“great food, warm atmosphere.”
Review of The Barnsider Tavern - CLOSED

The Barnsider Tavern
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We eat here about once a month, and we are always greeted by name. The service is friendly, and we especially like having dinner by the fireplace in the rennovated upstairs dining room. its cozy and the food is really good. The downstairs dining room has a great view of the craft village, and the entrance has a large display case showing some of the works of the local craftpeople.

6  Thank humph2

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I went to this place recently on the way back from picking apples in Warwick. I didn't want to go in because it looked dark from the outside and it was a beautiful fall day, but we went anyway. I have never been so depressed in any restaurant / bar. Upstairs is like an old worn attic and downstairs is like a freezing cold dark crypt. The servers are slow and have little care to please the customers. The worst part of this place is the food - truly awful. Everything we ordered was awful.... deep fried so much you could not tell what was supposed to be under the coating. Like zucchini sticks that were nothing but hard, dry clumps of breading. The nachos had some kind of fake cheese that didn't melt and some dry crumpled meat. These were the worst excuse for nachos I have ever seen. And to top it off, less than an hour later, I was under a blanket with severe stomach pains and then sick for days. Do not bother with this place, keep driving right past it. It is an awful place in a cute village.

23  Thank fluffyges
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This used to be the place you should go. Now it is just a burger joint (both of our orders were wrong) that serves Pepsi. For some atmosphere the bar is your best bet.
Upstairs is to bright no personality and has a diner feel not an escape to the country.

21  Thank TTTravelers1
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a lovely stay in Sugar Loaf and was recommended to go where the locals go. The Barnsider Tavern was the perfect place to relax and grab a great burger. We actually ended up going twice over the weekend and both visits did not disappoint. Each time, we were greeted by someone behind the bar and then by whomever seated us. All the staff were very friendly but no one could possibly be better than Tara! What a sweetheart! Very attentive, polite and friendly. She alone deserves 10 stars and a raise! My husband and I ordered burgers, mine very rare and his medium well. The kitchen had no trouble at all making each burger perfectly and the price could not have been better.

3  Thank ACapDiaz
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I have been here at least 6 times in the last few years. Every time I'm there, the downstairs dining room is FREEZING- the AC must be set to 60 degrees!! I always ask the server if they could raise the temp a few degrees and they all answer the same ridiculous way- "the owner wants it that way and we can't change it". UNBELIEVABLE!! We ate there Friday night Aug 31 and both of us had to get jackets from the car. Our excellent server Billie apologized profusely but we froze!!
The food was OK in the past, but appears to have slipped. I had the cream of corn soup, which was a good appetizer. My fish and chips came with those disgusting french fries that remind me of Burger Kings, with a greasy coating. The fish was good but thankfully, I ate it first so it didn't have a chance to quickly get cold, like the fries did from the AC.
Sue had the french onion soup which was good too. Her entree, a nice turkey club was good but the same disgusting fries accompanied it. By the end of the meal, we were frozen (as well as the fries) and had enough. Dessert was skipped.
We spent over $35.00 (we both had soda) for mediocre food in an uncomfortable atmosphere. I keep giving this place a chance but, that's it- never again!! Their reputation for food is rapidly declining and lots of people are aware of it. If the owners don't give a damn about the customer's comfort what more do you need to know? They can sit in their freezer and slowly drift away............
Next time you're in the area and want a great meal, drive right past this place. Go south 10 minutes to Warwick and have a great meal at Yesterdays Pub (best burger in Orange County 2012) or Fratello's for superb Italian and brick oven pizza. We sure wish we had done the same.

19  Thank GregRac