“32 Year Return Guest”

Stony Creek Ranch Resort
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I found this resort in my early 20’s, I love to ride and the trails and horses are the best I’ve ever been to. It is a family resort if you are looking for the Ritz pass this 1 by for it is rustic, no TVs in the rooms no cell service but for me this is what I want, a get away from everything. I’ve over the years I've brought my GFs, wife and friends there and all have enjoyed it. The food is family style and very good, weekends in winter there are many activities summer all week and the staff goes out of their way to try to please you. For me it is like a second home for I travel the 220 miles to get there 4-5 times a year I meet up with people I’ve met over the years and always making new friends. For what you get is a great value.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank NJCowboyTed

Reviewed August 31, 2008

I gave 1000 Acres a 3 rating overall, but in fact, nothing there is a 3. Everything is either a strong 5 -- or a pathetic 1!

Let me start with the 5's...The magnificent setting in the southern Adirondacks along the Hudson River...The stable full of stunning horses available to ride and the friendly, professional, skilled cowboys who manage them as well as us novice riders...All the wonderful 1000 Acres staff, especially in the dining room where they brought us picky vegetarians special meals...Hey, the food itself, while not gourmet-quality, was rather good and lots of fun for kids.

Now the 1's...Basically, it's everything about the lodging. We had a $400 per day cabin (2 adults 1 child). We expected RUSTIC but got RUSTY instead. My husband joked that the mattress was the original one from the 1940's and I'm afraid he may be right! The bathroom plumbing was in sad shape. When trying to turn the hot water off in the shower, the entire faucet came off in my hand. You get the idea.

So next time, we'll go camping and visit 1000 Acres just for the horses.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Jasper55
Ash W, Public Relations Manager at Stony Creek Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2017

Good Morning,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience back in 2008. 1000 acres ranch is no more as it is under new ownership and is now called Stony Creek Ranch Resort. Our new owners have been actively renovating and improving our grounds. Most of our rooms have been completely updated and so have our mattresses! All of the rooms have been cleaned top to bottom. Our saloon has been completely redone and boasts a beautiful wood interior and plenty of lighting! We are also doing a weekly rodeo on Thursdays with live entertainment on Thursdays through Saturdays. Our WiFi has been redone and is available throughout the property as well as all new TVs with functioning cable. Both our maintenance and housekeeping departments have put in a tremendous amount of effort over the last year and have made and continue to make the property prim and proper. As this message is being typed out there is more and more work being done to our property in order to beautify it for our current and future guests. I know that you had a less than favorable experience with 1000 acres but we really do hope that you will give Stony Creek Ranch Resort a try! We hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed August 11, 2008

1000 Acres Ranch Web site boasted many things--country line dancing, bands, evening and daytime activites. In reality the country line dancing and bands only occur Thursday thru Saturday. We had signed up for the Sun-Wed minivacation so we missed these. The ventriloqust and the softball game on Monday night were fun. Sun and Tues are open Juke night so unless you enjoy drinking and numerous games of pool you run out of activity quick. The TV's in the lounges only get 2-3 channels and there are no TVs in the rooms.

The rooms are dark unless every light is on--5 in total. The linoleum is avocado green and there was a soft spot in the floor. WE never did see a vacuum cleaner. The showers are very small. In general its like stepping back into the 1970's and not well maintained.

The view was beautiful and we enjoyed the rowboats and kayaks. Also swimming was great. The deck and chairs could use some power washing.

The food was ok, our favorite was the grill dinner on Monday.

The notebook in our room called it the cadillac of ranchs, I would call it a pinto!!!

NO we did not book a return visit

3  Thank travelerwannabe_8

Good Morning,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience back in 2008. 1000 acres ranch is no more as it is under new ownership and is now called Stony Creek Ranch Resort. Our new owners have been actively renovating and improving our grounds. Most of our rooms have been completely updated and stripped of the old carpeting. All of the rooms have been cleaned and do not have any mildew smells. Our saloon has been completely redone and boasts a beautiful wood interior and plenty of lighting! We are also doing a weekly rodeo on Thursdays with live entertainment on Thursdays through Saturdays. Our WiFi has been redone and is available throughout the property as well as all new TVs with functioning cable. Both our maintenance and housekeeping departments have put in a tremendous amount of effort over the last year and have made and continue to make the property prim and proper. As this message is being typed out there is more and more work being done to our property in order to beautify it for our current and future guests. I know that you had a less than favorable experience with 1000 acres but we really do hope that you will give Stony Creek Ranch Resort a try! We hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed July 27, 2008

