“good family gathering time!”

Stony Creek Ranch Resort
Brooklyn, New York
“good family gathering time!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

overall I enjoyed staying in this resort. Food is excellent, staff is very friendly and helpful. we have elderly, young children and infants in our group, and there are pretty of things to do for everyone(except for the infant OF COURSE). We stay at the Deer leap motel style room, is clean and comfortable. * one thing to keep in mind is this is not a 5 star hotel* this is a place to enjoy the nature and family time. no TV in the room, but there is Wi-Fi in the room. is better to bring your lap top or I-pad to check weather or stay connect with others. (no reception in facility, but you can use the phone in the room to dial out)
things you can do like golfing, horseback riding in the trail, pony ride for youngster, boating in the river, fishing, campfire, swimming pool, and basketball. this place help me clear my head and appreciate the nature and family. the only thing I would say is the facility need some update... we didn't use the indoor pool and tennis court, it need serious cleaning.
we also went to Lake George to take the steam boat ride $15/person, the boat ride is an hour long. Lake George is about 20 minute away from the ranch, is a cute town.
we booked on off-peak rate $144/person.
this is a good experience.

1 Thank rainbow888168

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to take our girls to the 1000 Acres Ranch after viewing their website and calling the office back in March of 2013. We are so glad we decided on booking our family vacation at the 1000 Acres Ranch. We arrived during lunch time and Big Mike the bartender greeted us 1st. If you remember the TV show Love Boat, Big Mike would be like Iassac the bartender. Maureen in the office greeted us next and told us to eat lunch before we checked in. One of our daughters couldn't come with us so we brought our youngest's friend, Maureen had to adjust our total bill DOWN because our guest was younger than my daughter. We didn't even ask her to do that. Maureen would be Captain Steubing's daughter. JIm the manager spent time with us in the Red Dog Saloon and he would be Captain Steubing. Bryan, one of the cowboys was like gopher. Ernie was like Doc and Josh was like the cruise director (yes Julie, sorry).

The point of this review is the staff was awesome from the beginning to the end!!! If Big Mike wasn't introducing us to other guests or to some locals, he was talking to us like we were old friends. I work in a customer influenced line of work and also worked in bars before....Big Mike was awesome. Bryan would meet and greet us by name at the barn and throughout the grounds. He made us feel welcome and included. Linda seemed very comfortable talking to the guests during the trail rides.

The food was excellent. A mixture of buffet, cook-to-order, cook out or family style meals were offered depending on the posted schedule for the day. We ate very well while we were at the ranch and always found ourselves looking forward to the next meal with an appetite due to all of the walking and activities that we participated in. Maureen matched our little family up with another family who was in from London England. Our girls enjoyed hanging out with their younger boys,,,,,it was a perfect match. Matthew did a great job serving our meals. Jenny did a great job preparing the food...real mashed potatoes with some skin still on it...the pork loin cooked perfectly (juicy with very little fat, awesome gravy and biscuits to go along with it).

The horseback riding was great!! Trails weren't flat. There were different geographical features and fooliage throughout the trails (streams, ponds, hills, sand, pine trees, hard woods). I'm sure it would look great during the fall and winter seasons as well. There were 3 levels of riding (slow, medium, fast) for those with a lot of experience or who showed the ability to control their horse. Their horses were well behaved but had some independance to what they did.

Our room was rustic but clean and comformtable. We have an excellent view of the Hudson River and the beds were very comfortable.

I'm sure I'm missing something in this review but that will just give you the opportunity to enjoy the experience yourself. I would recommend the 1000 Acres Ranch to anyone. We were very relaxed the entire time we stayed there. We knew the place was a hit with the girls when they asked us if we really had to leave!!! Try it, you'll like it!!!!

2 Thank Scott R
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband's family were friends with the original owners of 1000 Acres Ranch, a long long time ago! My husband and his sister remembered a wonderful experience going there as teenagers. My husband & I live in Saratoga Springs and twice we have gone to 1000 Acres, as "public" guests. Once for a Mother's Day brunch a few years ago when we brought my mother in law, who was in her 80s, to see it once again. Since I am not from NY, and don't have a childhood history of the place, I thought it was very dated and old and musty. The Mother's Day buffet was mediocre food. Fast forward to 8/3/13 and my husband and I were taking a day's drive through the Adirondacks and decided to stop at 1000 Acres for supper. We saw a sign saying the Red Dog Saloon was open to the public, so we went in to the large front desk area and asked if we could get supper there. (My husband thought we could eat in the dining room, but that was only for the guests). At first the staff behind the desk just looked at us like we had 2 heads. Then I told them that we were not guests, just traveling through. Finally, a very friendly and jovial man said sure we could get fed! (Turns out he runs the golf course). He led us to the Red Dog Saloon, which is a very large, darkish room with a dance floor, old carpet, bunch of brown tables, pool table and a large bar. He introduced us to the bartender and gave us a menu of appetizers, salad and sandwiches. We were at the time, the only people in there. The bar was rather dark and dingy, the windows along the side with a view of the river were dirty, the martini glasses hanging over the bar were dusty, the popcorn machine (which they were using) was filthy. We went ahead and ordered sandwiches, while my husband reminisced with the bartender, until more people came in and it got busier, mostly with the cowboys and staff who all know each other. I didn't like my sandwich since one of the ingredients had been substituted with onions, which I hate. Nobody told me that was going to happen, or I would not have ordered that particular sandwich! All in all, my husband is done with thinking about 1000 Acres as that "special place" of his youth and sees the reality. It is rather dark and musty, the furniture, carpets, bathrooms, haven't been updated in years! And it needs a very thorough cleaning.

