“Won't be back”

Dining options: Reservations
Suffern, New York
“Won't be back”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I have driven by this place hundreds of time in the past several years. It seemed to be popular enough so my husband and I gave it a try early in the evening on a Saturday night. The service was really lacking and the food was barely so-so. In addition, they were "out of" a soup that is on their menu. How are you "out of" a menu soup early on a Saturday evening? Tell me you didn't get the ingredients in or something. Don't tell me that your "out of it." That tells me that your management and chefs are really inexperienced.
We had to ask for drink refills more than once (as we were given the tiniest glasses ever for our drinks). Our first waiter seemed to disappear after taking our order and I think the table just wasn't reassigned.
There are so many better options in the Village of Suffern that we will not be back.

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank PoorTripPlanner
Eric C, Owner at Ole Ole Restaurant & Grille, responded to this review, February 26, 2015
Hi There!

We are disappointed we could only provide an average experience for you. We are rolling out a brand new menu in April (2015) and would love for you to come and try! Please ask for Eric and mention TripAdvisor as I would like you to try one of our new appetizers on me!

Ramsey N.j
“Good Margarita, Chips and Salsa”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Read some mixed reviews so we had to write one. We like Ole Ole.They make a great Margarita. As a matter of fact ,we take the train from Ramsey to Suffern -only 2 stops, because they make them so good. Grab a large pitcher and get a small for free most nights-just ask! They have fantastic chips and salsa. We both agree the nachos with black beans are really good. Sit at the bar and catch the game and meet a fun bartender or the owner who is there most nights. We never had a bad meal and feel this restaurant is a great date night place! Service is fast and they want to please.
Sean ansd Susan

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Crimms
Thank you so much for your review!

We hope to see you again soon!

Thanks,
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Don't bother”
Reviewed February 4, 2011

RIPOFF!!! Haven't been here in a number of years because of the slow service and unimaginative food. Because they opened a tapas bar we figured to give it one more chance. Was that a mistake. First we order a pitcher of Sangria. We asked if they had a small, but all they would serve is a large. When the sangria came, it was basically a full pitcher of ice with some red wine and a few pieces of fruit. About 6 scraps of orange and lemon. When I asked about the amount of ice, the waitress said that because they don't put ice in the glass, they put it all in the pitcher.

We ordered the Coco Shrimp for $8 which was 4 shrimp in a breading and some coconut. About the same quality as you would get if you bought them frozen from your grocery store. The Thai Tuna for $10 which was actually good, about 4 or 5 pieces. The Paella Skewers for $10 which were two, yes two skewers with a piece of shrimp, a piece of chicken and a piece of chorizo with some red onions on each. The total bill came to $66! The sangria (or pitcher of ice with red wine) was $33! When I questioned the waitress about the price of the sangria, she said she only worked there and didn't set the price.

Needles to say this will be our last time at Ole Ole. For true Mexican food with character and a much better atmosphere, try HACIENDA DON MANUEL just up the street. Better food, better sangria and better prices.

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank BFLY999
Hi There!

We are disappointed you had an unpleasant experience with us. We are rolling out a brand new menu in April (2015) and would love for you to come and try! Please ask for Eric and mention TripAdvisor as I would like you to try one of our new appetizers on me!

New York
“Manager lacks people skills; will not return.”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I went to Ole Ole Grill with my husband on a weekend night. There was a "Fortune Teller" woman walking around inside the restaurant, soliciting business. She came up to our table and interrupted our conversation. I politely declined her service, but she repeatedly came back to our table. We felt it intrusive and annoying. When I mentioned it to the manager at the end of the meal, he just shrugged off my comments, and told me that
"Noone else had ever complained about her." He evidently didn't find my feedback valuable. I will not return, as there are too many other restaurants in the area to patronize. By the way, the food was just mediocre.

2 Thank Momofthreegirls
MA
“Go somewhere else to eat in Suffern, NY.”
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I ordered food to go and it was not a pleasant experience. I should have known the moment I got off the phone with the person who took my order, rushing me off the phone, not even getting my name correct. The person who waited on me, treated me as if I was annoying her. She looked surprised when I had to ask her for plastic ware and napkins. When I got back to my hotel, I discovered she left out the dressing I requested for my salad. Good thing I got plastic ware now that I can't eat my salad. The quesedilla did not even taste that great, not to mention for the price I paid for it, I certainly did not get my money worth. I strongly recommend, from one traveling friend to another...there are plenty of other places to eat in Suffern, NY.

2 Thank WorkingWanderer