“the perfect vacation”

Stony Creek Ranch Resort
Great Neck, New York
“the perfect vacation”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This summer will be my 20-something-th time visiting the ranch. i love 1000 acres.

if you want a vacation where you can relax, see and experience nature, and find the good in the world, this is the place for you. if you want a vacation where you can drink all day and be completely hedonistic, this is the place for you. if you want a vacation where you can take the family on a kayak down the river, or into lake george to have fun in the wax museum or play at the arcade or have some ice cream, this is the place for you. whatever kind of vacation youre looking for, you can find it at 1000 acres. it is what you make it and want it to be, and that's the magic of the ranch.

these are my favorite things to do at the ranch:
1) go swimming in the river. it is cold, but totally exhillarating. just jump in. if there has been a lot of recent rain, the water will be extra cold, and the water-level may be higher so you cannot wade across, so strong swimmers only if this is the case. swim across to the little islands and go exploring. you may see some beautiful birds, or a frog, or even a deer. dont be afraid to embrace nature. water shoes are good to wear too.
2) fires by the riverside at night. bring beer and a guitar and friends.
3) EATING
4) putting countless songs on the jukebox while playing pool in the red dog (the bar at the ranch)

there are so many more things i love to do at the ranch, but this review is too long already. the one thing i plan on doing this summer when i go: seeing the thursday night fireworks in lake george. i found out last year that they have fireworks every thursday night in the summer. life doesnt get much better than that

