“Excellent food in a relaxing, comfortable environment.”
Review of Sparky Town - CLOSED

Sparky Town
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Albany, New York
“Excellent food in a relaxing, comfortable environment.”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The ambiance in Sparky Town is very relaxing. They play wonderful music and the waitstaff are all cordial and convivial and very up and food knowledge. Our dinners were excellent and very affordable as well. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2011

Syracuse, NY
“Unique experience with fresh, healthy & vegan options”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Sparkytown is a charming small restaurant with a great eclectic and artsy vibe. It's not high-falutin' but down to earth, with a menu to match. The brick-walled dining area displays an ever-changing gallery of art, and the patrons are a mix of business-suited types and artistic folk. This was my go-to place for lunch during my vegan days -- and there's several choices for vegans and often a vegan dessert. Sparky, the owner and chef, often comes into the dining area to say hello and make sure all is well. Great sandwiches, fresh delicious salads, and dishes that are health-conscious using carefully prepared ingredients. If you want a sense of the lively arts community that borders the Hawley Green neighborhood, come to Sparkytown and enjoy the space as much as the food.

• Visited April 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Sparkytown got us amped”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Great food! Me, my wife and our two pals had lunch at Sparkytown before hitting the road up to the Finger Lakes. I'm a carnivore and the others with me are all vegetarians. Sparkytown had food for all of us, and everyone lovvvved their food. My wife had the vegan chili which she loved and I thought was very tasty. I had the burger and it was juicy and the bread was great as well. I can't remember what our pals had but they loved their food as well. Also, everyone but me had some amazing iced chocolate coffee drink, which they all raved about. Sparky herself came to the table several times to make sure we had what we needed and that the food was good. The food was great, the portions were generous, and the ambiance in the restaurant was fun and creative. Overall, a great way to start our afternoon trip upstate.

• Visited July 2011
Upstate ny
“Extremely enjoyable and FRESH !!”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This was a first visit for me and my daughter and what a great first impression!

We went for lunch- I ordered from the specials menu and my daughter from the regular Lunch menu. We were served ice water in stemware upon being seated- thank you- it is nice not having to ask for it. I ordered the tomatoe and cheese quich with a simple and lovely side salad. My daughter had a turkey, cheddar, and apple panini with a small cup of fresh, homemade chicken soup with spinach. Everything was fresh and delicious!!!!!The food was made to order so the little extra wait time was fine with us. To end our perfect little meal we ordered a HUGE choc-o chip cookie that was still a little warm. The meal was reasonable and everyone was super friendly.
I will be back! Definatley a hidden treasure!

• Visited June 2011
Skaneateles, New York
“Setting, service and food. A hidden gem.”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Sparkytown is close enough to downtown to be easy to get to but you have to know where to find it. It's not in a strip of restaurants or stores. It's nestled into a historic building near an abandon train station.

Parking can be tricky as the area isn't set up for retail. Parking is on the street but it's free so no biggie in my mind.

The dining room is decorated in a deco kind of theme with warm touches like an upright piano and great artwork fro local artists. Adriana Meiss was the artists when I was there and her work was soft and very skilled landscapes and natural scenes. Beautiful work.

The words I would use to describe the place are hip, speak easy (although no booze, bummer) , secluded, romantic, mellow, deco, artsy, urban, warm, alternative lifestyle friendly, reasonable, and health aware.

It's an intimate place which suits it perfectly as the staff are very friendly and warm and the cook (who I think is actually Sparky herself) waves hi from the kitchen as you pass it to go to the dining room. It feels like a secret little place taken out of time where you might see Igmar Bergman walk through the door for a light pastry and coffee.

Now for the real treat...the menu is great! I am a very picky eater and I try to eat organic whole foods whenever possible. I also limit red meats. It's a challenge for me to eat out usually because I always end up being "that guy" who asks the server a million questions about the food (is there white flour in that? is that cooked in olive oil? etc). This place has a menu that I could eat from start to finish. Fresh produce, local cheeses, no proceeded or overly refined foods and great flavors. I had the spring greens with sauted vegetables and a side of the vegetarian chili on this trip and my friend had the Artie which was a panini with ham, roasted red paper spread, on whole wheat. I avoid sandwiches when I eat out because they never have ezekiel which is the only bread I eat and guess what, they had it so on my next visit, I'm getting a sandwich.

My dinner was fresh and delicious. Every order coming out of the kitchen was individually prepared to order from scratch which for anyone who knows about commercial kitchens is a rarity and special treat.

Sparky (I think it was Sparky but she didn't introduce herself so I'm not sure) came out from the kitchen and spoke with us and a couple other guests personally to see if they enjoyed their dinner. You never see that anymore. Wonderful.

In a nutshell, I can't say enough about this place but be prepared to wrestle with the parking thing and the neighborhood seems a little sketchy but it was dark when we went. Could be much better in the daytime. It's surrounded by nice neighborhoods so it can't be that bad. I think it's just the big ugly empty train station that makes it look worse than it is.

If you are in Syracuse, find this place. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2010