“Good location and comfortable property”

Hotel Skyler Syracuse, Tapestry Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was in Syracuse for five days to catch up with friends and to meet folks at the university. The hotel's location is ideal and provided complimentary parking (and internet); iot also had complimentary shuttle service to downtown. The room was larger than the "normal" hotel room (wider), had comfortable furnishings, and served my needs. I faced south so had plenty of sunlight through the large windows. The staff were friendly and accommodating. I'd certainly return to the hotel on a future visit to Syracuse. The only negatives were the location of the phone (not on the desk and not able to be moved to the desk) and that it had an odd shaped handset, and that despite having LEED Platinum certification they replaced used soap and shampoo every day. These are obviously minor issues and wouldn't prevent my returning. Of five hotels I have stayed at in Syracuse in recent years, this has been the best given my needs and tastes.

Room Tip: Have a south-facing room if possible, and based on what I saw I would avoid a room on the first floo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Hotel Skyler Syracuse, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear LAKlein,

Thank you for being our guest and for your positive comments regarding your recent stay. Please know that your input regarding the location of the phone and the change of bathroom amenities are well appreciated and shared with appropriate managers. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

To be honest, I had no idea when I booked our room that the hotel was only a few blocks away from SU. We went up in February for a Junior visit day. I had picked the hotel because we could get a "divided room" - a king bed in the main bedroom, a sleeper sofa for our teenage son on the other side (as a night owl,he needs his own space but it was definitely on the snug side and there was really no privacy). The building is actually an old synagogue which was also a theater for many years, so it had interesting angles in our top floor room - my husband just referred to it as "funky". I liked the decorating style and the beds were comfortable. I wanted some space without paying for separate rooms (hotel rooms were definitely on the high side, and we were only there for one night) - still, with taxes, it was close to $200 (and the hotel was practically empty). One of the best options was the free van shuttle service to the restaurants since there was a snowstorm in progress - the driver was prompt and courteous. And it's just a couple short blocks to Marshall Street for breakfast or lunch, and then another block to the main entrance at SU, so it's hard to get any closer. They also let us leave our car in the lot while we were at the info session, also saving us time and money, so I would definitely recommend it as an option in the Syracuse area.

Room Tip: It's definitely a bit quirky, so if you have special needs, I would definitely recommend that yo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear RetroKitch,

We are so happy to hear that the location of Hotel Skyler was very convenient for you when visiting Syracuse University. I would like to let you know for future visits, we have a very unique room type called the Tree House Suite which may suit your needs better. We wish the best luck to your son and hope to see you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The worst hotel during our trip in NY. Very expensive without free availble breakfast. You have to pay for each cup of coffee. If you stay for the WE, be carefull an store fruit sala in you romm fridge. Sunday morning there storage is empty!!!! I could not understand such greed.
Rooms are big but bathromm smal!!
Fred-from France

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear 463fredc,

We are very sorry to hear your stay was unsatisfactory. We have tried to contact you with no response. Please feel free to contact us anytime.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I appreciate the green environmentally aware building, and the waste -free atmosphere, however after staying there 3 times, I wish the front desk staff were friendlier. For some reason, they are always remote and don't smile. Also, I have asked each time for sparkling water to be made available at the small concession stand, and I was told to write that on Trip Advisor! There is no coffee maker in the room, which also seems a little stingy. It is very difficult to get a room with 2 beds, and they "have no cots"
That being said, it is a unique and unusual experience of a hotel, and I have returned there 3x. And probably will again.

2  Thank JeffLandsberg

Dear srlScarsdale_NY,

Thank you for taking time to write up a review on Tripadvisor. Please know that we appreciate your input and your comments have been shared with the appropriate managers. Unfortunately due to the Fire Department Safety Code we are not allowed to carry cots, we do however have rooms with two queen size beds or suites available with pull-out sofa beds. Please make sure to request this room type at the time of the reservation process. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you are visiting Syracuse University, this is a perfect location. It is also very close to downtown Syracuse. It was suggested that we take the shuttle but we drove and had no trouble finding parking. Parking at the hotel is free and you can roll out of bed into the lobby for a wonderful latte and some breakfast foods. The staff is very professional and knowledgeable. Our room was large (we had one with two queen beds), pristine, and the decor is chic! We would most definitely stay here again.

1  Thank QuakerTruth

Dear Georgette H,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and are excited to see you soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here with my wife and daughter for one night for our visit to see the SU campus. This well located hotel perfectly fit the bill for us. Room was comfortable and nice amenities were provided. Only complaint is that the shower was lackluster with low pressure. Our shower control was difficult to turn and difficult to use for gradual water temperature adjustments.

Room was clean and bed was comfortable. My daughter slept on the pull out sofa bed and she slept well with no complaints about comfort.

Our original room was a big room, with high vaulted ceilings and with a floating wall between the king bed and the sleep sofa. I liked the layout of this room but my wife found it claustrophobic because it only had small high windows. My daughter and I were fine with this but we decided to move to a much more conventional room with a large window. I'd still recommend the original larger room if traveling with someone who'll use the sleep sofa.

All in all a great choice.

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic and need an eye level window you can see out of let the hotel know at chec...

Dear travellingfoolDC,

Thank you for the great comments regarding your stay. Please know that we have informed our Engineering Team to take a look at the shower pressure to rectify the issue. We are happy to know our staff was able to help you with your accommodations and because of the unique style of the building every room looks and feels different such variations include ceiling to floor windows, half-moon style windows and high vaulted ceilings. We wish the best of luck to your daughter and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the Skyler for 2 nights, and we were thoroughly impressed. Its a small boutique hotel in a heritage building. Clean, new and unique rooms. Hotel staff very friendly and accommodating. Great little bar area. Shuttle to go anywhere you want for free. The only thing missing was a restaurant for breakfast, but we understand that is in the works.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MandGW,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.