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChewyKablooey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We had a great Memorial day weekend at 1000 Acres. We arrived on Friday and were not bored for 10 minutes the whole time we were there. The horses were well taken care of and healthy. They ran the gammit from slow and tame to fun and frisky. The wranglers were great at helping and making it fun. The trails were through beautiful peaceful woods. My daughter took several "extra" rides as well. Other activities included the pool (outdoor was CHILLY!!), rowboating and playing in the sand.
I was hesitant going given the mixed reviews-- but now understand both sides. This is not a fancy, luxery resort. The cabins are old and basic- not enough charm to call it rustic, but they were clean. We spent very little time inside anyways. The dinners we family style and while not gourmet, they were tasty. The kids could order something else if they did not like the menu of the day. The staff are not there with organized, stuctured activities, but they were friednly and helpful. There is plenty to do, you just have to make your own plan. There is a bar but we did not spend time there as we were with our kids- 7,5,3.
Bottom line-- this is a great loacation with fun activities for all. Our kids played the whole day, met other kids and were exhausted at the end of the day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I just have to respond to both the negative & positive reviews. It's been a while since I've been at 1,000 Acres but I feel like I have to stick up for them. I don't know what current conditions are but I agree that it was old in style and a bit run-down. I didn't expect a fancy place though! It's a RANCH people! The money it takes to care for the horses alone is ENORMOUS. The economy stinks. These people and places are a dying breed in and of themselves.
The staff was super friendly. The food was FANTASTIC (whoever said it wasn't good enough for cafeteria food obviously never attended public school!). It was, in fact, some of the best down-home food you could hope for (and there was plenty of it)! Try to get food like that at a five star hotel-good luck! This is one of the only places you can go back for thirds (thirds now, not seconds) and not have anyone give you the hairy eye-ball (yes, I am so guilty of it-their breakfast is fabulous-an entire plate full of fresh fruit alone :)
I met a ton of nice people from all over. The riding, granted, was a little boring due to the trails but the horses were absolutely lovely creatures, not a mean one in the bunch. They would come right over to you if you happen to wander over to their enclosure, just looking for some pats and rubs (they pose for pictures too!). The cowboys always fit us in when we wanted an extra ride. Just make sure they know and they will almost always find a way to work you in. The area shops had some fabulous hand-made things at extremely reasonable prices (clothes, boots, jewelry, etc.).
When you go to a place like this you have to be the kind of person that can just relax. If you're looking for thrills-a-minute go to Disney World or Alaska (depending on your personality). This place is laid back and friendly and it was exactly what I was looking for.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank XTraveler101
CT
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I just got back from a weekend at 1000 Acres Ranch Resort. I traveled with my wife and my two kids, 13 and 10. We also went with our best friends and their 4 kids ages 8-16. I read all of the reveiws on this website prior to booking and I was all set for the "rustic setting". When they say rustic, they really mean old. When I say old, I mean really old. This place is stuck in the 50's and some major updates should be done. I am going to be as honest as possible about my experience, both the good and the bad. First I will discuss the Good, Service, which was good for the most part, I will get into that more in depth later on. The food was very good and there is lots of it. I can honestly say that I was sick of eating when we left. ( I mean that In a good way). The Entertainment was ok. We were there from Friday to Sunday, on Friday and Saturday night there was a band (a different band each night) who were pretty good and the bar, Red Dog Saloon, was comfortable. The kids are allowed inside the bar and they can play video games and shoot pool while the adults relax and enjoy. The location was absolutely beautiful. The lanscape and horse back riding trails were great. The staff for the riding were great as well, very friendly and accomodating.
Now the bad: The first day we arrived at the ranch at around 12:30 pm. Check in was easy and efficient. We went to our rooms and as we expected, "Rustic" I mean Old. We didn't care because they appeared to be clean. " No TV" I didn't think it would be an issue and it really wasn't. When we got in we received an itinerary for the days activities. On the sheet it said please come and join us for our weeney roast in the main dining room. We decided that, that would be great after we went on a 2 O'clock ride. When we finished the ride, we went to the main dining room. Maybe I was expecting too much for a weeney roast, like someone manning a grill or something. When we got to the weeney roast, we got a metal bowl filled with raw hot dogs. Next to the bowl were several roasting skewers and some packages of hotdog buns. Since there was no one from the staff around we all grabbed some dogs, stuck em on a skewer and made our way to the fireplace that had a very nice fire going. Since that was the only heat source in sight, all 8 of us made our way to the fire with our dogs. So after we excused ourselves and stood in front of some of the other guests that were watching TV, we cooked our hotdogs. I thought this was cheesy and made the place look cheap, better to do nothing at all. Next, when my kids realized that there really wasn't much to do, they decided to go swimming in the indoor pool. The pool is very small and is accompanied by a large hot tub. The windows inside the pool area had green algea growing on them, and by the looks of it had been there for at least 2 weeks. (upgrade needed). Our friend had mice in their room which kept them up all night. because they had to keep the lights on to keep the mice from running across the floor. When they went to the desk to complain, they sent a maintainance man with one of those ultra sonic plug-ins. He was very nice and said just before leaving, " Make sure you don't leave any food out, goooood night". All of this was tolerable to a point, like right after we all drank an entire bottle of Crown Royal. On a personal note, I would like to say that what bothered me the most was the following. I would like to start by saying that we usually go to Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland NY. This year we decided to try a new place because Rocking Horse Ranch didn't have any good deals and weren't offering returning guests any discounts. I saved 500 dollars by going to 1000 acres. At Rocking horse ranch just like at 1000 acres, you are guarunteed 1 scheduled ride per day, the rest of the time you are on standby. At Rocking Horse, you can ride every ride no problem because they have more horses. At 1000 Acres we were turned away a few times. The main reason we go to these places is for the riding and we were very disappointed by this. That is not the worst part though. While we were waiting for a standby ride, a small group of people showed up and they had some tickets in their hands. They went on the ride and we were turned away again. We found out later that these people had just come to the ranch and paid for an individual ride. Meanwhile, the guests of the ranch who pay hundreds of dollars, (I paid 1,065 dollars and our friends paid 1700 dollars for the weekend) were bumped off of standby and had to go and find something to do. Personally, I believe paying guests should have presedence over anyone else. If the main reason for being turned away is because they didn't have enough horses, then fine, even more of a reason to give the guests of the ranch priority. ( This is a bad business practice and should cease). The end of the trip redeemed itself with a 2 hour ride that was spectacular. Overall, the trip was good, but we all will be going back to Rocknig Horse ranch next year.

