“Not Good” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Watertown, NY
“Not Good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Inn at the Fairgrounds for one night in November 2012. I’m glad one night was all it was!

We were “greeted” (if you can call it that) by a young, blond, unfriendly young woman who didn’t look us in the eye. No name tag (an increasing pet peeve at hotels). Check in took longer than I’m accustomed to, because when she asked the two housekeeping ladies whether my room had been cleaned, they began bickering amongst themselves whether it was clean or not! They concluded it was ready. HOWEVER, (and this was a little past the 3PM check-in time), they were still vacuuming it when we attempted to get in.

Our room featured two beds, nightstand, table (not a desk but a generic table, mind you) a couple of chairs, chest of drawers, a Toshiba flat screen TV, and a small refrigerator. There was a coffee maker WITH NO POT, an ironing board with two irons, because the one attached to the board DIDN’T WORK. I thought the desk lamp didn’t work, either, but actually, it was the wall outlet that was faulty. Also, there was no trace of the customary plastic laundry bag that normally is found in the closet. Had trouble with their wireless service. The customer service rep was awesome, and I did eventually get online.

It should be noted that the toilet seat was dirty. Looked like #2 smeared on it!

I tried to call the front desk TWICE from the room phone, and neither time did they pick up!

There are no vending machines in this establishment. The lady (not the blonde; an older, more apologetic woman) told me, “they took them out of here last year, and never explained why.” Sodas were available in the sundry shop at an inflated price of $2 a bottle.

Free breakfast was mostly continental, with cereals, fruit, muffins, bread, bagels, etc., with additional options of (previously frozen) egg patties and sausage patties.

Cost, with taxes, was just over $100.

Beds were comfortable. Bedding was clean, but there was dust on the dresser on which the TV rested. I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to a friend, unless they were desperate and cash-strapped.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

After reading some mixed reviews, I decided to take a chance with this hotel and I have to say, I'm happy I did. I planned a 3 day trip to Syracuse and with the help of my trusty GPS, found the place easily. It was pretty convenient since it was right off 690. Even though it was really close to the highway, there was no noise from it at all. the surroundings are a bit lackluster, I didn't book the hotel based on its boring surroundings.

The lobby was pretty bright and clean and the receptionist who checked me in was prompt and friendly. What more can you ask for? When I got up to my room, despite booking a non-smoking room, there was a bit of a smokey smell right by the door. And the smell lingered even to my last day there. Other than that, I loved the room. The design wasn't outdated like some other hotels.There was plenty of space and everything was organized. The heater/AC combo was quiet when on and whether I wanted the room cool or warm, it was quick. The room even had these dual curtains. One allowed natural light into the room and the other blocked out the light so that was pretty nice. And good news for light sleepers! It was so quiet. If I didn't see other cars there, I would think no one else occupied the other rooms. The best part: It was clean and came with more than enough pillows!

I didn't get up for the breakfast or order from Daniella's so no comment on that. Not sure if this happened to anyone else but I was moving my bags into the car when I got locked out of the room the day I was leaving. So I'm just guessing that the cards automatically get disabled the day you're checking out? Weird. The front desk was empty but someone came immediately when I rung the bell and it was quick fix. Personally, I don't need someone to be there 24/7, just someone to come help when I needed. Before I left, I found out that staff that goes around cleaning the rooms are so polite and friendly! They don't rush you to leave right away and let you take your time. Rung the bell again and the receptionist was very helpful in checking me out. She even engaged in some small talk with me.

All in all, I really like the hotel and would definitely come back to this on my next trip to Syracuse.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Amy C
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed for 1 night, October 27-28. Reserved one room with Hotwire at the nightly rate of $66 USD. This was not the hotel I was expecting, as I was hoping to get the Best Western Liverpool Grace Inn & Suites. However, we weren't planning on going downtown anyway and the price was still good.

We arrived at the hotel at 4:30 p.m. and were surprised to learn that it was sold out for the night. However, there was a birthday party being held at the hotel, and the breakfast room was nicely decorated for a dinner that night.

Our room (206) had two queen beds, corner table, desk, dresser, flat screen TV, mini refrigerator and single-cup coffee maker. The room was quite spacious, and everything was very clean. The heating unit in the room was quiet, and it warmed up the room quickly. We could see the highway in the distance from our room, but there were never any noise issues.

The bathroom had a large mirror and counter along with a good-sized bathtub. There was also a heat lamp with a timer that was quite enjoyable to use. However, the only toiletries supplied were one bar of soap and one bottle of lotion. We tried to flag down someone to give us extra soap and some shampoo, but instead we located the housekeeping cart and grabbed some ourselves.

Later, we thought that our coffee maker didn't work so we called the front desk for a replacement. The person there told us that no replacements were available without consulting anyone else and that we could get coffee in the breakfast room instead. After checking the coffee maker again, we found out that it was the outlet that wasn't functional so we moved the machine to the work desk.

There is one free Internet terminal on the ground floor (near the hotel restaurant) and a small workout room in the opposite wing with a treadmill, elliptical machine, stationary bike and rowing machine. Throughout the hotel, there is free wireless Internet access.

Near the front entrance is the breakfast room with a good supply of coffee, juice, cereal, bread, bagels, mini muffins, apples and oranges. The mini waffle machine is a bonus, as are the sausage and egg patties. While we were in line though, the egg tray was taken away only to never return.

While in Syracuse, we went to the Destiny USA mall which is adding a fourth level to become the 5th-largest shopping center in the nation. Also, we visited the Waterloo Premium Outlets (45 minutes away) and took advantage of some good deals there.

I enjoyed my stay at the Inn at the Fairgrounds. For the price and the room, the hotel was quite satisfactory but some acknowledgement from the staff could have made for a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smokedmeat
RI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Perfect for the business traveler. No extra bells & whistles, but clean, adequately equipped, attentive staff, and the Italian restaurant attached to it is a MUST! Their complimentary breakfast was similar to what you find in a Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Not really a 'pretty' area, so there really isn't any optimum 'view'. The hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Westchester County, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is close to major highways and the NYS Fairgrounds, yet the rooms and atmosphere do not reflect this. The onsite restaurant, Daniella's, is really good - hardly a reason to leave the hotel. The lobby is well furnished, clean and bright. The front desk staff warm, friendly and professional. Our room was clean, well-appointed and quiet. The bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not next to the lobby and one that isn't ADA compliant unles you need tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Very close to the Fairgrounds, but the staff isn't very nice and someone lifted my daughter's laptop which she accidently left behind in our room, after we checked out. In addtion, we had a toilet malfunction in the wee hours of the morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family