“Birthday Gathering. Takiki B.”
Review of Koto Japanese Steakhouse - CLOSED

Koto Japanese Steakhouse
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Thompson & Midler
Syracuse, New York
“Birthday Gathering. Takiki B.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is not my 1st time eating at Koto Japanese Steakhouse. It was a good friend of mines birthday on 4-7-13 and we all meet up there. The food was delicious and the chef was awesome. The food was fresh and cooked right on the grill in front of you. Koto's is a very elegant restaurant and reasonable in price. The drinks are very good. I would recommend anyone to eat their it's just not a sushi bar they have a different vary of food.

• Visited April 2013

DeWitt, New York
“Excellent food cooked as you watch”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you've never been to a hibachi-style Japanese steakhouse before, I recommend that you give it a try. As with most restaurants of this type, the food at Koto is cooked by a chef on a grill right in front of you, providing an entertaining show to go along with some very tasty food. The chef (most of them are Japanese) prepares the meals with a bit of playful showmanship involving airborne food, bursts of flame, and a trick or two. This makes for a good time for families, as the kids will enjoy watching as much as the adults.

But it's not all show; the chefs do a superb job of preparing and serving the food. My wife's chicken and my steak were perfect. The meal is well-rounded, too, as soup or salad precedes the hibachi cooking, and the meat is accompanied by a couple of shrimp, rice, and vegetables that are as good as I've had anywhere. The portions are a good size and satisfying.

Tip: The Syracuse Post Standard frequently has a Koto coupon good for $10 off on a $50 purchase (but not good on certain days). If there are just two of you, and if you don't order drinks or dessert (we often don't), you won't meet the $50 minimum. However, you could easily be over $40, and ordering dessert can put you over the top. In our case, the math worked out so that our total check went down about a dollar by ordering desserts and qualifying to use the coupon.

The desserts we ordered were tempura cheesecake and tempura ice cream. It really amounted to fried cheesecake and fried ice cream, with coatings that weren't like what you might expect with traditional Japanese tempura. But they were good anyway.

We did not try the sushi so we can't comment on it. At the hibachi tables, if your group is small, there's a good chance that other diners you don't know will be seated with you. We have found that this can enhance the experience, rather than detract from it. But the restaurant also offers regular (non-hibachi) table service if you prefer a more private meal, or would like to try menu items that are not prepared on the hibachi.

Oh, one other thing. Those who have been to or are considering Ichiban, the other popular Japanese steakhouse in the Syracuse area, might ask which is better. I'd say that there is no clear winner, and it's a matter of personal preference. Both are excellent, the hibachi meals are a little bit different relative to vegetables and sides but very similar for the meats, and I will return to both of them now and then.

• Visited January 2013
Amsterdam, New York, United States
“great fresh sushi awesome happy hour”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

nothing beats the happy hour specials at this sushi restaurant. half price sushi, apps, wine and beer. the food is fresh and well prepared. the rock shrimp is an awesome app for starters. the bar tenders have great personalities unless it gets super busy at the bar. they get overwhelmed a bit and may ignore you.....but it's not their fault....management should step in and assist...but they don't. the only complaint I have is I usually will not be able to get seats cause a lot of the employees and even some managers would sit at the bar for their food specials.....that should not be allowed especially since its a pretty small bar area and is usually very packed

• Visited November 2012
New York City, New York
“Koto at Destiny USA”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have frequented the Destiny USA location with friends during their happy hour food specials and the food is excellent. The wait staff however need to communicate a little better with one another and at times can be quite rude. On my recent visit I was told by my waiter that I could sit anywhere in the bar area (including the tables next to the bar). I am disabled and have a very hard time with bar stools so I sat at the table he suggested. I hadn't been seated more than a half minute when a rude hostess came over and told me I would have to sit elsewhere. I explained to her that the waiter himself had sat me there. She gave me a snotty look and walked away.
The food is excellent and prices for happy hour cannot be beaten. Some of the platters are 1.75 and nothing was over 5.00. It is an excellent value and a good environment in comfortable settings. Once you are finished eating you can do some shopping or catch a movie so the location is also phenomenal. The sushi is fresh and there is complimentary hot tea.

• Visited November 2012
Syracuse, New York
“Like this place”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We just recently started to go to this Erie Blvd location of Koto. I am rather baffled by some of the negative experiences reported by other reviewers. Apparently the management has left some with the feeling that they will never want to go back. However, we have been here three times in a couple of months. We had the hibachi dinner twice and dining room once. All three times we were very pleased with our meals and the service. When we sat at the hibachi tables, we had four people the first time and six during the second visit. Service was very good. The chefs did differ in their level of friendliness. That makes a big difference if the chef appears to enjoy what he is doing. Bottom line, delicious chicken, fillet, lobster, and scallops. Will return again as soon as I can manage it.

• Visited October 2012