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank Insano69
Ash W, Public Relations Manager at Stony Creek Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2017
Good Morning,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience back in 2009. 1000 acres ranch is no more as it is under new ownership and is now called Stony Creek Ranch Resort. Our new owners have been actively renovating and improving our grounds. Most of our rooms have been completely updated and stripped of the old carpeting. All of the rooms have been cleaned and do not have any mildew smells. We do not have a mice problem. As far as our activities go we pride ourselves in having our staff actually participate with you. There will never be an instance where you are left to your own devices under our new ownership. We have redone our indoor pool and also feature to outdoor pools. Our windows are also spotless. We also have an arcade and cinema! In regards to horseback riding, our guests are always first! The new owners are primarily focused on their guests and we offer very few rides to the public. Our saloon has been completely redone and boasts a beautiful wood interior and plenty of lighting! We are also doing a weekly rodeo on Thursdays with live entertainment on Thursdays through Saturdays. Our WiFi has been redone and is available throughout the property as well as all new TVs with functioning cable. Both our maintenance and housekeeping departments have put in a tremendous amount of effort over the last year and have made and continue to make the property prim and proper. As this message is being typed out there is more and more work being done to our property in order to beautify it for our current and future guests. I know that you had a less than favorable experience with 1000 acres but we really do hope that you will give Stony Creek Ranch Resort a try! We hope you have a wonderful day!
NJ
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I've been going to 1000 Acres for approximately 40 years now and it has always been the absolute best vacation I've gone on. My parents started taking me there when I was 9 years old, then I started going there with my friends, husband/s, boyfriends and son etc. etc. My son who is now grown always asks me when can we go up there again. The cowboys are the greatest, the horseback riding is the best, the bartender's, the waitresses and staff. The food is always unbelievable (expect to gain some weight or you definitely have enough to do to work it off). It's not the kind of vacation that all glitzy and glamorous - just plain laid back fun and relaxation if that's what you want. Plenty to do, and definitely do not need your cell phone or tv. Have been there with my girlfriends for the Fall Foliage weekend and I average going back about every 3 years or so. It's close to Lake George in case you want to shop or take any day trips there. It's a place I will never get tired of and I get truly excited when I plan a trip up there and I always get sad when it's time to leave. A really great place.

• Stayed October 2006
Mechanicville. NY
Reviewed June 28, 2009

My daughter and I just got back from three days at 1,000 Acres.
Okay, this is not the Hilton or even the Holiday Inn. However, if you're looking for a fun and relaxing stay at a beautiful setting, this is it.

Food - good (not gourmet) and plentiful
Setting - beautiful
Horse Operations - the horse, trails, cowboys and overall operations under the direction of Coral Boss Bruce are top notch. Although you are only scheduled for one ride daily, Bruce will do his best to fit in stand-bys. We got in two rides each day, and one couple rode four times in one day!
Accomodations - Strictly rustic, dating back MANY years. These are not first class accomodations but they provide a place to sleep and rest up in a very nice setting. Come with the right attitude and be willing to overlook the 50's decor and aging facilities and you'll be fine.
Notes - If you have questions about anything, ask. There is no "social director" and very little information is announced, so ask lots of questions.
Although there were direct dial phones and I was under the impression that local calls were free, I ran up a pretty good phone bill because only the first minute of the call is free.

In summary, go knowing that the facilites are rustic and dated, but that you are going to a ranch to relax and enjoy the horses and nature related activities and you'lll have a great time!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank js09629
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed June 20, 2009

My cousin and I had been talking about going to this Ranch for over an year. We finally found the right weekend to be able to go. We had a FABULOUS time!