We just came back from a family reunion at 1000 Acres and would highly recommend this property as a great family vacation spot. The family theme starts with the owners who have been running the establishment for over 50 years. It is located on the Hudson River which is kind of neat when you think that this "rural" river ends up running past Manhatten and into the Atlantic Ocean. The last reviewer had a good picture showing just how much smaller it is closer to its source in the Adirondacks.
It is not fancy but too many so-called family resorts lose any sense of character by just being another version of a glitzy adult hotel. This place has plenty of character and is situated in a beautiful location in the southern Adirondacks. The dude ranch aspect of the resort makes it special. The wranglers truly enjoy their work and the rides were delightful. There were four ride times available each day and each guest was assigned a specific time which seemed to rotate each day. However, if you were not assigned to a ride time you wanted you could just show up and there usually were extra places. Those who don't ride horses shouldn't rule this place out because there are plenty of other things to do. We went kayaking down the Hudson with an outfitter and the trip ends right at 1000 Acres. There are two pools. There are hiking trails and there is a 9 hole golf course.
The bar is a lively place with entertainment just about every night. The meals are very good. They are served in a large dining room and are family style except for breakfast. There is an outdoor pavillion where a bar-b-cue is held on one night each week.
The rooms are either in cabins or in motel units. We were in a motel unit across the road from the main buildings and on the same side as the riding stable. It was fine. Again, it was not fancy but it was perfectly acceptable.
I think it is a particularly great spot for the purpose we needed--a family renunion. Each family can rent individually and can choose the number of nights they wish to stay. That way you can avoid the hassle of trying to split up the expenses. And, of course, it is all inclusive so you never have pay for each meal separately.
I get many travel magazines and I am surprised this place has not been written up more.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Northcountryman
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My son and I stayed at 1000 Acres from June 30 to July 3. Here is our review, the good and the not so good.

The Good

The horses were very healthy and appeared to be well taken care of. The riding trails were beautiful and the cowboys were very attentive to the riders.

Our waitress, Evelyn, was top notch. She made sure everyone at the table had everything they needed. She even hugged my son when we left!

Our room was clean and comfortable. This is definitely not a four star resort, but all we did was sleep and shower there. Be sure to bring your own drinks and snacks. There is a refrigerator in the room for your use.

The scenery is beautiful, the Hudson River was right outside our hotel room door. The mountains are beautiful. Everywhere you look was peaceful and serene. No honking car horns or sirens.

The two outdoor pools were clean and pretty. There was even a waterfall at the bigger pool. The indoor pool was okay, and the hot tub was great! The perfect place to relax after your horseback ride.

The food was good. Again, not four star, but it was good, and there was plenty of it. The homemade soups were excellent!

The Bad

The shower in our room had no hot water a couple of times. And I mean that we turned the hot water faucet on and no water came out! Calls to the main office yielded not much of a response. Luckily my son played with the valve and was able to get it turned on.

The people at the front desk are not very concerned about the guests. Questions were answered briefly and most of the time I felt like I was a bother to them. They really should improve their customer service if they want people to keep coming back.

All in all, I would definitely return. However, when you book ask lots of questions and make sure you are satisfied with the answers. It is definitely a great place for a family. The children's activities seemed to be a lot of fun for the younger kids, and there is plenty for them to do.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank wjsmks
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My family of four, celebrated my 50th birthday during Memorial Day weekend, along with 10 other relatives including my father-in-law who was celebrating his 75th birthday. We had the best time!! There was so much to do there from simple ping pong and foosball, to tennis and golf, horseback riding, hiking, line dancing.... For an extra fee we rented kayaks and played 9 holes of golf. The food was non-stop- we felt like we were on a cruise ship- and it was all very good. I am not a buffet style person, but this was a combination- serving soup and salad buffet style with the main meal and dessert brought fresh to your table. The staff works very hard to make your stay enjoyable and they have a lot to oversee- awesome people. The whole place brings you back to the early days when this is what families did- spent time together. The grounds and decor are very "original"- this is not a Disney version of an "Adirondacks style vacation spot", it's the real deal. (Some decor updates would be nice- it is a bit dark). Our cabin- #93 was the best location possible. Steps from the main building where all meals were served, where the bar and live music was and the indoor pool and hot tub. Our view looked right at the river through huge trees where we had our own picnic table. We laid out beach towels and could watch the kids play tennis. Being so close the bar was a bit loud one night- but that was our fault for going to bed so early- but we were exhausted with so much to do! I can see why people come back year after year- probably the best value for the money we've ever spent.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2008

My 20-something daughters and I just spent Memorial Day weekend here for a girls' get-a-way. It was recommended by a friend who has been bringing her son here, for years. We enjoyed our experience so much, we have booked Labor Day weekend 2008 and Mem Day w/e 2009.

We stayed in a duplex cabin. There was one double bed and two twins. There was ample room for the three of us. The shower was small, but the water was good and hot. Remember people, this is not the Ritz. Envision more like a step up from summer camp, when you were a kid.

The food was plentiful. I would call it "good". I would put in on par with a Shoney's buffet. They did have wonderful homemade rolls at dinner. Their outdoor barbeque one night, was especially good. Breakfasts offered eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage, homefries and toast. I just wish they had "real" maple syrup, as they are so close to Vermont.

This ranch is situated in some of the most beautiful country in the world. They have breathtaking scenery. Located with the Hudson River directly in front of you and a gorgeous mountain behind, along with miles and miles of trails, there is nothing lacking in ambiance.

They had very good horses. They seemed to be well cared for and I appreciated that they divide people into three levels at each ride....beginner, intermediate and advanced. They also offer private lessons if you want. The ranch hands are very friendly and attentive. I felt that they were very concerned with safety.

They have two outdoor pools. Only one was open this weekend. The indoor pool and hot tub were wonderful. The pool itself, was very, very warm and I loved it. There are swing sets for the kids, horseshoes, tennis courts, basketball, ping pong and others. During the week, in the summer, they have an activities director to keep the kids busy. I bet this would be great.

I would highly recommend this resort for families. Have fun!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Super 8 Lake George/Warrensburg Area
The Lodge At Harrisburg Lake
The Lodge At Harrisburg Lake
#1 of 3 in Stony Creek

Been to Stony Creek Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!