“Tale of 2 Rooms”

Jefferson Clinton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel has as a dual personality. This is a historic hotel that was renovated a few years back and is located in the Armory Square section of Syracuse that is slowly becoming a trendy part of downtown Syracuse. The design of the building makes your room choice essentially facing one of two streets. When I checked in around 11PM on a Thursday night I received a room overlooking Clinton Street. The room itself was OK with a small kitchenette with old tile that needed to be re-grouted. The bed was nice and the bathroom was adequate. What I soon discovered was that Clinton street is essentially "bar row" and the noise coming from the bars was extremely loud. I figured the bars closed at Midnight and went to bed. The bars don't close at midnight...they close at 2AM. Despite being on the 6th floor (there are 11 floors) the noise prevented me from going to sleep. When the bars closed at 2AM the noise actually got louder as you know had a bunch of drunks out on the street shouting, getting in fights, honking their horns and burning rubber as they drove away. At 2:40AM I heard what sounded liking a woman being stabbed but it turned out that she was just rip roaring drunk and screaming at the top of her lungs. By 3AM it finally turned quiet. Quite outside, but every time the AC kicked on in the room it sounded like an air compressor was next to my head because the air intake was right next to the bed.
The next morning I went to the front desk and relayed my experience and requested a quieter room. The woman at the front desk was nice but "shocked" that I could hear street level noise from the 6th floor. I assured her that was the case. I was then moved to the 8th floor in a room overlooking Armory square. This room was essentially the same layout but seemed a little bigger and the air intake for the AC was not near the bed. The tile also needed grouting in the kitchenette area. The big plus was the rooms location which made for a much quieter atmosphere as it was around the corner from "bar row".
If I had stayed in the original hotel room facing Clinton Street I would have ranked this property 1 star. If I had been placed in the hotel room facing Armory Square from the get go I would have rated this property 3 stars. For the purpose of this review I have split the difference.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 8th floor or higher facing Armory Square. Do not get a room facing Clinton street!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Steve B, Owner at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize that your stay was less than satifactory. You are correct that our hotel sits in the entertainment district and can be noisy. Some rooms are much better than others with noise and we're sorry that was not the case with your particular room. I have also addressed your other comments with our team. It is through feedback, such as yours, that we are continually able to improve. Thank you again for being our guest and we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs. Kind regards, Steve

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. Honestly, this is a great place. It really felt more like a 4.5 stars. The hotel has free wifi, free breakfast and free parking. Before I even had a chance to asked if they offered a free upgrades, they already upgraded us to the King Junior Suite on the top floor!
The staff were fantastic and really helpful in recommending things to do and where to go eat around the city.
The hotel is also very nicely located in the Armory district (downtown). It is right in front of the Museum of Science and IMAX (great place to take your kids and catch a IMAX movie at the same time...Tornado Alley on a giant screen anyone? ). I would also recommend that you take a free self-guided tour/walk around the old Syracuse. There are really nice things/buildings to see and you will not be disappointed.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a self-guided tour info.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve B, Owner at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. I will be certain to share your comments with our staff. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you again. Kind regards, Steve

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Hotel was amazing-my 28-week pregnant wife was flying down to Florida while I took possession of our new house and started the renovation and we staid there when I dropped her off and picked her up.

The hotel is very centrally located and right off the highway and has tons of great restaurants and brew-pubs/bars around it.

The hotel itself has definetely been updated-the lobby is gorgeous and very spacious.

The staff was EXTREMELY helpful and accomodating. The free happy hour drinks and snacks are an amazing bonus.

We staid in a suite-and the room had definetely been updated. The bathtub was able to accomodate both of us, and the jets on the tub were phenomenal. The bed was also extremely comfortable.

We will definetely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for being our recent guest and taking the time to share your thoughts. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you as our guest. We wish you luck with your family and look forward to serving you again. Kind regards, Steve

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just spent the labour day weekend in Syracuse and we stayed at this Hotel. Staff was very friendly and accomadating. The Hotel is old but the rooms are nice and large enough. We chose this Hotel as it is really convenient to all the bars and restaurants in downtown Syracuse. The hot/cold breakfast was just o.k. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your thoughts with us. It's nice that you were able to enjoy yourself while staying with us and visit our neighborhood. On another note, we are sorry that breakfast fell short and will use your comments to improve. Thank you again and we hope to see you when your travels bring you back. Kind regards, Steve

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The staff at the Jefferson Clinton was extremely helpful - especially Stephine. Close to all the action in downtown syracuse. The breakfast in the morning is very good for a comp breakfast. They have very good attention to detail and would def. stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
JCHGM, General Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Donny J

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to Syracuse and for leaving a review here on Tripadvisor. Our staff takes great pride in providing the best service so they will be thrilled to read your kind words. We hope you’ll visit us again.

Warm Regards,
Jamie

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to Syracuse for a wedding and was advised to stay at this hotel by the bridal couple.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, facilities were amazing.
We had an executive suite, which was a good size room, and used the kitchenette everyday. One of our favorite things was breakfast and the personalised omelette order. Good start to the day.
I also used the DVD hire service which was great as I caught up on some movie watching at night while the kids were sleeping.
Best of all was when I realised I left something behind, my daughters favorite pillow, I called and they organised to send it to me ASAP.
Thanks to all the staff at the Jefferson. Great stay in Syracuse

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear LisMaletta,

Thank you for being our guest and leaving such a kind review. We are so happy you enjoyed our amenities and that we were able to return that pillow.

Warm Regards,
Jamie

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We visited Syracuse overnight and we're thrilled to find this gem. Yes, it is one of the more expensive hotels in town but the location, service and extras make it worth the price. If you can find a decent price on the web, jump on it. This hotel is the same as any other they just offer you more - better service, better location, better amenities, more extras.

When we checked in, the air conditioning in our room wasn't working so they promptly changed us. The two suites we saw were large and comfortable.

The breakfast was excellent. No powdered eggs here. We also appreciated the free DVD library and complimentary popcorn. Those two things alone, coupled with separate bedroom suites make this hotel ideal for families.

The additional security measures to prevent non-guests from accessing the elevator was appreciated too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Corrin N, Manager at Jefferson Clinton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Tim W,

Thank you for being a guest with us and for your review on TripAdvisor! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you were able to check out some of the surrounding area of Armory Square, including the MoST and the Creek Walk - both family friendly activities to do while in Downtown.

Thank you again for staying with us! I hope to have you as a guest again soon!

Best Wishes,