ACCOMMODATIONS
I found that for the same price, there were quite a few different selections to choose from. They have private cabins, duplex cabins and "Lodge accommodations" (which are really more like motel/hotel rooms). When I called and made the reservervations I specifically asked for a private cabin. Not sure where we would hav been placed if I didn't inquire. If you are really lokoing to "get away from it all," then this is the place for you. From what we saw (by peeking in a window) of the lodge rooms, they were very small. Our cabin, on the other hand, was quite spacious. We had 1 queen sized bed, 1 double bed, and a love seat that opened up into a bed. There were also a table with 2 chairs, dresser, closet and full bathroom with tub. We had a private porch with 2 adirondack chairs and a small table. Word to the wise, none of the lodging choices have a T.V. We also suprisingly found that no rooms have a clock either! You will want to be sure to bring some type of clock with you as there are scheduled events throughout your stay (meals, rides, etc.). Overall, we were quite pleased with our cabin. It was very clean upon arrival, and was kept clean daily by the ranch staff.

MEALS
You will never be hungry! the meals are fantastic! Breakfast offers an assortment of homemade doughnuts, muffins, bread, etc. A variety of cold cereals and juices are also available. You can also order fresh "cooked to order" omlettes, pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, etc. Lunch is not as heavy of a mea. There are homemade soups, salads and a buffet of ingredients to make sandwiches. Dinners are served family style. There were always 2 main meat choices, pototato, vegetable, homemade rolls, along with a soup and salad bar. I could live on their rolls alone. Everyone is assigned a table number upon arrival, which remains you table number for all meals during your stay. At first I was hesitant with this "rule," but learned that there is nothing wrong with making new friends. By the second day we knew everyone at our table and looked forward to sharing our daily stories.

THE RED DOG SALOON
The Saloon is off of the main building and offers a variety of libations (at an extra cost). The bar is also where you request ice should you need any for your room/cabin. There is a daily happy hour, which includes very limited drink specials and free snacks. Staying in the saloon can up costing you quite a bit as the drinks are not cheap, however, the atmosphere in there is great. We treated ourselves to a couple of saloon drinks each day. It's a great place to let your legs relex after an afternoon ride. Later in the evening, the saloon livens up with music, dancing and of course, more food.

HORSEBACK RIDING
Every guest is assigned a ride time for each full day of their stay. (check the door in the office) On arrival day, there a couple of open ride times available for those who get there early. Every guest is required to sign a waiver if you are planning on riding. At your ride time, you head across the road to the barn. You are pretty much able to pick the horse that you want to ride. The cowboys that work at the ranch (and yes they are TRUE cowboys) are very knowledgeable andalways there to help. They get you set on your horse and then help you determine what level ride you want to take (Beginner - walk, Intermediate - walk/trot, Advanced- fast/gallop). The ride lasts about 45 min to an hour and winds through some beautiful countryside. All of the horses are extremely gentle and are used to being handled by different people. As a result, the trail rides are quite relaxing and enjoyable.

OTHER ACTIVITIES
Aside from the horseback riding, there are plenty of things to do. Ping-Pong, basketball, volleyball, indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzi, rowboats, boardgames, etc. You will find though, that just sitting on your porch relaxing is a perfect activity too!

STAFF
The staff is absolutely wonderful. Everyone greets you with a big smile and a warm hello. They are there to be sure you have a good time.

OVERALL
We had a wonderful girls' weekend. I have to be honest and admit that some of the reivews that were posted here made us somewhat leary about booking the trip. Please remember that you are gonig to a Dude Ranch, not a 5-star hotel. if you are looking for something different and looking for some relaxing peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, then check this place out. The overall package pricing is very reasonable. We had the most wonderful time and are planning on going back for the same weekend next year!

One last thing to note......there is no cell phone reception ANYWHERE on the ranch property. You have to drive about 2-3 miles in order to get reception. Every room does have a landline phone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank jhoo27
Super 8 Lake George/Warrensburg Area
The Georgian Lakeside Resort
The Georgian Lakeside Resort
#26 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Stony Creek Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!