“Pork fat covered Popcorn!!”
Review of Salt and Fat - CLOSED

Salt and Fat
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place was absolutely fantastic! I would go back right now if I wasn't so stuffed!

I went with a friend who had never been either and when we first looked at the menu we were both a little hesitant. There were a few things there that we'd never tried or even heard of. But thanks to the wonder server we had, we persevered.

Per our server's suggestion, we tried the oxtail and OMG it was to die for! It was flavorful and delicious, over a bed of mushrooms. Yum! For someone going here, this is a must try. I was lucky, my friend was pretty full by the time this came out, so I got to enjoy most of it! Next time I get this, no way am I sharing!

We also had the fried chicken. This plate is larger than most with 4 pieces of chicken. And it was great. The meat was tender and delicious.

We enjoyed the Korean bbq hanger steak wraps and our pork belly. Both were good but not must haves like the above.

Last, but not least, we had the ice cream and gelato. YUM! The watermelon, I think gelato, was great. My friend loved the apple miso ice cream! And the one with green tea was fantastic.

As for decor, it's a pretty little restaurant. It was pack the whole time we were there. We were just lucky to get in when we did cause we got the last available table. The service was great; they checked in all the time to see if we were ok.

I can't wait to go back!!!!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Right off the 7 train around 40th, this small tapas restaurant was excellent! Our waiter was honest about which dishes were better than others, and did not steer us wrong.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Salt and Fat is a great discovery. Its right over the 59th St bridge in Sunnyside. This is a neighborhood of wonderful, little known, restaurants, and Salt and Fat is among the best. The restaurant offers small dishes of exotic and surprising (and wonderful) tastes with an asian fusion attitude - fabulous pork belly, wonderful pork trotter, lobster, BLT buns, Korean BBQ, shaved pate with citrus. The service was very good, the atmosphere kind of bland, but remember, we are here for the food. Don't miss the chance to go.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

This high end casual spot in Sunnyside Queens (10 mins from Manhattan on 7 train) lived up to its great review and our high expectations. The service was attentive, friendly and very well coordinated. Our favorites dishes: Korean BBQ Wraps, BLT Buns, Mussels (amazing lobster broth, ask for more bread to soak it up) and Lobster w/tomatoes and parmaesan. These are small dishes meant for sharing...think of Tapas with an Asian twist. The table next to us ordered the Fried Chicken and it looked amazing. I think that will be on the agenda for a return visit.

Salt and Fat is dinner only, and closed on Mondays.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Got confused at first with the name, but was surprised when i had a look at the menu.
It offers different kind of starters (from 10 - 15$ if i remember well).
At the time, i had the lobster salad with citrus (It was good, but not breathtaking) and the scallops with truffle corn and carrot puree! this was definitely my favorite dish. Could have eaten more.
For dessert, i had a lychee panna cotta with yuzu ice cream.
When you ask the bill, they come with a "yakult" drink. Coming from Europe, it was kind of odd for us to offer us a probiotic like-milk at the end of meal, but it was something different and that i will remember for sure.
regarding the rest, the decoration was nice, very simplistic but enough to make it nice and cosy. Regarding the staff, some of them were really competent, others weren't. Maybe the girl was new and couldn't tell us what some of the ingredients were.
All these words to say that you should go!