“Graduation Celebration”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Thompson & Midler
Reviewed June 7, 2013

4 of us went out to dinner to celebrate a graduation. Not being from the area I relied on Tripadvisor for help finding a "nice place" The food was fantastic. Fresh and cooked perfectly. We did have some sushi plates that were ocean fresh. I had the crispy duck which was wonderful. One of my companions had the filet migon from the Hibachi kitchen that he said melted in his mouth. Our server needed a little more training or help since he forgot one of the starters and served it later with the main meal but that wasn't a big issue. We were not rushed with the meal and since we were drinking soda our glasses were refilled several times. Total of our bill came to $125.00 with 4 starters (3 sushi, 1 salad) 4 meals and sodas. I would go back again.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I like my Hibachi/Sushi places. This place is another reason why. The sushi is always fresh and delicious (some different specialy rolls also) and the hibachi food was great as well. I got the filet and it was tender as could be. Definately reccomend

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is not my 1st time eating at Koto Japanese Steakhouse. It was a good friend of mines birthday on 4-7-13 and we all meet up there. The food was delicious and the chef was awesome. The food was fresh and cooked right on the grill in front of you. Koto's is a very elegant restaurant and reasonable in price. The drinks are very good. I would recommend anyone to eat their it's just not a sushi bar they have a different vary of food.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you've never been to a hibachi-style Japanese steakhouse before, I recommend that you give it a try. As with most restaurants of this type, the food at Koto is cooked by a chef on a grill right in front of you, providing an entertaining show to go along with some very tasty food. The chef (most of them are Japanese) prepares the meals with a bit of playful showmanship involving airborne food, bursts of flame, and a trick or two. This makes for a good time for families, as the kids will enjoy watching as much as the adults.

But it's not all show; the chefs do a superb job of preparing and serving the food. My wife's chicken and my steak were perfect. The meal is well-rounded, too, as soup or salad precedes the hibachi cooking, and the meat is accompanied by a couple of shrimp, rice, and vegetables that are as good as I've had anywhere. The portions are a good size and satisfying.

Tip: The Syracuse Post Standard frequently has a Koto coupon good for $10 off on a $50 purchase (but not good on certain days). If there are just two of you, and if you don't order drinks or dessert (we often don't), you won't meet the $50 minimum. However, you could easily be over $40, and ordering dessert can put you over the top. In our case, the math worked out so that our total check went down about a dollar by ordering desserts and qualifying to use the coupon.

The desserts we ordered were tempura cheesecake and tempura ice cream. It really amounted to fried cheesecake and fried ice cream, with coatings that weren't like what you might expect with traditional Japanese tempura. But they were good anyway.

We did not try the sushi so we can't comment on it. At the hibachi tables, if your group is small, there's a good chance that other diners you don't know will be seated with you. We have found that this can enhance the experience, rather than detract from it. But the restaurant also offers regular (non-hibachi) table service if you prefer a more private meal, or would like to try menu items that are not prepared on the hibachi.

Oh, one other thing. Those who have been to or are considering Ichiban, the other popular Japanese steakhouse in the Syracuse area, might ask which is better. I'd say that there is no clear winner, and it's a matter of personal preference. Both are excellent, the hibachi meals are a little bit different relative to vegetables and sides but very similar for the meats, and I will return to both of them now and then.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

nothing beats the happy hour specials at this sushi restaurant. half price sushi, apps, wine and beer. the food is fresh and well prepared. the rock shrimp is an awesome app for starters. the bar tenders have great personalities unless it gets super busy at the bar. they get overwhelmed a bit and may ignore you.....but it's not their fault....management should step in and assist...but they don't. the only complaint I have is I usually will not be able to get seats cause a lot of the employees and even some managers would sit at the bar for their food specials.....that should not be allowed especially since its a pretty small bar area and is usually very packed