“New age, hip but very comfortable and welcoming”

Hotel Skyler Syracuse, Tapestry Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The decore of this synogague-turned-hotel is hipster and modern but the rooms are comfy, well laid out and clean. The halls were quiet (we were on first floor down from lobby and bar and had been a bit worried). While we could hear the people in the room next door as they left it was the only disturbance and, then again, they were loudly chatting. Otherwise quite quiet. Beds comfy. The front desk was very helpful and i liked the secure parking lot behind the hotel. Its 2-3 blocks from Syracuse so a great place to stay if visiting the campus or hospitals. Only downside is you have to pay for coffee in the morning at the bar. I would have liked a free codfee offering and barista coffee if i wanted to pay for it. Lobby was inviting and comfy. Definitely will return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is truly the most wonderful hotel I've stayed in. Not as plush as some of the other places in Syracuse (I stop every summer on my way to New Hampshire) but utterly unique and beautiful beyond words.

I can't stand the dark decor that so many hotels seem drawn to. This is a confection of light, stained glass (reclaimed from a local church that was being demolished) and Swedish inspired decor. All of the appointments were simple, crisp, clean lines...the linens were all made of lovely organic cotton, and the sheets, drapes, and towels were of exceptional quality. What a pleasure to learn that in addition to being beautiful the hotel is committed to being eco-friendly. Somehow it was in keeping with the overall feel of the place.

The staff couldn't have been kinder or more attentive. It was a delight to spend a night here. I'm quite sincere in saying that I hesitated to write this review, because, selfishly, I want it a well-kept secret so that a room is always available. But some things are too good to keep to oneself. And given that its was once a synagogue and contains glass from a church, it seems the charitable thing to do to share the good news...

---------------
My one recommendation echoes another reviewer's: please consider adding a complimentary breakfast. There are no places within walking distance and for those getting back on the road it makes a big difference to have a breakfast on the run.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here one night on the way to Toronto to break up the long drive. Pluses were wonderfully comfortable beds and bedding, marvelous staff at check in and front desk, shuttle to their sister hotel for dinner, on site secure free parking and free wifi. Interesting new hotel in what was an old synagogue and well designed for quiet and mobility and allergy problems.

Minuses were that while we knew we needed to go out for dinner, the not included breakfast at the hotel was only either packaged stuff that needed to be microwaved or some rather not very good pastries which were available from the bar area, coffee, tea and juice. Items were not cheap but we did not have time to go to local restaurants or to sister hotel. The inclusion of hard boiled eggs, non fruit yogurts would have been nice.

Would return for the rooms and other amenities but not try to eat breakfast there.

Room Tip: Be specific about special needs e.g, allergies, quiet, etc. when reserving.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Holger
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Hotel Skyler Syracuse, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Holger,

Thank you for your positive contributions and kind words regarding our staff. We would like you to know that we also, offer breakfast sandwiches and croissants made to order at Skyler bar, as well as assorted pastries. We appreciate your suggestion for additional breakfast items. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Normally in Syracuse I am banished to the traffic circle ghetto of hotels. I'm always wary of downtown ish places when I am just passing through. I seriously could have moved in for a month. I think some of the downtown places charge for parking, but Skyler did not and it wasn't a hike from the lot to the desk. Wifi worked spectacularly and was included in the room rate. I know "free" coffe and breakfast are the norm at this level, but I really hate crappy buffet, kid pawed through breakfast so I avoid them and always feel like they are part of the room rate anyway. News flash. Nothing comes free. The coffe was absolutely fabulous. Easy to get and cost all of $2. Again - I hate free coffee. Or the coffe that comes with the makers. I generally use a French press and my own coffee and was so happy that their coffee was local and strong.

GREAT bar. I think I will move back in. Great room. Very good tv, bed, etc. I had to get up early and had not factored a breakfast detour into my time. That was a mistake. Whatever they had looked great. I will be back m

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank flyboyswifeEXETER

Dear flyboyswifeEXETER,

We are delighted to read your wonderful review. It is great to hear you enjoyed our local, organic coffee and latte’s. Thank you for being our guest. Our staff would love to accommodate you soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Really cool hotel. We did not know it was eco-friendly or anything special until we arrived. I had been on hotels.com and a few other sites to check what was in the area. Finally, I was suggested to go on hotwire since I had seen what areas the hotels were in. It worked out wonderfully, great hotel and AMAZING deal!!

The staff is super friendly, the shuttle service is just great and location (for Syracuse) is just perfect!! :)

Room Tip: The treehouse suites are expensive, but I got a really good deal thru Hotwire.. just make sure you p...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Keena M,

Thank you for the amazing review, our staff enjoyed reading it! We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the time with your family during your stay at Hotel Skyler and that you were able to see our one of a kind “Tree House Suite”. A portion of the revenue goes to Gallisano Children’s Hospital. We hope to see you and your family the next time your travels bring you to the area!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Hotel Skyler is a modern beautifully decorated hotel in a good location. Stain glass in the lobby and the high ceilings in the guest room gives the impression that you are in a very high priced hotel. It is an environmentally aware facility located near Syracuse University and many hospitals, They provide transportation to the airport, transportation center and local restaurants. It earned four stars for my visit as breakfast is not included. Coffee in the room or in the lobby at no cost would have been a plus.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sue J,

Thank you so much for the 4 star review! Please know that we do offer breakfast sandwiches, croissants, muffins, assorted pastries, local organic coffee and juice options at Skyler Bar. We would also like to introduce you to our sister hotel, the Parkview Hotel, which includes complimentary breakfast that may suit your needs better. We are excited to see you the next time you are in Syracuse!

Staff and Management

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We both love architecture and this renovated theater with modern touches made an ideal spot to to stay. Comfortable rooms, environmentally friendly and in a great location, Hotel Skyler hits the trifecta!

• Stayed: June 2013
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Hotel Skyler Syracuse, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Donna N,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Skyler and look forward to your next visit!