“Very good meal for the price”

Captain John's Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 18 Restaurants in Sylvan Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Coxsackie, New York
“Very good meal for the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Had a very nice friendly waitress. Prime rib and lobster special was a value for the price. Very satisfied

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Linda W

Salt Point, New York
“Wish it were closer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We went to Sylvan Beach one evening on our trip and my daughter decided on this restaurant. It was wonderful. Some items were pricey (dinner $18-$30) well worth it. Abundance of food. We had an appetizer & had leftovers. Our waitress was friendly & made sure we had everything we needed. I had the best Bahama Mama I ever had.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank tripadvise01
Yorkville, New York
“Best Dinner Ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I just wanted to tell you what an amazing meal my husband and I had on Friday night... It was just flawless from the moment we walked in all the way through until desert (which we took home) 5 stars to your chef and Holly our server was number 1!!! Hold on to her. I was the owner of a restuarant for 15 years here in Utica and I know the importance of a great chef and especially a great server.... Just wanted to let you know we couldn't have picked a better place to celebrate our anniversary!! You will be seeing alot of us!!! And we plan on celebrating our anniversary at Captain John's every year to come!!! We went to Mexico for our honeymoon and the atmosphere of your restuarant made us feel like we were back there.... Thank you so much for a flavorful and most memorable evening!!

Sincerely yours,
Michelle & Ray Baker

• Visited July 2012
new york
“Wow! I wish this restaurant was in my hometown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

When we walked in I felt like I was in the Florida keys. The atmosphere is amazing and the food is even better. We were a party of six and everyone agreed the food was great. The lobster fritters were fluffy and came with a wasabi/sourcream type sauce. They reminded me of conch fritters but better. Steaks were melt in your mouth. We will definetly go back.

• Visited July 2012
Utica, New York
“Save your money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Ok, we went on a Sunday....had lobster tail and rib. The tails were very tasty, the rib peppery and average. Very thin piece ...again, not bad, but average. They at first wanted us to sit in a booth for two that was way too small (and we're not huge people) so we did ask for a more comfortable seat as the place was nearly empty.
The real downer is that the environment takes "ship board tacky" to a whole 'nother level....and the owner must own a travel company since there were sales books on every table and at the entry about tropical vacations.
Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm not a fan of plastic/souvenier cups, loud noises when a specialty drink is ordered, and at the end having paid over $100 on dinner for two feeling like I'd left some kind of kiddie attraction.
Sorry, just not a fan.