“Not Worth Going to”

Cuisines: American
Rochester, NY
“Not Worth Going to”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Visited a few years ago and didn't like it--went back to give it a second chance. Still do not understand why there is frequently a line out the door. Service only ok--food over-priced and mediocre at best. One of us ordered a pasta with garlic sauce--nothing came with it--she had to pay $6 something extra for a salad of iceberg lettuce and a couple cherry tomatoes. Fries were overcooked. Shrimp dinner had a total of six medium sized shrimp. Don't go----

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank AntiqueTraveler

Skaneateles, New York
“Lost it's Mojo”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I used to eat here years ago the first time I lived in CNY, They had a great reputation for having amazing pies and seafood. It was well earned and I talked them up on many occasion.

However, I likely won't come back. I just visited last weekend with my son, his girlfriend and my mother to see if it had changed. I was really looking forward to the cream pies I remembered.

The interior was typical family style with booths and tables, vinyl tablecloths and outdated lighting. It had not changed since the early 90's which was encouraging and the case in the front of the restaurant was full of huge cream pies just as it always was. Don't drink the kool-aid. The pies are window dressing. They aren't really for eating...or at least they shouldn't be. more on that in a sec.

I had the grape salad which was a new addition to the menu. It was good. nuts and grapes on a bed of lettuce with a delicious vinegar dressing. The lettuce was a little old but not anything that left me cold. I asked if the iced tea was home-made. Nope. The lemon-aid...nada. Oh well. I had water.

After dinner I had the pineapple cream pie. It was a huge piece and the cream topping was at least 4 inches thick. Looked great. Tasted like bearing grease. The topping was cheap powdered mix and it tasted like motor oil whipped into a warm lather. Blechk! Di---scuss---ting.

My son had the lemon meringue pie which wasn't bad (I tasted his. He just LOVES it when I do that).

Prices were high for what you got. I also was a little annoyed with all the gift shop garbage. Hats and t-shirts and stuff. I just think that kind of stuff cheapens a place unless it's the kind of place that has a hook (like Dinosaur BB-Q or the like).

The service was nice and prompt and the server actually got a kick out of my whining about the pie. That was fun but still, she didn't call anyone over or take it off the bill. I guess the chuckles are worth a couple points though.

If someone tells you that you have to visit Eddies because it's awesome, ask them when the last time they were there was. I suspect it was at least a few years.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank kbl42
“a kitchen nightmare”
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

overpriced low quality food.. I ordered the giant sausage sandwich. the sauce was hot and the sausage was undercooked. I sent it back and they returned with same this time microwaved. they really should change the deep fryer oil. go to MC Donald s at least the lousy food is priced right.

3 Thank cnymikew
Skaneateles, New York
“Come in and sit down if you want to ruin a perfectly good day.”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

As previously mentioned there is nothing appetizing on this menu. Shame on us for not walking back out the door after sitting down to a dirty table and waiting several minutes for any service. My husband had the famous hot ham sandwich, which is some deli ham soaked in hot sauce. I ordered the egg sandwich as I nothing on this menu caught my eye. My english muffin came drenched in butter with a fried (green) egg as big as the plate. We really cannot figure out what made the egg green. Needless to say we will never be back and hopefully some will read trip advisor before visiting.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank amy F
Sherrill, New York
“Dont wait go somewhere else”
Reviewed June 28, 2012