of all, we were within walking distance of the original Dinosaur Barbecue, plus other favorites like the Empire Brewery, Kitty Hoynes and Blue Tusk. Staff was extremely pleasant and Housekeeping does a great job.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Regina D
Dear Regina D,

Thank you for choosing The Jefferson Clinton Hotel. It was such a pleasure reading your review and sharing it with our staff. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy our Armory Square location.

Warm Regards,
Houston, TX
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Gorgeous, renovated historical hotel with friendly, professional staff. The Euro room was perfect for a one night stay. The pillow top bed was the most comfortable hotel bed. No airport shuttle as advertised.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear DawnBett,

Thank you so much for being our guest and leaving feedback here on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry about our miscommunication regarding a shuttle. I appreciate your help in locating that mistake!
We hope to see you again soon.
Warm Regards,

Long Island, NY
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Amazing. This is a beautiful, quiet hotel. Our room had a full kitchen, free parking, buffet breakfast with omelet station, close to Syracuse Univ and helpful, friendly staff. Thanks to ?Bridget (her birthday is today!) for recommending Bittersweet around the corner to celebrate my birthday. It was perfect - awesome desserts, cute, fun place- thank you. Don't hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Loveavacation48
SaroffB2, Front Office Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Loveavacation48,

Thank you so much for staying with us and writing such a kind review here on TripAdvisor! I'm thrilled I had the pleasure of meeting you on your birthday and hope you had a great evening at Bittersweet. I appreciate you remembering it was my birthday as well!

We hope you come back and stay with us again very soon!

Bridget
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you are visiting or relocating to the Syracuse area then I highly recommend this hotel on both counts.

The number one aspect for me was the front office staff: extremely pleasant, professional, well trained and helpful with EVERYTHING from soup to nuts. Being new to the area I felt so very welcomed the first time I stayed there (short term) in July 2013 when I ran from the "crappy" hotel...and then in August I stayed longer as I relocated to the area for work and it felt like home. The suites are well appointed and there is a kitchen area with everything you need like home and if it isn't there, the staff will happily get it for you.

Awesome experience so I would highly recommend it for business travelers, families and I also saw quite a few wedding parties who stayed there during my stay.

Location excellent as there are so many great restaurants within a 5-8 min walking distance..

Must check out Lemon Grass and ask for Christian...and for good pizza - Nick's Tomatoe Pie....

Room Tip: if you are there for a weekend and need it to be really quiet pick a higher floor as the town gets b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SteveBusch, Owner at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Mariangela793 - Many thanks for returning as a guest of ours. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate all of your kind words about hotel and staff. We look forward to being of service on your future visits to Syracuse. Kind regards, Steve
Amsterdam, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Upon arrival, my husband and I were notified that we would be upgraded to the Presidential Suite! Woo woo!!!! It was a beautiful room with a sitting area, big screen tv, kitchen, dining area & bedroom & full bath. The breakfast in the morning was good. Eggs, sausage, potatoes, yogurts, fruits, breads & bagels. You could have your own omelette made by the chef, too. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. Nice fitness room, too. The hotel is also near some excellent restaurants. I would recommend the Jefferson Clinton for your stay in Syracuse!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WillowMoon - Thank you for being a recent guest of ours and taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I am glad that we were able to upgrade your suite upon arrival and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future. Regards, Steve