“Awesome Food and Atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #430 of 681 Restaurants in Syracuse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Thompson & Midler
“Awesome Food and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Good: We are big fans of Koto Steakhouse. Food is absolutely delicious! We have been there several times, and both times we opted not to sit at the grill (because I didn't want food thrown at me lol) but it looks like a lot of fun. Service was great and we like that they take reservations. Several times the manager asked if we needed another round (our waitress was already on it) but I like that level of service. Did I mention the food was fantastic! We will definitely do again.

The Bad: Koto's is an upscale restaurant (not an applebee's). Our bill came to $60+ per person (over $250 for all 4 of us) which I'm perfectly fine with.. BUT Why on earth do they do the silly Birthday singing and clapping? ITS SO ANNOYING to have a whole group of waiters/waitresses in close proximity to your table singing and clapping while you are trying to dine! Like I said, I expect that at an Applebees, not a classy restaurant. It was especially annoying after the 3rd time (seemed like eveyone in the joint was there for a birthday). Also, when the hibashi cooks do a drum solo by banging his spatula's on the grill, it's REALLY loud and distracting. I'm there for a classy dinner with my wife and friends, not to listen to that racket! Also very annoying!! Therefore I deducted 1 star. We will still be back!

• Visited January 2014

Memphis, Tennessee
“awful customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Despite being an active tripadvisor user for reviews, this is the first time I have felt strongly enough to submit a review. I chose this sushi restaurant on an overnight business trip to Syracuse based on on the happy hour menu. I was shocked when I got my bill without any of the happy hour prices included. Apparently the promotion is only in the bar area, however I was not told about this during my seating. When the manager arrived to discuss the situation, he was very unsympathetic to the misunderstanding. He only slightly adjusted my bill after much hassling, which made me very uncomfortable to have to pressure him into such a resolution. It was truly one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had knowing this was simply a misunderstanding and he had the ability to easily correct the situation. That being said, the sushi was fine (nothing to write home about) and my sever was very attentive and helpful.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good food, excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I came in with a large group for some sushi and hibachi. They have a HUGE menu, but the waitress did a good job of explaining the options in a fairly understandable manner. The hibachi chef put on the predictable show that you see in many Japanese steakhouses and the food was predictably good (including the sushi which was excellent).

The waitress handled a very large party (~15) with ease and did a great job. Everyone was very friendly and was quick to answer questions and provide service. Would recommend.

• Visited October 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Solid and dependable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate here and did not sit at the grill. I would advise sitting at the grill- you might as well her a show with your food. The food was good, not great. Service was very good. Worth the trip.

• Visited June 2013
Middletown, New York
“Graduation Celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

4 of us went out to dinner to celebrate a graduation. Not being from the area I relied on Tripadvisor for help finding a "nice place" The food was fantastic. Fresh and cooked perfectly. We did have some sushi plates that were ocean fresh. I had the crispy duck which was wonderful. One of my companions had the filet migon from the Hibachi kitchen that he said melted in his mouth. Our server needed a little more training or help since he forgot one of the starters and served it later with the main meal but that wasn't a big issue. We were not rushed with the meal and since we were drinking soda our glasses were refilled several times. Total of our bill came to $125.00 with 4 starters (3 sushi, 1 salad) 4 meals and sodas. I would go back again.

• Visited June 2013