“Great Local Bar”

Cuisines: Pub
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Local Bar”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed in Syracuse and chose this bar quite simply for the beers. They had a great beer selection at great prices. My husband and I had dinner here as well.

When we first walked in there were no seats at the bar so we were seated at a table. As soon as we sat down seats at the bar opened up and we moved there because we just prefer sitting at the bar. The waitress was nice enough and had no problem with us moving.

We both got burgers for dinner. I had the cajun burger. I ordered and I was prepared to tell the waitress how I wanted it cooked, but she never asked. She never asked my husband either. I thought nothing of it again until the burgers came out. It was well-done. I don't know if this is the standard in NY, or in this area but I am just not used to this.

The burger itself was seasoned very well, I usually have a knack for finding places with underseasoned burgers so this was a nice surprise. The cheese was melty and delicious and the fries were great.

If I was able to choose the doneness of my burger this would have gotten 5 stars out of me. I would still recommend it for the beers, service and price. (My husband was perfectly happy with his burgers as he likes his more done).

• Visited April 2014

Syracuse, New York
“What Happened to J Ryans?”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

What Happened to J Ryans?

So just from the mere fact that I am writing this should tell you I am a longtime fan. I miss the place….I really do!

They used to be a great pub, with good food and some tables to rest your feet with friends.

Now, you have to get the manager to seat you, and if he feels he can pack more people in he will move you after your meal has begun. It is no longer a friendly pub, but a poorly managed restaurant. He forces the waitresses to pester you with the bill so you will get up and another group can sit down. Is the margin on food that good, that you will sacrifice loyal customers? The last two times I walked in, he tried to seat us and we walked out. I’m going to continue to complain, and see if it changes. If not, I will just move on forever.

I think you really need to look at where your sales are made, food or beverage? I can attest that my group of 10 or so regulars has moved on to another pub. Sadly!

Please go back to being a pub, and someone put a leash on the piss poor manager.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank J D
“Great bar!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I would go here often if I lived in Syracuse. I can only speak for the beer because we did not eat. However, they have 69 beers on tap and one on cask. They run great deals for beer. Last night was Victory Pilsner for $10 a pitcher. The atmosphere was great. The outdoor seating was nice. Would go often if I lived there!

• Visited July 2013
Albany, New York
“Regular food but great beer selection”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stopped by this bar for a meal before a Chiefs baseball game. We mainly went for the large selection in beer which did meet our expectations. The food was regular bar food and it was good, just nothing special. This is a great place to go to grab a unique beer and has good food.

• Visited June 2013
Buffalo, New York
“Amazing selection of beers”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The food is pretty good pub food. I love the beef on weck, deep fried pickles and chicken fingers. But their beer selection is awesome. They have 69 beers on tap and if you aren't sure about one, they'll let you try a small sample. They're always adding new and seasonal beers to try. It gets pretty crowded on Friday and Saturday nights.

Visited June 2013