“Lobster Tail”

Dining options: Reservations
Parish, New York
“Lobster Tail”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Captain John;s servers the best lobster tails. I have had the one pound tail several times and I have always enjoyed it. Its the place to go for lobster tails.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Mitchell R

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Fish Kitsch”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My travel companion and I stopped in recently on a trip home from Buffalo to Saratoga Springs. It was roughly 6 PM and other than a couple of folks at the bar, we were the only party in the restaurant. (Maybe that should have told the tale?) First of all, if you don’t like kitsch, pass this place right on by. I was amazed by the amount of (disjointed) beach/ocean/sailing/pirate decorations that they have on display. I didn’t really mind it except some of seemed pretty shop-worn and dirty. There’s a “ship” in the dining room that is just LOADED w/all kinds of ads for drinks, assorted glasses and . . . I don’t know what. Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley and various other “Caribbean” music played. Our server was super – friendly and efficient, which was a welcome plus. There was some literature on the table referring booking vacations, which I really didn’t understand. Maybe they are a travel agency as well? Anyway, the booklets were NASTY DIRTY. The ladies room is in need of an update; the hand dryer is downright SCARY! To the food: I ordered broiled haddock which while tasty, I am fairly certain it was in fact, tilapia. (Also on the menu.) Companion ordered fried scallops, which he said were “I think they were lake scallops. More breading than scallop. Kind of like a hushpuppy.” Dinners come with one side (vegetable OR starch) and salad is extra. My dinner was $15 and his was $20. I waivered back and forth between rating it "poor" and "average". I really hate to think this is the "average" place; the service bumped it from "poor".

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank 12866BornandBred
Syracuse, New York
“Key West meets Sylvan Beach”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Captain John's reminds me of a bar in Key West or Key Largo. It you can get past the decor, it's a decent restaurant although somewhat disappointing in 2012 so they get only 3 stars instead of the 4 they would have gotten last year. I don't know if they have a new chef or what but the food is just not quite what it was in 2011.

Prices are higher here than other places in the Beach but servings are big so think of the price as being two meals not just one. Beware the specialty drinks as they are pricey and your server will push them hard as well as the dessert tray.

One of my favorites has been the coconut shrimp but it was very disappointing last visit so I'll suggest the prime rib and the Peasant Chicken as both are solid choices. If you want the prime rib, ask if they have the "burnt ends" available. Even though I usually like my prime rib rare to medium rare, the crunchy, crispy burnt ends are a great change of pace.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank NapaWineLover
Endwell, New York
“Excellent service”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I wanted to grab something to eat after being on the beach. We read the reviews and chose Captain John's. Even before we opened the door, we were greeted by a server with a great personality and smile. She took us to our table right away (The Love Boat). I got a Bahama Mama which was delicious. My husband and I both had seafood bisque and a dish with lobster, shrimp, and scallops in a creamy cheese sauce. The food was average, I really wanted to give a better review because everything else about the restaurant was great. I'm a snob when it comes to seafood and it just wasn't amazing. The atmosphere was nice and I enjoyed the "tropical music" which reminded me of my honeymoon. I would come back to eat here if I'm ever in the area again and I would try another dish.

• Visited August 2012
Rome, NY
“Great Place”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Good service, food & scenery the staff was very polite, food was great weekly/ nightly specials to choose from. The scenery was great, a wide range of beverages to choose from.