“Good food, good service, pleasant surroundings”
Review of Anthony's Pasta Bar - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Located in downtown Syracuse, near Armory Square, amidst many others "trendy" eateries. We chose a table near the front of the restaurant, near to the open door leading to the outdoor seating. Occasional cigarette smoke would drift in through the door, so choose a table near the back if that is unpleasant to you. The food was good and the portions were huge. Fresh, warm rolls are brought to the table, along with dipping oil. Are waitress, January, was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I made reservations at Anthony's for Syracuse Dining Week. We had an 8:00 reservation on Saturday night. When we arrived, at 7:50, we were informed that it would take at least another 15 minutes to seat us. The hostess encouraged us to go the bar next door and wait, which we did. The bar next door (which is owned by Anthony's) wasn't that great. There were flies buzzing around the candles on the tables and it took a while to get a drink even though the bar was far from crowded.

At 8:30, we returned to Anthony's to try and claim our reservation, only to have the Hostess put on a dog and pony show about how she thought we were a party of ten, even though we checked in as a party of 2 and I pointed out to her that the reservation clearly said 2 on the sheet next to her. After a conversation with her manager, we were each offered free drink from the bar. Which, at that point, was acceptable.

After arriving at the bar, the bartender was ineffectual. My girlfriend asked the bartender for a recommendation for a gin drink. He ignored her and turned to another bartender and they spoke for a few minutes about going on a liquor run to a local store. I finally got his attention and order a simple gin and tonic and my girlfriend ordered a gin fizz. The gin fizz was made with Margarita mix and tasted like a college dorm room concoction.

Finally, we were shown to our table and the dining experience improved, albeit slightly. Our waitress was informed, kind, and attentive all evening. For starters, we had the Italian wedding soup and Garden Salad. The salad was nothing to write home about and the soup was lackluster at best.

Appetizers were stuffed cherry peppers in marinara sauce (which were decent) and Utica Greens (which were also decent, but smothered in oil). The freshly baked bread and hot oil were very good.

Entrees were a veal dish and chicken parm, which were both above average and had good taste--the veal dish in particular was very good. Dessert was a cannoli, which was the best part. The cream was light, delicate, and delicious, with just a hint of lemon flavor.

The atmosphere in Anthony's was very nice, especially for a date night. It wasn't too loud, and the lighting was quite romantic. Our server was very attentive and we never felt rushed.

One last word: we were there for a pre-fixe menu, so we do look forward to returning to try Anthony's again with a real menu and hopefully much better service. If the experience hasn't improved, we'd be hard pressed to go back.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Lived in the area for 10+ years but never tried this place before. Gave it a shot because I obtained a gift certificate from Restaurant.com and was very impressed. Went with my wife and teenage son. We had 6 pm reservations on a Saturday night. We were greeted at the door by very friendly staff and seated immediately. A small but delectable wine list began the experience (my wife had the Wente Reisling, I had the Prosecco). I then opted for the fixed price $25 three course menu (soup or salad, appetizer and entree). Our waitress was very knowledgeable and made excellent recommendations. I ended up having the soup of the day - a cup of the best Italian Wedding Soup I have ever tasted, which arrived at the same time as a basket of excellent homemade hand-rolled Italian sourdough rolls (served fresh from the oven, lighted flavored with garlic and served with spiced dipping oil). My wife and son kept working on the rolls while my appetizer arrived. I opted for the Utica Greens - where were claimed to be the best anywhere, and was not disappointed. For an entree, my wife and I both got the Rigatoni Tuscana, a delectable mix of perfectly cooked rigatoni, sausage, onions, roasted red peppers, spinach & eggplant in a white wine garlic sauce. Our son opted for the Margherita Pizza. Overall, the entire meal was excellent, and just the right portion size to leave a little room for a shared dessert. They offered a red velvet cheesecake, tiramisu and cannolis. We would have tried all 3, but only had enough room for one - so we shared the cannolis, which were excellent. A crispy homemade pastry shell around a light and creamy filling was a great ending. There are a lot of other things we would like to try on the menu - we will definitely be going back, and spreading the word.

In addition to the great menu and service, the atmosphere was quite pleasant, too. They have a front dining room with a bar and a more quiet and cozy rear dining room. If you are headed to downtown Syracuse to go to the skating rink or see the Christmas tree, Anthony's is right across the street and certainly worth your time to go either before or after.

1  Thank Frank M
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was the first time we have ever been there (Anthony's), according to the server it was there first night under new management. The food, service and price was excellent. Our waiter was a real pro and very attentive. The food came out at just the right time and was excellent. Based on our experience we will be back again very soon...

1  Thank Eric F
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had reservations at 730 for a party of 6. We were not seated until 845..That was just the beginning..waitress did not introduce herself and we had to ask for menues..service was extremely slow..the quality of food poor..5 of the 6 dishes were not enjoyed..pasta was watery, veal dish had 2 pieces of overcooked meat that was no wider or longer than my ring and pinky fingures but together..when we asked to speak to a manager another waiter said he would listen to our concerns..he rolled his eyes and actually turned his back to us to talk with other staff while we were complaining...he said he would help us with the bill..one member of our party ordered one beer, that was the only thing taken off the bill..we over heard staff talking about our table in a rude way.. we were told owner was cooking in the kitchen ..one from our party was ushered into the kitchen..what the owner/chef is lacking in culinary skills he is also lacking in professionalism and decency..he rudely told us if we didn't like our experience not to come back...he didn't have to tell us for we never will

3  Thank sevenelvn3