“A great place to ride”

Stony Creek Ranch Resort
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just spent a couple's weekend at 1000 Acres Ranch and I have to say I never been on a vacation where every single member of the staff was amazing. They were friendly, courteous, helpful and had real country charm. My husband and I live in Brooklyn, New York & you'd think we'd be uncomfortable in a different environment when in fact it was the total opposite. If anyone is looking for a serious western dude ranch experience in New York then this is the place for you. I loved that there was no technology, no reception, no t.v. You really got to experience the great outdoors.

The surrounding landscapes was beautiful. The mountains and lake were breathtaking and there was so much land to do different activities. It was fun to do bonfires, rowing, sports, and swimming. The jacuzzi is a must!

However, what made our experience fabulous were the ranchers or wranglers I should say that helped out daily with the horses, the trails, and spending time with us. They were funny, informative, cautious and you can see how much they truly have passion for what they do. I love riding horses but sadly being in the city makes it difficult to ride daily but I'd tell you if I didn't have to work I'd be at this ranch everyday. My husband and I had to spend one day there just the two of us and they were so nice in letting us hang out with them & bbq. They taught us how to be a true cowboy. We initially thought we'd be bored being there alone but nope, the ranchers were so much fun & inviting.

I truly loved my experience and we do plan to return in the Fall and Winter.

I guess the only downer I could say about the ranch was that we did look forward to certain activities that we weren't able to do because some of the equipment at that time weren't able to be used. Example we wanted to fish, which was included, but the poles weren't functioning and we were told we'd have to go buy bait someplace else down the road. We personally couldn't do that because we took the train upstate so driving places wasn't able to happen. However, it wasn't really a big deal since there was so much else to do on the ranch.

Anyways, I recommend it to anyone who wants a real experience. Nothing posh and uppity but truly western feel. It makes me even more proud to be living in such an amazing state.

Room Tip: Unless you are staying in the much bigger, private cabins be aware that if you stay in delux or stan...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 5, 2013

this was my third time at the country couples weekend get away, and once again i was NOT let down. Our waitress Brandi did an amazing job, she was tentive, always smiling and a please to see while dining< Jen the cook was amazing the food was out of this world!! Management was absolutely fantastic, Jim and Michelle made us feel like family once again! The wranglers (kate, bryan,steve,linda) showed us an amazing time on the trails, great rides, and lots of laughs! I rode a LOT this time around and Emmy pushed me to advance my riding and im so happy he did, it was one of the best rides i had had!! Thanks everyone again for an amazing weekend away, cant wait to return in october!

Room Tip: Any where you chose you have an amazing view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mamsam1302
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We’ve have had the great pleasure to stay at 1000 Acres Guest Ranch in Stony Creek, NY the last 9 years during the summer. We look forward to this trip all year! The setting is simply gorgeous with the Hudson River running alongside the ranch and ranch golf course. The horseback riding trails crisscross thru the beautiful wooded areas. But the entertainment alone is worth the trip. We are all impressed that the Ranch is lucky enough to have a national western entertainer Ernie Sites. Cowboy Ernie not only provided wonderful entertain for our children but he made every one of us feel real welcome. The food is plentiful and varied including a weekly barbeque. The accommodations are basic and clean but lend themselves to the natural setting. But we don’t go there to stay in the room!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Annually my country line dance group goes to "The Ranch" for our weekend away together. This year was the best ever! The new management has made improvements and it shows. The service was excellent. We had a blast eating, drinking, dancing and horseback riding. Can't wait for next year!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

There is so much I want to say about our experience at the ranch this year. First of all, the check-in girls make it so easy for 30 something people to check in at the same time without a hitch, also very accommodating to our every need. I worked with Michelle at the front desk and this made my work to pull this week-end together much easier. She kept in contact with me constantly. The new management, Jim and Michelle make a superb host and hostess. They went all out for my dancing group. It was great to see them participate with us in every activity. The new activities were well planned, and very much liked by my group. Thanks to our waitress Carolyn for her excellent service, friendliness, and always ready to help. She is a great waitress. The food was much better and more plentiful this year than any other. Halloween Party and the band were great. I only got praise from my group, not one bit of negativity about your people. The rooms were rustic but great. The view is spectacular from every room. What could be any better than this. Good time had by all! Already reserved our rooms for next year, we'll see you then. Thanks to all again, Charleene O'Donnell

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Thanks to the new managers!! Halloween weekend was the best. Learned new country line dances that were fun. Great room, clean with great view of the river and mountains. Loved our waitress Carolyn, so enthusiastic and friendly. Great staff, always helpful. Hayride fun as was the Halloween Party contest. Been going to 1000 Acres for a few years, and this year even better with the new managers.

1  Thank Marie K
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Just returning from my 5th Halloween weekend at the Ranch
Great new management and staff; accommodating and friendly. They really made us feel at home and interacted with their guests.
They made every minute so much fun.
Can't wait for next year !

1  Thank Margaret H

Been to Stony Creek Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!