2 Thank Carly11-10
Ash W, Public Relations Manager at Stony Creek Ranch Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Good Morning,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience back in 2013. 1000 acres ranch is no more as it is under new ownership and is now called Stony Creek Ranch Resort. Our new owners have been actively renovating and improving our grounds. Most of our rooms have been completely updated and stripped of the old carpeting. As far as our activities go we pride ourselves in having our staff actually participate with you. There will never be an instance where you are left to your own devices under our new ownership. We have redone our indoor pool and also feature to outdoor pools. Our windows are also spotless. We also have an arcade and cinema! In regards to horseback riding, our guests are always first! The new owners are primarily focused on their guests and we offer very few rides to the public. Our saloon has been completely redone and boasts a beautiful wood interior and plenty of lighting! We are also doing a weekly rodeo on Thursdays with live entertainment on Thursdays through Saturdays. Our WiFi has been redone and is available throughout the property as well as all new TVs with functioning cable. Both our maintenance and housekeeping departments have put in a tremendous amount of effort over the last year and have made and continue to make the property prim and proper. We have a solid team who respect our guests and aim to make every moment here at the ranch the best one! As this message is being typed out there is more and more work being done to our property in order to beautify it for our current and future guests. I know that you had a less than favorable experience with 1000 acres but we really do hope that you will give Stony Creek Ranch Resort a try! We hope you have a wonderful day!
Boston
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just returned from a truly fun week at 1000Acres Ranch with our large extended family. From the moment we arrived we were warmly met by Maureen and Danielle in the office. The weather was hot, but the outdoor pool was refreshing, Red Dog Saloon was cool and the drinks were cold, served by great bartenders, Michael and Rissa , who would stay as long as we wanted…every night. The food was good, hot , and plentiful, prepared by chef Jennifer and served family style. The dining room staff went out of their way to accommodate our large group. The activities director made sure there were games to play if we wanted .The staff ( and I mean everybody, the cowboys, the chef, the waitstaff, the bartenders, etc.) vs guests softball game was a highlight. Katie, the children’s director was terrific, the kids loved her. The riding was brilliant, the cowboys and cowgirls brought us on beautiful rides to different areas every day. Trail Boss Emmy was professional and very attentive to our young riders who were a bit anxious. By the end of the ride, the kids were thoroughly enjoying the experience and asking to go again. Cowboy Ernie, the in-house music entertainer, provided us with songs at dinner, a talent show with guests and a campfire sing along for the children and was enjoyed by kids and adults alike. The rooms are basic, but we only were inside to change or sleep. The housekeeping staff made our beds and provided us with clean towels every day. The location is spectacular along the Hudson River, where you can swim or fish, with the lush, green mountains as a back drop. They do have internet service but the best part is there is no cell service. You can pick cell service up a short drive down the mountain, if you have to. We made many new friends. It was a beautiful week and fun was had by all…so much so, we already booked for next year.

Room Tip: Ask when you call as there are many different types of rooms , some have bathtubs, some connect, som...
1 Thank IrishBoston
Farmingville, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We took our three very lively grandsons up to the ranch for 5 days. No television and no computer games and I thought maybe we would have a hard time keeping them occupied. That did not happen. There is so much to do, boating, fishing, swimming and of course horseback riding through some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere. The staff is so accommodating, courteous and helpful. Josh the activity director took the boys (8,9 and 10) on a hike up the mountain behind the barn and snapped breathtaking pictures of them on a stony ledge. Gorgeous!!!! The food is wonderful and so plentiful. You never walk away hungry, that's for sure. Their chef Jen makes certain of that. Everyone we met agreed that this place is a little bit of heaven and really did not want to leave. We're looking forward to our next trip up there for the Thanksgiving weekend. I know what to expect - this will be our second year celebrating Thanksgiving away from home but we're looking so forward to it. No cooking, no dishes, just pure enjoyment!!!!!

1 Thank Marilyn G
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Disappointed with the service. I was treated very poorly and management was rude... It will never be the same with Gerard. Wish they could carry on his professionalism. The place has so much to offer. All the old great staff is unfortunately gone. Food was ok. The spirit of the place is dull.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank JGMomma
Good Morning,
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have been going to 1000 Acres for 25 years, give or take! The air smells better up there, the horse back riding is breath taking, the pools are refreshing and the bar has great food and VERY accommodating bartenders ... who night after night will stay up with you (however late it may be) laugh with you and serve you like an old friend! There is an activities director who can help fill your day for adults and kids! I go with my entire family, aunts, uncles, cousins, we meet lots of other friends/families every year up there also, and we make new friends. As a hard worker, what I love the most is my cell phone does NOT work so I am forced to relax, enjoy myself and not worry about anything. The food this year was AMAZING, my hat goes off to their new chef, the only problem was too much of it, a wide variety was offered, and everything was delish!!! I just left there on Sunday and cannot wait to go back. They have had some set backs, a few flooding issues, a fire etc. etc. but they are working through them. I hope the owner sees the light at the end of the tunnel and keeps on plugging though and makes some of the necessary upgrades that every place needs. I cannot imagine my life without this place! Keep up the good work. I would HIGHLY reccommend this vacation to anyone who likes to camp and the outdoors!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stony Creek
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake George
Courtyard Lake George
Courtyard Lake George
#4 of 88 in Lake George

Been to Stony Creek Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!